Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Spiritual Healing
is real 25 28.41%
is mumbo jumbo 63 71.59%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree30Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2013, 01:45 PM   #21 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumbnail View Post
it's one of those beliefs that doesn't bug me because it doesn't impose a God or a philosophy, it's all good, all positive, no problem. And I see nothing wrong with that, you know?
Sorry, but it is me being my skeptic self again, and I have to comment.
I have very little problem with what Jeffrey was talking about, as long as it is used in addition to regular treatment. I do not believe it works at all, except for maybe a persons happiness due to sympathy, attention, and personal contact (something that I will also agree that lacks in our US healthcare). Studies have shown that a positive outlook can help to a degree, but it helps just as much as a placebo.
Stuff like healing hands or faith healing can have a drastically negative results even if it does not seem like it on the front. Many people are hospitalized and/or die due to giving up on regular treatment in hopes that a untested and unproven treatment will be a magical cure. The person doing the treatment might be a con artist or they might believe deep down that they are doing the right thing, but people that have given up all hope and who are at their most vulnerable to often get take in by unrealistic promises.
Even with a death from faith healing, they are often not blamed for the death due to the person "not having enough faith" to survive, or the failing of the doctors to not instantly curing an illness in the first place even if treatment was having a positive outcome or not. "Healers" take full credit for survival, but rarely blame themselves for what goes wrong, mostly giving themselves a unrealistic 100% success rate. It only has been recently that healers and guardians have been facing prosecution because the deaths of multiple children every year because of the denial or persuasion to refuse tested treatments.
With all that being said, there are a lot smarter people out there, who write a lot better than I do, and know more about this topic than I do as well.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:50 PM   #22 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 26
The only redeeming factor to this episode was Keith making jabs at this dumb hippie.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:15 PM   #23 (permalink)
Senior Member
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer
 
Enunciated Piffle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Montana
Posts: 4,080
When Jeffrey claimed that he helped someone before surgery; I feel that he may have in a placebo/ convince the patient it's going to be ok way.

Chemda obviously is an incredibly empathetic person. This does not mean she can heal the sick. It simply means in terms of being a good person: she's the best kind there is.

Perhaps the WANT to heal comes from a place of experiencing such overwhelming pain as an empathic person that you convince yourself there is a reason that you feel what others do not.

Personally, I feel that Jeffrey and any other empathetic person is an end result of evolution. Human beings are essentially apex predators that kill needlessly. Perhaps if we had more Jeffreys and Chemdas around our species wouldn't be in chaos.

We'd certainly have more giant pink pens
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:47 PM   #24 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: St. Augustine, FL
Posts: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJMArtwork View Post
Many people are hospitalized and/or die due to giving up on regular treatment in hopes that a untested and unproven treatment will be a magical cure.
I don't think I ever heard him refer to his practice as an alternative to medical treatment. He never made any direct reference to "healing hands" being primary treatment for anything in the sense that you're conveying. Correct me if I'm wrong, but he seems to regard his procedures as therapeutic within the spiritual and emotional realm, rather than the physical realm. Even on his website, he never claims to be able to cure physical ailments. Yes, he deals with physical pain, but a masseuse does the same thing. There's a difference between dealing with pain and trying to cure cancer.
Scumhook likes this.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:02 PM   #25 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Dukes View Post
I don't think I ever heard him refer to his practice as an alternative to medical treatment. He never made any direct reference to "healing hands" being primary treatment for anything in the sense that you're conveying. Correct me if I'm wrong, but he seems to regard his procedures as therapeutic within the spiritual and emotional realm, rather than the physical realm. Even on his website, he never claims to be able to cure physical ailments. Yes, he deals with physical pain, but a masseuse does the same thing. There's a difference between dealing with pain and trying to cure cancer.
I am sorry if I gave the impression that Jeffrey stated that. My little rant was more to reflect a previous comment that said there was nothing no harm in these practices.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:38 PM   #26 (permalink)
Senior Member
38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer
 
Thumbnail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Portugal
Posts: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJMArtwork View Post
I am sorry if I gave the impression that Jeffrey stated that. My little rant was more to reflect a previous comment that said there was nothing no harm in these practices.
We're not on a different page here. I'm just saying that empathy and the power of "I understand you" may very well influence nervous people (like those going in for surgery) or help stressed out people to breathe and relax. But of course I'm 100% behind scientific facts and medicine. And that's why I'm so conflicted in my agnosticism vs. healers. You made a very good point about con artists but I'm more used to dealing with people like Jeffrey, very loving. So, as you say, if alternative practices can be used in addition to medical treatment I don't see much harm.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:59 PM   #27 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: St. Augustine, FL
Posts: 457
That's what I'm saying. There's no need to feel conflicted, because, as far as being therapeutic, the shit works. It's the same reason you might hug someone who's crying or you'd high-five a teammate after hitting a shot. Gurian just has a far-out way of emphasizing a basic human capacity. It's not a question of if alternative practices can be used in addition to medical treatment. They totally can, and they totally help. They're not even "alternative" until you give them crazy names like chakra. Again, I'll use the example of a massage. Chemda probably gives Lauren all kinds of massage lovin', but only until meeting Gurian did she get any real notion of chakra and all that. I just remembered Chemda mentioning how Lauren instinctively knew that sweet spot on her chest and how it relaxes her. No matter how you call it, that's normal shit.

Also, Thumbnail, you mentioned wanting to nominate him for a KATGuh. There's a place for that, and it ain't here http://www.keithandthegirl.com/forum...nations-17526/
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:08 PM   #28 (permalink)
Senior Member
38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer
 
Thumbnail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Portugal
Posts: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Dukes View Post
That's what I'm saying. There's no need to feel conflicted, because, as far as being therapeutic, the shit works. It's the same reason you might hug someone who's crying or you'd high-five a teammate after hitting a shot. Gurian just has a far-out way of emphasizing a basic human capacity. It's not a question of if alternative practices can be used in addition to medical treatment. They totally can, and they totally help. They're not even "alternative" until you give them crazy names like chakra. Again, I'll use the example of a massage. Chemda probably gives Lauren all kinds of massage lovin', but only until meeting Gurian did she get any real notion of chakra and all that. I just remembered Chemda mentioning how Lauren instinctively knew that sweet spot on her chest and how it relaxes her. No matter how you call it, that's normal shit.

Also, Thumbnail, you mentioned wanting to nominate him for a KATGuh. There's a place for that, and it ain't here http://www.keithandthegirl.com/forum...nations-17526/
I like the way you put it.

Also thanks, I never nominated anyone. :*
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:32 PM   #29 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Scumhook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Uranus
Posts: 19,798
I am going to sign up on line to become a faith healer.

Mainly so I can rip open the heart chakra of any arsehole that cuts in line...

That bit was fucking hilarious.
WSEIII and Enunciated Piffle like this.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:40 PM   #30 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Sparrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Georgia
Posts: 5,396
I know a good many people who practice Reiki. My great-grandmother could pull fire out of a burn with her hands. Thing is, we all vibrate on a frequency. Our living bodies have an electro-magnetic field. It's not out of the realm of possibility that some people's energy frequency helps others peoples calibrate. Chemda's a mystic woman. She's plugged in to folks. And, ya know, sometimes dreams are talking to you.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:39 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
Keith and The GirlAd Management plugin by RedTyger