Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Like Tree4Likes

Old 02-21-2015, 03:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
They call me B. Jason

XBMC/Kodi Boxes

So, I'm cutting the cable cord and getting rid of Netflix. Just ordered a Gbox-Q and it will be here in a couple days. Anyone else have something similar and can offer any advice on setting it up? Which addons and repos can you recommend?
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 01:17 PM   #2 (permalink)

I've use Kodi / Plex / Media Browser

Kodi / Plex on Amazon Fire TV Stick. Media Browser 3 on XBOX 360 via MS Media Center

Kodi
The most difficult of the bunch to setup. GUI doesn't lend itself favorably to stick players (though I did find a skin that's OK). h.265 stutters. Setting up Kodi takes patience.

Plex
Easiest to use but the least configurable - not very flexible when it comes to types of media (it's either a TV show, movie, or it doesn't exist).

The non-free version is outrageously expensive - not worth the price, IMHO.
Play h.265 well, though I haven't tried high-profile 265 - they take forever to encode.

Media Browser
My favorite but it doesn't have robust client support. Supports parental control ratings, alternate content (DVD specials, etc), but I haven't seen a Fire Stick port. If there was a way to run Media Browser on my stick, I'd dump Kodi and Plex. But for now, were I to want to use MB, I have to launch the xBox and Windows Media Center. Not worth it. Haven't tried h.265 but plays 264 well. Fast Forward and rewind suck, but I believe that's more the fault of Windows Media Center and the XBOX than Media Browser.

On my iOS devices, I bypass using a media organizer and run AirVideo HD.
Don't watch content on my Androids.

For capture, I use HDHomeRun Prime or offload content from my Tivo via kmttg.

"That's me -- call me crazy, call me a pervert, but this is something I enjoy."
- Boogie Nights

Last edited by william; 02-21-2015 at 01:20 PM.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

I have been running xbmc on an on old laptop for years with great success. XBMC+Sabnzbd+Sickbeard+a good usenet indexer is pretty much all you need to watch just about anything you want. There are all sorts of plugins for streaming music and podcasts too.
da_ticklah and Los like this.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:33 AM   #4 (permalink)
They call me B. Jason

That's what I'm hearing. Pretty much anything can be found and streamed, just need the right addons or repositories. My box should be arriving today.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:52 AM   #5 (permalink)

if you can get ahold of a jailbroken Apple TV version 2 (the small black one that can't do 1080p), then I recommend getting ATV Flash Black 2 (it's $30 but if you're already downloading TV shows and movies then I bet you can find it for free SOMEHOW). I download whatever I want to watch on my laptop into a shared folder on my network, and then I pop over to my Apple TV, fire up the Infuse channel, and watch it on the big screen. Couldn't be simpler! You can install XBMC too if you like, but I found the interface to be too clunky and unstable. Note that it's crucial that you get version 2 of the Apple TV since version 3 can't be jailbroken.
Old 02-28-2015, 08:31 AM   #6 (permalink)
2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89vision View Post
I have been running xbmc on an on old laptop for years with great success. XBMC+Sabnzbd+Sickbeard+a good usenet indexer is pretty much all you need to watch just about anything you want. There are all sorts of plugins for streaming music and podcasts too.

%s/XBMC/Plex/g and that's my setup

replace XBMC with plex and thats my setup
Old 02-28-2015, 01:50 PM   #7 (permalink)

Have you figured out a way for extra content or non-IMDB/TVDB videos to coexist with indexed content?

ie
Blu Ray extra features

one off older tv shows or segments which do not appear in a database.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:06 AM   #8 (permalink)
2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer

Some not all trailers and bonus content will come in with Plex (paid version) but I understand you can feed KODI a full DVD image and it will the disc's native menu structure. As for old content that are not in any DB you can manually label in plex and import cover art of your choosing, Nothing i would want to en masse but i have done it a handful of times for some old cartoons i had transcoded over from some old schol real media files.
Old 03-18-2015, 06:19 AM   #9 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

I'm finally getting rid of all cds and dvds. I'd like to rip the dvds to a format that will play on my iPhone.

Any suggestions?
Old 03-19-2015, 01:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
Los

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enunciated Piffle View Post
I'm finally getting rid of all cds and dvds. I'd like to rip the dvds to a format that will play on my iPhone.

Any suggestions?
I haven't ripped any video to iTunes, but Freemake makes some easy to use software if you don't want to use Handbrake or a paid program. I doubt that it will allow you to get around DRM though.

DVD to iTunes Converter | Convert DVD to iTunes Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by william View Post
Have you figured out a way for extra content or non-IMDB/TVDB videos to coexist with indexed content?

ie
Blu Ray extra features

one off older tv shows or segments which do not appear in a database.
I use the VideoExtras addon for Kodi, and added it as a favorite in the Aeon Nox skin.

Add-on:VideoExtras - Kodi

With Kodi, you'll need to write your own .nfo files for videos that aren't in IMDB or TVDB, and put them in the same folder with the video. You can do this for bonus content too if you don't want to use the addon.

NFO files - Kodi