Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Is our food unsafe because of chemicals?
Yes. If these chemicals were safe companies would list them on the package. 27 40.30%
No. Everything is a chemical as it is. 40 59.70%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree110Likes

Old 07-09-2014, 11:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

2010: Jagged Little Pill

With Michael Khalili – Michelle Obama; the history of The Middle East; the future of India

Guest:
Michael Khalili

Share this episode: Twitter, Facebook & email

Get the show: on iTunes, on Stitcher and RSS feed
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 03:02 AM   #2 (permalink)

I stayed at my wife's Uncle's house in India and it did have a toilet. It didn't have any pipes though, it just went straight out into the garden for the pigs to eat.
We had pork for dinner and I found out afterwards that it was one of their pigs. I hate to say it but it was the best pork I have ever eaten.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Did you guys say that the Apple app is in the store now? I believe you meant the Android app?
Old 07-10-2014, 08:28 AM   #4 (permalink)

Based solely on the fact that one stand-up-a-thon-er, (a person who has their own KATG spin-off no less) put forth about as much effort as JFOD on a weekday morning, yes. Michael should absolutely do stand up.

Michael is very funny, (pause for reader acknowledgement) but does one thing many comedians forget to do: write. Michael, (stop for emphasis) is smart, but also has a work ethic. Who cares how funny you are if you don't try up on stage??

I think Michael would kill it on stage. Also, would love to hear him sprinkle important atheist tidbits/ political whatnot into his show.
The Girl and MichaelApproved like this.
Old 07-10-2014, 09:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

This is kinda long, but its a good funny explanation of what alternative medicine is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhGuXCuDb1U
Old 07-10-2014, 09:34 AM   #6 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianAlt View Post
Did you guys say that the Apple app is in the store now? I believe you meant the Android app?
I took a gamble. It should be up very shortly.
MichaelApproved likes this.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:52 AM   #7 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Ah! Very cool. How's the vacay? See any cool glaciers?
Old 07-10-2014, 11:42 AM   #8 (permalink)

The poll is a trick.

The word "chemical" is generally used to describe a man-made substance, but that's technically incorrect. (Kind of like saying a tissue is a Kleenex.) Everything is a chemical, including so-called "natural" or organic ingredients. Pure water is a chemical compound: H20

Our food supply definitely contains man-made substances.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:43 AM   #9 (permalink)
Administrator
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Canines View Post
Based solely on the fact that one stand-up-a-thon-er, (a person who has their own KATG spin-off no less) put forth about as much effort as JFOD on a weekday morning, yes. Michael should absolutely do stand up.

Michael is very funny, (pause for reader acknowledgement) but does one thing many comedians forget to do: write. Michael, (stop for emphasis) is smart, but also has a work ethic. Who cares how funny you are if you don't try up on stage??

I think Michael would kill it on stage. Also, would love to hear him sprinkle important atheist tidbits/ political whatnot into his show.
Thanks! I have a note on my phone with various things that I found funny over the years. Eventually, I'd like to turn that into a 10 minute performance but I know that a solid 10 minutes would take me many hours to refine.

Right now, I'm using my free time to get back into poker here on the east coast. The plan is to start with small games and a small bankroll then work my way up. So far, it's going OK but I don't have as much free time to play as I'd like.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:55 AM   #10 (permalink)
Administrator
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bithead View Post
The poll is a trick.

The word "chemical" is generally used to describe a man-made substance, but that's technically incorrect. (Kind of like saying a tissue is a Kleenex.) Everything is a chemical, including so-called "natural" or organic ingredients. Pure water is a chemical compound: H20

Our food supply definitely contains man-made substances.
But man-made VS. natural VS. processed are also meaningless descriptions. Each of those categories can have unhealthy and even poisonous foods. That's why I'm so frustrated when I hear those words to describe things. It's a meaningless description.

It's like saying corporations are evil. Guess what? Keith and The Girl, LLC is a corporation. That local mom & pop coffee shop? They're a corporation too. Pretty much all professional organizations are incorporated.

I think I know what people are trying to say when they use the words processed and corporations but I believe that conversations barely scratch the surface when only those words are used.

If you want to talk about food that's bad, don't say "it has chemicals", talk about which chemicals it has in it. For instance, is "trans fat" what you're concerned about? Does it have too much sugar? Which kind of sugar?

If you want to talk about corporations that are evil, talk about what they do that is evil. Are they promoting legislation that violates human rights? Do they break the law in some way? Are they doing something extremely unethical that should be banned with new laws?

Explain yo self.