Keith and The Girl Forums

Keith and The Girl Forums (http://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/index.php)
-   KATGtv (http://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   29: Keith Malley (http://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14382)

Keith 12-10-2009 08:35 PM

29: Keith Malley

Keith performs stand-up in NYC

picard102 12-10-2009 09:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Funny stuff. Even more so since I saw this on my wall today.

icouldnotpic 12-10-2009 09:29 PM

black friday jokes were amazing

Tararaboom 12-10-2009 09:39 PM

Awesome show Keith. I hope that if I ever get a chance to get to New York I can see your April 15th show. I particularly love your bits about Social Networking sites. Brilliant!

canadiangirl 12-10-2009 09:50 PM

Sorry Keith I know you prepared for this one but
THE BEST part that had me laughing out loud (yes, a literal LOL) was when Keith yells at the microphone stand not to embarrass him... priceless

wookietv 12-10-2009 10:26 PM

wow you can really hear my voice cracking while folding under the immense pressure of such questions as "are you on twitter?"

stryfe 12-10-2009 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canadiangirl (Post 625592)
Sorry Keith I know you prepared for this one but
THE BEST part that had me laughing out loud (yes, a literal LOL) was when Keith yells at the microphone stand not to embarrass him... priceless

Thissssss!

Subsonix 12-10-2009 10:48 PM

You fucking nailed it Keith.

labelmore 12-10-2009 10:58 PM

So Awesome!!!

As soon as iTunes started downloading the latest KATGtv, I knew I was staying up to watch it. Hilarious! Keith, you were so great. Don't mean to get all academic, but you are brilliant in the way you tie your jokes together. They seem totally unrelated, and then you make it all make sense at the end.

The "Les Mis" impression was awesome, but I have to agree..."Don't you embarrass me!" was incredible.

And the last part at the end to Chemda was the sweetest. Like when Jay-Z says "BK is from Texas" in "Empire State of Mind."

Fucking brilliant! Such a great way to get us jazzed for April 15th.

spooky 12-11-2009 01:43 AM

On comedy(For Keith): I don't know enough about comedy to offer any critique, but you made me laugh. Thanks!

On editing(For McNally): I'm on the fence about some of the camera angle/movement choices. It was especially good about 12 minutes in, but there were a couple points before that I found questionable. Is there a set of rules you adhere to when picking your angles, or do you sort of shoot from the hip/go with your gut? I'm not sure about the quality of the source, but had you considered a digital zoom/pan and scan?

On clothing(For Chemda)I liked seeing the overhead angles, but if we have those in the future, maybe it's time we get some grown up shoes(bless his heart)? In that dark environment, I guess I am like some dumb bug, seeing big glowing white feet, it's all I could look at in those shots.

serial_x 12-11-2009 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spooky (Post 625633)
On editing(For McNally): I'm on the fence about some of the camera angle/movement choices.

I find it odd that you offer critique, especially in a field which you don't dabble in, when it's been proved in the passed that you get so cut when you're told that your faces are a little off.

-----

Probably the best non-100 for 30 KATGtv episode to date IMHO. That shit with the mic stand was hilarious.

spooky 12-11-2009 02:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by serial_x (Post 625637)
I find it odd that you offer critique, especially in a field which you don't dabble in, when it's been proved in the passed that you get so cut when you're told that your faces are a little off.

-----

Probably the best non-100 for 30 KATGtv episode to date IMHO. That shit with the mic stand was hilarious.

Do you get off on going after me for some reason? It's all you do in terms of interaction with me, why is that? Don't you find it childish and a little bit...well, dorky?

Also, yeah, my degree covers that shit, keep your ignorance to yourself.

Lastly, if you can't comprehend what you read, maybe you should think about a bit less commentary? I am not going to repeat myself again on what a critique is.

Junkenstein 12-11-2009 03:03 AM

Props to McNally for his pro editing. I dont know about technical details. I find his sense of pacing wonderful. He gives comedy and images a rhythm that maes the humour hit the spot much easier. He's a pro.

Thanks to Chemda for letting this all be with her existence. If she wasnt there all this wouldnt be there. And i know that you were the powerhouse that pushed little Keith to perform in front of a more diverse crowd. So we get his magic once more.

And Keith. Oh, Keith. How can i tell you. You're good, you're a top comedian. One of the greatest. I'm not saying this because i'm a KATGer or because i simply like you. I'm saying this because you're stand up has been consistently funny, and this shorter set, coupled with "Culture Shock" show how much you matured. You've always been incrddibly funny, edgy and intelligent. Now you're in my top 3 favourite comedians. Even physically, visually, your act is practically perfect. And you could handle a crowd. You're a nice guy and a sensitive fella but you have the energy to stomp a crowd of non-katg fans. Look at the interaction you put on display here. The speed and constant quality of the bits.

I love the show, but i discovered it because i was first a fan of your stand-up and i think that i was right. Sir, you're one of the funniest people on the planet. Please, keep existing. (and Chemda, you keep existing too)

ADD: For Christ's Sakes, the mic-stand bit is something that most of more seasoned comedians COULD NOT pull off. You just have it in you Malley.

thepetek 12-11-2009 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by serial_x (Post 625637)

-----

I think Spooky was polite, curious about humans, offering suggestions to improve the product and did nothing wrong.

Could he have PST'd McNally? Sure. Is it more interesting to see this play out on the forums? Yes. Is he trying to teach the humans? Maybe. Maybe.

I think a conversation about the video editing process between McNally and Spooky would be interesting.

I feel like I have to end this by pointing out that I'm not being sarcastic here.

serial_x 12-11-2009 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thepetek (Post 625642)
I think Spooky was polite, curious about humans, offering suggestions to improve the product and did nothing wrong.

He isn't an editor, McNally is, and when he has a history of taking offense to anyone critiquing his drawings, i don't think he's then allowed to offer suggestions on how to make things others excel at better.

But to show i'm indifferent to Spooky and his entire post...

/shrug

Badger 12-11-2009 04:51 AM

Awesome KATGtv. Loved all the twitter / facebook stuff... "You don't know what I know. I know Twitter shit!" hah! :D

Quote:

On clothing(For Chemda)I liked seeing the overhead angles, but if we have those in the future, maybe it's time we get some grown up shoes(bless his heart)? In that dark environment, I guess I am like some dumb bug, seeing big glowing white feet, it's all I could look at in those shots.

They were quite mesmorising.

thepetek 12-11-2009 04:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by serial_x (Post 625645)
He isn't an editor, McNally is, and when he has a history of taking offense to anyone critiquing his drawings, i don't think he's then allowed to offer suggestions on how to make things others excel at better.

But to show i'm indifferent to Spooky and his entire post...

/shrug

Hmm. Maybe the only way he will take the critiques of others seriously is by seeing the honest critiques he makes being taken seriously? "If McNally was wrong, maybe I was?"

Spooky was polite, curious and asked questions. I feel as if good behavior should be encouraged.

Ah geez, I've really gotta be on Spooky's side? Fine.

Why is McNally an editor? Who says he excels at it? Has he even been paid to edit?

McNally gets a lot of props for editing, and could, perhaps, do it professionally. But then he would have to have a real job... Eeeeh.

McNally should get a job as an editor. He may have to suck Lorne Michaels' dick, but what Canadian hasn't? He could be another David Wharnsby but do you really think he can pull down Sarah Polley type action? No. So he has to be all Terry Pickford, and be inovative.. Spooky's just trying to help. Probably because he knows McNally can't impress Lorne, if you get my drift.

Ya jerk off.

serial_x 12-11-2009 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thepetek (Post 625650)
Ya jerk off.

Ok, Spooky should've edited this because all the shots would've been so much better.. quit jerkin' Spooky and treat yourself to a jerk you cocksuckin' jerkoff ;)

Junkenstein 12-11-2009 05:57 AM

Guys could we leave this thread for the praise for keith and the people who worked on the video?

And yeah, i'd say criticism is allowed. Let's fight somewhere else. C'mon...

We look like douches this way. Not picking on you serial, just talking in general. You know i hetrosexually love ya.

I'll get back on track: "BAM! Stop Embarassing me!". I laugh like a retarded manatee every time i see it. And i watched it alrerady three times.

Pattino 12-11-2009 06:39 AM

Great work Keith and all others involved! Went home early from work cuz I was hella sick, but Mr. Malley turned a horrible night into a great one!

serial_x 12-11-2009 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Junkenstein (Post 625659)
Guys could we leave this thread for the praise for keith and the people who worked on the video?

And yeah, i'd say criticism is allowed. Let's fight somewhere else. C'mon...

We look like douches this way. Not picking on you serial, just talking in general. You know i hetrosexually love ya.

It's done dude.. that's why i ended it with a jerkoff reference and a winky face.

I stand by my earlier comment that this is easily the best KATGtv to date.

Zscout 12-11-2009 07:01 AM

It was an OK performance. A lot of his rehashed podcast bits. When the mike falling is the funniest part, it says a lot to the whole act. I would go see Keith if he was at a local comedy club.

Rufio 12-11-2009 08:03 AM

Quote:

On editing(For McNally): I'm on the fence about some of the camera angle/movement choices. It was especially good about 12 minutes in, but there were a couple points before that I found questionable. Is there a set of rules you adhere to when picking your angles, or do you sort of shoot from the hip/go with your gut? I'm not sure about the quality of the source, but had you considered a digital zoom/pan and scan?

McNally wasnt even there, he had to edit it with the footage that was given to him, so considering that its not really up to him how a shot pans out

serial_x 12-11-2009 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zscout (Post 625666)
It was an OK performance. A lot of his rehashed podcast bits. When the mike falling is the funniest part, it says a lot to the whole act. I would go see Keith if he was at a local comedy club.

Jesse? Is that you?

Junkenstein 12-11-2009 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rufio (Post 625670)
McNally wasnt even there, he had to edit it with the footage that was given to him, so considering that its not really up to him how a shot pans out

Who filmed it? It wasnt MattB, it was someone of the Sacapuntas Crew. It doesnt have the pro-look of Matt's shootings.

stryfe 12-11-2009 09:14 AM

The shoes did stick out like a sore thumb. That said they probably grown up shoes because my dad looks like that all the time (white sneakers, jeans and a tshit).

wookietv 12-11-2009 09:26 AM

for the filming, it wasn't an all out pro job with grips and catering trucks for the crew... it was newsy and i just basically hitting record on small cameras and walking away from them. i'm not sure who did the camera from the sound booth (the far shot from above)

Junkenstein 12-11-2009 09:46 AM

Thje shots from above were cool for me. they reminded me of the classic stand up shot that Hicks used in the Relentless special..

HumbleNarrator 12-11-2009 10:20 AM

am I the only one who felt lied to when Keith repeated the "herpies 4 pills a day" joke? That was on Coming of Age.

Hearing Keith repeating material is like finding out that Jesus Claus hates the meek.

Other than that, it was fantastical! I was laughing my ass off.

Keith 12-11-2009 10:44 AM

I'll tell you what: If you find the herpies joke on not just Coming of Age, but on ANY of my CDs or DVDs, I'll refund your money for any CDs you own, and you can still keep the CDs.

If you look for the joke and can't find it, then you need to apologize to everyone for being a fuckin' liar.

Is that fair?

How dare you.

Junkenstein 12-11-2009 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith (Post 625702)
How dare you.

All that praise and he focus on the one little itsy bitsy negative.

How comedian of you, man.

(You did not repeat any joke BTW, i know your stuff. So you deserve an apology)

Keith 12-11-2009 10:56 AM

This mother fucker was trying to ruin my career and take food from my kids' mouths!

Junkenstein 12-11-2009 11:10 AM

Humble Narrator is a plant by Jesse.

Quitting smoking, geting married and being a far inferior comic than you are are eating his brain and he wants to destroy you with false accusations.

Admit it Humble. He paid you.

HumbleNarrator 12-11-2009 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Junkenstein (Post 625709)
Humble Narrator is a plant by Jesse.

Quitting smoking, geting married and being a far inferior comic than you are are eating his brain and he wants to destroy you with false accusations.

Admit it Humble. He paid you.

I'm sorry, I'm too busy looking through show notes for the 4-pills joke to answer to your horseshit. (that's a Jesse reference, not an insult)

My brain is like a half-broke, Chinese knock-off model of Jeremy's. Just enough of a memory to get myself into trouble.

I don't suppose Jeremy will throw me a line. If it wasn't coming of age like I have burned into my brain, it was an episode with Adam Brown from about two years ago.

And fuck me. One smack-down from Keith and I'm rebuying Coming of Age to cover my ass. Fuck your kids. Their food is delicious.

And who was that chick with the distinctive cackle in Coming of Age??

Keith 12-11-2009 11:36 AM

Was this an apology?

HumbleNarrator 12-11-2009 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith (Post 625712)
Was this an apology?

an apology that includes "fuck your kids?"

or one that has me now being the embarrased owner of both a DVD copy of Coming of Age (in storage back in my old city) and a digital copy of the audio for $9 on Amazon (you're welcome).

or better yet, one that ends with me once again only getting your attention for being an asshole (goddamn it. I'm really not a douchebag).

no. I'm not apologizing until I can include the timing of the first time I heard you tell it.

Here's to always getting myself on your bad side. cheers. and fuck me.

Junkenstein 12-11-2009 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HumbleNarrator (Post 625711)
And who was that chick with the distinctive cackle in Coming of Age??

I always thought it was either Chemda or Patrice.

The joke wasnt repeated he probably had similar themes but he never repeated a joke in his standup (i have a shitty memory for everything but i listen to stand up repeatedly and remember jokes. old jeremy could do the trick, but modern jeremy is busy making spreadsheets and gamble the paychecks).

But let's end this conversation. He's a comedian. He'll stay awake all night trying to remember if he actually said anything twice (and i'm sure he didnt, cause he never ever does)

McNally 12-11-2009 01:20 PM

Kevin Smith mentioned awhile ago about how the 70 thousand people on his official forums would constantly argue and be pricks, and how it made him hate the internet. But on twitter he has 1.5 million followers who only say nice things, and it made him love the internet. I thought that was really interesting and weird. For some reason, forums are a breeding ground for confict.

Anyway, here's a quick rundown of how I edit standup. I thought it would be easier than freeform editing, but it's actually much harder. There's not a lot of room for creativity. Instead it's almost constant problem solving.

First, there's the removal of unusable footage. Sometimes the digital video glitches out, with the footage exploding into messed up pixels for a few seconds. The auto focus also occasionally focuses on the wrong thing, making everything blur. So all that gets tossed immediately.

The second round is to try not to use shots where someone is walking in front of the camera, the camera is moving, or Keith's head is cut off. I also try not to use shots of the back of Keith's head, obviously.

Round three is to try to edit in the way Keith & Chemda prefer for standup: Mainly trying to keep Keith's arms visible when he gestures, and doing camera angle changes during back and forth conversations when possible.

All of that leaves things pretty straightjacketed -- not a lot of wiggle room for creative thinking. This standup was actually easier to edit than the pro dvd recordings, because the cameras were static. Those camera guys at the yearly shoot are all over the place sometimes. They get a little too fancy for an editor's good.

Generally I just go with my gut on editing, and when I watch back I let my reptile brain decide if something feels weird. I remember I tried to edit Sue Everybody with the sound off, just going by Keith's gestures. It was a disaster, it felt like an alien edited it, so I started over.

So, 3 camera shoots are a weird thing to edit. I definitely prefer putting together hot dog challenges and stuff like that. Way more room to experiment. With standup there's no way to do some kind of brilliant, clever edit. You just gotta try not to get in the way of the standup itself. With the Chili Off, you might be able to notice that I did something cool. With standup, you're probably only gonna notice if I do something that feels off. Way less fun.

I thought the camera setup worked really well, especially considering the small space of the Bowery Poetry Club. It was also pretty sweet not to have to set that stuff up myself, it was just done, like magic! I think it was Newsy, Corey Wookietv, and one of the Mikes upstairs? Several guys named Mike in NY, so I'm not sure which one. But fine job all around!

Junkenstein 12-11-2009 01:27 PM

Not to underrate your points Mr McNally, but Kevin Smith is an attention addict, but is the worst at handling criticism. He's a funny fella but i saw a recent Q&A he did in a bookstore and he tends to turn on anyone who even doubts his opinions. He's a very unbalanced man.

McNally 12-11-2009 01:34 PM

No doubt, but I feel a kinship, 'cause I ain't so different. Being KATG famous taught me that if I ever became big time famous, I would become a coked out surreal life weirdo in a matter of years. I don't like when people say mean things, and I can't even be bothered to pretend otherwise.

Now, if I could just take care of my habit of saying mean things to others... that's the hard one.