Thread: Android?
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2010, 10:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tech007

I am enjoying my Android experience. It is a bit new and they have about 6 version of their OS on all the different handsets. Check all the reviews and pay atttention to what your carrier did to roon the phone.

The purist Android geek doesn't want their cell company breaking their phone ( i.e At&T removed google search and replaced it with Yahoo??!!)

Here in Canada the android phones are rare and being messed with by the carriers. So it helps to do a jailbreak kind of trick and root them to run a mod called Cyanogen. This gets you updated software way sooner than the carriers have been able to roll it out.

FYI I run the latest Cyanogen 6 mod on an old HTC Magic that gives me Froyo/Android 2.2. Newer phones like the Galaxy, Droid X and EVO have 1 Ghz CPU's and 2.1 or 2.2 that make them sing. I highly recommend CM mods if you are a geek and do not have 2.1 or 2.2 on your phone. Voice recognition, location based apps, GPS NAV, Multi tasking, photobrowsing and such are INCREDIBLE and FREE. Make sure you try the 3D gallery feature based on CoolIris. Just google the terms for more info.

Here's some info and vids.

For more info and a longer video go here

Google I/O video: Android 2.2 Froyo demo | Android Central

(Offline)   Reply With Quote