Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Are you able to joke about the death of a close relative?
Yes 18 69.23%
No 8 30.77%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree35Likes

Old 05-31-2017, 10:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

2642: The Gang’s All Here

with Laurie Kilmartin – Children movies; ride shares; Keith’s favorite bits; political family strife; catcalling and fighting back; 45 Jokes About My Dead Dad

Guest:
Laurie Kilmartin

Share this episode: Twitter, Facebook & email

Get the show: on iTunes, on Stitcher and RSS feed
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 11:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer

can't answer the poll just yet. Only persons in my family who have died are a grandmother I never met and didn't know till she died and a cousin 20 years older than me. I'll come back to pick an option when I someone closer dies.
Old 05-31-2017, 11:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

cool story about my Papaw dying:

the church i was raised in had a lot of old people in it, so i started attending funerals early and often. it is why florist flower smell super freaks me out. as an adult, the ritual and process of death is kind of old hat and i'm getting access to more and more intimate parts of it. Papaw died in his own bed; it was a good day, a good night, and a good death. my parents and brother and uncle and cousin gathered in the morning with my Mamaw to wait for the coroner.

now, it's awful dangerous for me to get bored. all the initial things, the crying, the singing, the acknowledgement of weight in the moment had passed and it kind of dropped into chillin' mode. /that's/ when the coroner showed up. i imagine they train them in proper demeanor when picking up a body b/c when i hopped up on Papaw's death bed right after they pulled him off it and started asking questions about what he had in his bag, his eyebrow went up. i knew he wanted me to shut up and get in line with how this usually goes,…but then he opened the back of his dead body mobile and i got real curious...

it's important to note my Daddy was an EMT just before the AIDS crisis hit full swing--i think he left b/c he was scared, he would have made a fine nurse--and i grew up using his old medical encyclopedias as a picture book. i was the youngest and everybody thought it was very cute. so, my parents and brother and uncle and cousin watching me assault this elected official like a tourist at Buckingham Palace thought it was very funny, my little game of mischief and disapproval. when we talk about that day we usually end up in fits of laughter over it still. that guy was a real bummer.
kaligula likes this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aunt_helen View Post
Laugh a little, chigger. The world is a fun place.

Last edited by Sparrow; 06-01-2017 at 12:02 AM.
Old 06-01-2017, 08:12 AM   #4 (permalink)

Keith! 5.11 taclite shorts. Wonderful cargo shorts. The rear pockets are slanted for easy access and there's a mag pouch that you could put a flashlight or multitool in. Just saw the IG pic for this episode.
Old 06-01-2017, 03:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Does making jokes about my brothers suicide attempt while he was still in a coma count? If so, put me down for a "yes" on the poll.
Keith, The Girl, Bucho and 3 others like this.
Old 06-01-2017, 04:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

My grandma died today, don't think I can joke about that yet but I'm pretty glad she died now and not later. Dementia and old age are not nice and she went relatively peacefully.
Old 06-01-2017, 05:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

Jesus Christ, you can have your own thread.

What a killjoy.
Old 06-01-2017, 06:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Jesus Christ, you can have your own thread.

What a killjoy.
I'm sorry for what I am to be sorry for.
Old 06-02-2017, 06:19 AM   #9 (permalink)
2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Hugs
Lanfear and Mermaid like this.
Old 06-02-2017, 02:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

Poll

How do you joke about pancreatic cancer?! It's SO brutal.

I mean, it is pretty weird how their skin turns yellow. Like the Simpsons...

It's a tough one. I don't like talking about it. The worst is when someone you just met, is explaining how their dad died. This odd, slightly inferred, competition begins. Who's death was more brutal and stuff.

Oh. Here's something funny. My crazy Pill-popper Aunt loves to chain smoke. When my mom found her smoking in the house, IN the living room with him she freaked out.

He was like. I have cancer in my spleen, liver, and pancreas. Possible lung cancer is the least of my concern.