Keith and The Girl Forums

Keith and The Girl Forums (http://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/index.php)
-   Show Talk (http://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   2699: Landmark (http://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20660)

Michael's Servant 08-22-2017 08:00 PM

2699: Landmark
 
with Reena Calm The total solar eclipse; The Landmark Forum explained in detail and self-help discussed

Guest:
Reena Calm
http://static-2.keithandthegirl.net/...NA-100x100.jpg


Share this episode: Twitter, Facebook & email

Get the show: on iTunes, on Stitcher and RSS feed

snowflake 08-23-2017 06:03 AM

landmark: imagine, the people next to you hate you

me: sure

landmark: imagine everyone in the room hates you

me: ok

landmark: ok, now everyone hates you, in the city!

me: yup....

these guys would have to try harder with me, i believe this already. why isn't this episode called "keith joins a cult"? also fuck tony robbins. I have one rule i've learned from abusive relationships; NEVER TRUST SOMEONE WHO DOESN'T RESPECT YOUR "NO."

snowflake 08-23-2017 06:04 AM

Also, errantly befriended edipus reks, a banned forum member. when i called him on his bullying of me his supposed friend, he called me a nazi. lolz. maybe HE needs landmark...

Sparrow 08-23-2017 06:39 AM

so, i am the kind of person to soundtrack my entire life. during our little eclipse party at the Family Bear's Castle there was perfectly timed Dark Side of the Moon happening. just before that, i talked Sarge into performing a blood ritual with me to Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun. we slit our palms and anointed a creepy statue and the rim of each others blueberry wine communion cups for blood communion. under crescent sun shadows. it was fucking cool. we have fun.


Sparrow 08-23-2017 07:12 AM

ritual is important. and, yeah, i did transubstantiate my body into gummy bears.

http://i.imgur.com/QQaJME7.jpg

Sorin Markov 08-23-2017 07:58 AM

There was a high fructose corn syrup commercial a while ago that went something like:

High fructose corn syrup is good for you because it comes from corn and corn is a vegetable.

Archimedes_Screw 08-23-2017 08:32 AM

I will pay so much money for the Malley Method for Masterful Living seminar!

flerchin 08-23-2017 09:05 AM

150 people x $750 = $112,500. Not bad for renting out a conference room for 3 days. I'd have a hard time being open minded knowing that Landmark was involved in the studio.

How can they conscionably encourage people to call and vent to their loved ones at midnight? Those calls can hardly ever go well, and I bet they work to separate people from their loved ones, adhering them closer to Landmark.

If you're in a group that's actively having discussions about how they're not a cult... Well, that's not a good sign.

flerchin 08-23-2017 09:09 AM

It was an exceptionally funny episode. I was listening this morning in bed, and my wife kicked me out because my laughing was disturbing her.

Keith 08-23-2017 12:18 PM

They own the building. Show Pictures are up, people! Wake up! Stay with me!

Who has the app?! Yes no maybe? HELLO!

Now, your wife kicked you out. That happened. But out of disturbance? Is that your story?

memecherry 08-23-2017 12:27 PM

The roping in of loved ones & up sell makes it seem like Scientology...

flerchin 08-23-2017 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith (Post 862901)
Now, your wife kicked you out. That happened. But out of disturbance? Is that your story?

What?

She's Deaf. I was laughing so hard I shook the bed. She said, "Stop wiggling." There's no discussing it with her in the dark, so I started my day a bit early while finishing the episode.

Keith 08-23-2017 03:23 PM

So stop wiggling is what she said. Is she hates when you have fun MY story?

A lot to take in.

flerchin 08-23-2017 03:57 PM

What?

I can't keep up with the Landmark language.

memecherry 08-23-2017 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith (Post 862904)
So stop wiggling is what she said. Is she hates when you have fun MY story?

A lot to take in.

Speoutside your story is the true meaning of my story...
covfefe...
the iraq's and such...

thirteen 08-23-2017 04:10 PM

Seems like Cat is into these motivational speakers, conferences, gatherings, pyramid schemes, etc. I wouldn't be able to deal with that stuff for very long, especially if it's being pushed onto me in a relationship. Not saying it happened. Just saying it'd be too much for me, personally.

Great guest! Meshed so well with Keith and Chemda.

jcro21 08-23-2017 06:16 PM

Yikes, the whole experience sounds sleazier than I had imagined. I love that they address the "Landmark is a cult" idea by playing a fun roleplaying game about how we are SO not a cult. That aspect of it would make it really hard for me to trust the program.

On the other hand, Keith does sound changed. Maybe it really works.

memecherry 08-23-2017 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcro21 (Post 862916)
Yikes, the whole experience sounds sleazier than I had imagined. I love that they address the "Landmark is a cult" idea by playing a fun roleplaying game about how we are SO not a cult. That aspect of it would make it really hard for me to trust the program.

On the other hand, Keith does sound changed. Maybe it really works.

I think Keith making changes says more about Keith vs the program...

Thankfully he isn't super gullible!

IMO he seems more open to self-reflection, which in turn can lead to personal growth.

Sakugenken 08-24-2017 02:19 AM

When I was living in NYC my co-worker (I was a salesman in a small 2 man shop) took one of these, also called the Forum. The things he learned weren't bad but just common sense renamed with "special" words. He talked me into a "free" lecture. Afterwards the lights went up and the person next to me did a hard sell for taking the course. I kind of enjoy debate so eventually the person would give up and immediately another person would start their pitch. Exhausting!

shoebootie 08-24-2017 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thirteen (Post 862909)
Seems like Cat is into these motivational speakers, conferences, gatherings, pyramid schemes, etc. I wouldn't be able to deal with that stuff for very long, especially if it's being pushed onto me in a relationship. Not saying it happened. Just saying it'd be too much for me, personally.

Great guest! Meshed so well with Keith and Chemda.

I had thought the same thing re: Cat and these motivational speakers/pyramid scheme type retreats. The WTF look on my face that she went to Landmark, had her experience there and then sold Keith on going to this thing too?? What exactly was the desired outcome supposed to be for this?

Lanfear 08-24-2017 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shoebootie (Post 862934)
I had thought the same thing re: Cat and these motivational speakers/pyramid scheme type retreats. The WTF look on my face that she went to Landmark, had her experience there and then sold Keith on going to this thing too?? What exactly was the desired outcome supposed to be for this?

Making sure everybody is on board for the studio renovation?

I am wary off all these motivational speakers/cults but you have to admit that they ace the marketing and sales which is what you need to learn as an entrepreneur. So I understand her studying these even if I think they are creepy myself.

astrokahn 08-24-2017 07:45 PM

The first time I ever heard about landmark was in a podcast where people tell horrible stories about their lives. The woman telling the story went to a landmark seminar after she got it as a gift from her sister. She went and was absolutely horrified by her experience. (Women being pushed into calling their rapists etc). She said she finally decided to leave on day three, when they had all been beaten down and humiliated so much and told that if they didn't do whatever it took to support each other (being coachable, having integrity etc) they were useless pieces of shit. She tried to leave and the group not only attempted
To block the exits but they followed her to her car and tried to stop her from driving away, climbing on the car and shit. Whuuuuuthhhaaafuxxkkkkk

When Keet said he was going to this shit I thought nooooo but I was happy they didn't manage to make a dent! If you google landmark a ton of stuff comes up about people having mental problems after bc it fucks so bad w their head.

My acupuncturist mentioned it like five fucking times during my last visit. I'm trying to find a nice "fuck no" so I can get the point across without ruining the friendly relationship we have. She can move chi like a motherfuckahhh

flerchin 08-25-2017 09:59 AM

LOL Landmark is bullshit, but acupuncture.

FingerLakes 08-25-2017 03:45 PM

This place sounds like they're trying to be a competitor to Scientology. But like....in a 2015 way that doesn't do a lot of the leg work and tries to get more money for doing nothing. Scientologists at least wait until they have you hooked in the literature (which costs money) and interested in climbing up the culture's ladder (which costs money) and know all your secrets before asking for MORE money and family.


The thing is, as Chemda points out, they are using some practical psycology and recovery terms and exorcises so you will start thinking about things in a new light. But goddamn. This sounds like an expensive, shaming, unhealthy way to do it. Haven't listened to the follow up eps yet but if you took anything positive at all from this, besides stories for KATG, I recommend looking for a support group. They're free!


Is this the same place The Studio was when it called and said it wanted to...break the lease?

thirteen 08-25-2017 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flerchin (Post 862950)
LOL Landmark is bullshit, but acupuncture.

I see what you're saying, but there is a huge cost difference. And it seems like most people in landmark are very emotionally susceptible.

flerchin 08-25-2017 06:26 PM

They're both a sham using psychology and pseudoscience to rip off the vulnerable and weak minded. Landmark appears to be more expensive, and has the additional cult-y aspect.

The point is that even the acupuncture lady can spot the Landmark scam. Although maybe she wouldn't if she didn't have Keith helping her out.

Lanfear 08-25-2017 06:49 PM

I have a teeny tiny potential believe that acupuncture could work by somehow manipulating nerves running through our body to get a reaction.

But if you try to talk to me about homeopathy and globuli or detox I'm putting you into the wacko category immediately.

flerchin 08-25-2017 06:58 PM

Large studies have shown absolutely no difference between acupuncture and a placebo. It does nothing. It's easily googleable.

Keith 08-25-2017 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lanfear (Post 862960)
I have a teeny tiny potential believe that acupuncture could work by somehow manipulating nerves running through our body to get a reaction.

But if you try to talk to me about homeopathy and globuli or detox I'm putting you into the wacko category immediately.

That's right. Fuck detox. IDIOTS!

astrokahn 08-26-2017 02:59 PM

I'll say it verbatim and letcha know how it works.
As for acupuncture working or not working, I've had a shoulder and neck injury for a decade that makes life a pile of dogshit. Drugs, massage, chiropractic etc never worked but despite not even thinking that WOULD work I did it for free and it did. I don't give a shit if it works because my brain or because nerves or because chi or because magic, it makes my pain stop and that's what I pay for.

astrokahn 08-26-2017 03:02 PM

Lets get together a list of rapists' phone numbers and hand it over to Landmark.

Sparrow 08-26-2017 03:06 PM

letting them know there's a room full of vulnerable people on which to prey?

Sparrow 08-26-2017 03:07 PM

also your acupuncturist is probably sticking you with heroin. or not. i don't know how alternative medicine works.

astrokahn 08-26-2017 03:33 PM

Like I said, brains, chi, heroin, magic...

RichSPK 08-27-2017 09:30 PM

Did Chemda say why she goes to Alanon? I'm curious, but if it's not already public knowledge then let's keep it that way.

The Girl 08-27-2017 10:30 PM

The reason I went is because my life felt unmanageable. I relate to the patterns that people in the rooms were talking about. I was trying something that was recommended to me and it fit.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shoebootie 08-28-2017 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Girl (Post 863002)
The reason I went is because my life felt unmanageable. I relate to the patterns that people in the rooms were talking about. I was trying something that was recommended to me and it fit.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was part of it a thinking "why do I keep attracting people with this negative influence/pattern into my life repeatedly?" Because I understand that. My boyfriend's mom had said to me last year after another ruined friendship with someone "why does this keep happening to me" and I pointed out all the friendships she's mourning that ended, the common denominator was her, and the fact that she kept taking in wounded people under her wing - that was what was in common with all of them, that she took on some sort of caretaking/maternal role in that friendship. It was a huge eye-opener for her.

These meetings could help people, whether dealing with alcoholics or not, it's a form of free therapy and if it's helping you patch things up in your life then good! It's made me consider if I should check it out re: issues with my mother's alcoholism, even though i've cut off contact, it could be helpful regardless.

FingerLakes 09-02-2017 11:50 PM

It took me 14 months to get this bad boy here. (14 months cuz I forgot my anniversary was in July)
Got it on Friday after qualifying for the first time as well.

http://i.imgur.com/JZZHfS9l.jpg

I swear to god if Keith gets a chip for just showing up I'm gonna be soooo fucking pis- Uh. I mean. Supportive. I'm gonna be so fucking supportive. <3

The Girl 09-03-2017 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shoebootie (Post 863028)
Was part of it a thinking "why do I keep attracting people with this negative influence/pattern into my life repeatedly?" Because I understand that. My boyfriend's mom had said to me last year after another ruined friendship with someone "why does this keep happening to me" and I pointed out all the friendships she's mourning that ended, the common denominator was her, and the fact that she kept taking in wounded people under her wing - that was what was in common with all of them, that she took on some sort of caretaking/maternal role in that friendship. It was a huge eye-opener for her.



These meetings could help people, whether dealing with alcoholics or not, it's a form of free therapy and if it's helping you patch things up in your life then good! It's made me consider if I should check it out re: issues with my mother's alcoholism, even though i've cut off contact, it could be helpful regardless.



It made me realize a lot of things. Mostly with patterns in my life.
I always learn something from the rooms.

If you've thought about going, that's a reason to go. If you think someone else should go to (any) meeting, usually you need one too. It's fun like that.

Let us know if you try it. Would love to hear what you thought.

Also, for those trying meetings for the first time, they will suggest to go to 6 different meetings before deciding. That's a great idea. When I first went, one of the first times I spoke I said something like this "so we all just share and no one responds to us?! I don't get it. I want answers". Someone spoke to me after that meeting and recommended other ones that ended up fitting me better.
My point is that in those rooms you can tell the truth. Tell your real thoughts so that you can get the clarity you need. I fact, it's very common to start shares with "I didn't even want to come here today".

Also, I'm so thrilled that our community is embracing life like this. Supporting each other in what a lot of people remain in the dark and ashamed by. Whatever we all went and go through, it helps to be heard and loved. It's needed for survival. Thank you all for being here!

❤️


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FingerLakes 09-03-2017 06:03 PM

yeah I totally had that moment with my first meeting. Nothing felt right and I didn't get why anyone would go to these things.

It was a SLA meeting, not CoDa. I, too, was pissed and confused, when no one responded to these guys desperate stories of hiring hookers multiple times a week and feeling powerless to stop and not liking the program. Like, why even talk about it if no one is going to tell you how to fix yourself right????
Nah.

In the end that meeting wasn't for me at all. I didn't connect to the mission or the other people and they all connected in the battle against sex. It wasn't for months that I would find my current regular meeting and feel heard and understood and know that no one was going to give me answers but that was OK. I was still learning and gaining experiences.

Go US


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:13 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
Keith and The GirlAd Management plugin by RedTyger