Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Are microwaves safe?
Yes 70 86.42%
No 11 13.58%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree73Likes

Old 04-01-2014, 04:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

1953: Headstoned

with Lauren Hennessy

April Fools' Day, bicycle riding in NYC, the danger of microwaves, the need for cemeteries

Share this episode: Headstoned (Keith and The Girl) - Comedy Talk Show & Podcast

Subscribe for free: Keith and The Girl podcast on your iPhone, iPad and iPod with iTunes
Hennessy likes this.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 05:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

Everything is a little more delicious in the oven compared to a microwave. I plan ahead, and unless I'm in a huge rush, I will try use the oven over the microwave. Microwaves are always going to be more convenient but it's possible to not use one if you try. Whenever Keith mentions something he microwaves, I realize that I usually make that food from scratch. So it's also a lifestyle change that you'd need to make, but it's healthier to cook the food yourself. It's rare that I buy microwaveable frozen food. The only thing I use a microwave for is leftovers now and then. And steak in a microwave is batshit nuts.

As for the cemetery discussion: I completely understand where Keith is coming from. However, cemeteries seem to be an old concept in modern societies. How about everyone gets cremated and we can use up our own space if we want to keep the ashes. No need to have a "creepy" head stone anywhere in your house, keep a part of your loved one in your living vicinity and free up space elsewhere in the city.
Bucho and Hennessy like this.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

Wink Microwaves

I think food that is prepared fast is just bad for you. Care and preparation it what food is all about. We all lead busy lives. After living in Japan for six years I came back and realized how shitty American food is. I think it important to get involved in some kind of cooking class to avoid poisoning yourself slowly. I used AirBnB and visited someone who lived off the grid. I felt good. I ate good. No microwave.
shoebootie and Hennessy like this.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

I have a very sexy bluetooth headset which, in addition to being a mad chick magnet, lets me listen to podcasts off my phone up to about 10m away.

When I stand near the microwave, the audio chops out and sometimes it also drops pairing.

Yeah, I'm sure nothing bad is happening to my head. I figure that the radiation from the headset is cancelling out the radiation from the microwave.

That just leaves the radiation from the phone, which is slowly cooking my balls.
Bucho, Scat, focusthief and 3 others like this.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:37 PM   #5 (permalink)

Microwaves are absolutely safe. On the electromagnetic spectrum they're between visible light/infrared and radio waves. The most likely injuries from your microwave are burning your mouth on hot food/liquids or dropping it on your foot while moving it. Neither of these cause cancer.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaTurtleSoup View Post
Microwaves are absolutely safe. On the electromagnetic spectrum they're between visible light/infrared and radio waves. The most likely injuries from your microwave are burning your mouth on hot food/liquids or dropping it on your foot while moving it. Neither of these cause cancer.
If they're that safe, then why don't they keep running when you open the fucking door?

btw, nice username
Hennessy likes this.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:54 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scumhook View Post
If they're that safe, then why don't they keep running when you open the fucking door?

btw, nice username
Thanks.

They turn off so that they don't cook things you don't want to, not because all the scary radiation is going to escape. You can hurt yourself with a regular oven. If you wan't to break your microwave so it cooks with the door open, you can, but don't expect any super powers.
Hennessy likes this.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:04 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanks.

They turn off so that they don't cook things you don't want to, not because all the scary radiation is going to escape. You can hurt yourself with a regular oven. If you wan't to break your microwave so it cooks with the door open, you can, but don't expect any super powers.
Hennessy likes this.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:09 PM   #9 (permalink)

Are you implying that microwaves gives midgets night vision? Because I'm not sure the science backs that up.
Hennessy likes this.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:19 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Are you implying that microwaves gives midgets night vision? Because I'm not sure the science backs that up.
I am currently microwaving a Canadian midget.

I shall post my results when the testing is complete...
ghauck, Hennessy, JSZilla and 2 others like this.