View Single Post
Old 09-07-2013, 08:36 AM   #97 (permalink)
Dean from Australia
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorjo View Post
My mother was an alcoholic. I say 'was' because she died just shy of three weeks ago. And the hardest thing for me, in the days leading up to her funeral, was admitting to myself that her bitter, angry and mean drunk persona had so tainted our relationship that I was unable, in good conscience, to stand up at her funeral and give a eulogy. Deeply saddened as I was by her death, I simply couldn't speak about what a great mother she was.

I don't care how fucking hard you say it is. You're choosing between drinking yourself into a state of arseholery and the love and respect of your family. Every time you even consider drinking a cool, refreshing glass of beer on a sunny afternoon you need to remember the look on your son's face when you asked if you scared him and the pain in your serioso's eyes when she recounted everything you did and every vile word you spoke to her. Then tell me it's hard.
I've printed this off and have it in my wallet.

Had a long talk with my Dad tonight (we just arrived in my hometown) & laid the whole sorry situation out. We're still talking about it as I write this. He's just gone to take a piss.

The stars are clear tonight.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote