Thread: the cat thread
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2009, 05:03 PM   #76 (permalink)
ihatethesooners

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotQuite View Post
If you don't wanna get him declawed, go to your local garden center and get a 97 cent spray bottle. Fill it with water,and set it to spray a stream. Whenever the cat does anything you don't want it to, light him up from across the room with it. The cat doesn't associate the stream with you and won't end up hating you. A squirt gun will work too but the bottle can sit next to your remote/computer/nightstand for weeks on end without leaking. My wife has 2 cats (with claws)and I've trained both this way and they haven't ever messed up anything since they were kittens. That being said I like dogs (works on them too).
Quote:
Originally Posted by j2x View Post
yeah, but this method would actually require some effort and discipline on the pet owners part...
It also requires never going to work and monitoring your cat every waking moment. I used the same method to train my cat, but like I said, she was not destructive at all. If Jeff's cat wants to destroy stuff, it will just learn to wait until he's gone to work before it comes out and claws furniture. The water bottle method could simply train the cat to hide from Jeff when he's home, not that it's bad to scratch furniture.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote