Keith and The Girl Forums

Keith and The Girl Forums (http://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/index.php)
-   Show Talk (http://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   3279: Smile, Youíre on Camera (http://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21849)

Keith 06-08-2020 06:43 PM

3279: Smile, Youíre on Camera
 
COVID-19 - Day 100; Noahís son Moses and delicious britot; feelgood race pieces and lying officers; the largest civil rights movement in history; multiple hate crime offender Mark Wahlberg feels black peopleís pain; JK Rowlingís binary fight; the Amy Cooper 911 false accusation bill; Kimberly Jones on burning it all down

Share this episode: Twitter, Facebook & email

Get the show: on iTunes, on Stitcher and RSS feed

bagelwagel 06-08-2020 09:11 PM

I love how Keith is bringing all the facts and rage to the podcast

Keith 06-08-2020 09:22 PM

THE WHITE OFFICER WORKS (AND BUYS SUPPLIES) ON THE BLACK CIVILIANíS HOUSE (AT CONVENIENT HOURS FOR BOTH FAMILIES) FOR 4 YEARS!

- Keithís Amended Justice to Feel Good

porky2468 06-09-2020 05:41 AM

The mayor of Bristol has come out saying that the statue was "an affront" which I've taken as a good thing. Our Prime Minister on the other hand is a xenophobic (and probably racist) clown who says that the people who tore it down should face the full force of the law, because it's democratic to vote on these things. Bristol has been trying to get the statue taken down for ages. If taking it into their own hands is what it takes then good on them.

The statue will at some point be fished out and put in a museum. I just hope that the exhibition is about the BLM movement and how things will have changed. Or to show our shit history, rather than celebrate it.

Apia resurrected 06-09-2020 06:43 AM

Drugs are chemically 100% the same as pharmaceuticals. Chemical agents making changes in your body.
For example cocaine was introduced as a pharmaceutical and is now considered a drug.
The other direction is also possible.
Ketamine is now in a new antidepressant and it was introduced as a drug.

Apia resurrected 06-09-2020 06:50 AM

The difference is, pharmaceuticals can be studied when it comes to its benefits on the body.
You can study side effects or how much of the drug is beneficial.

When a substance is illegal you can't study it and see if there are any benefits to it.
That's the most important difference.

marykae 06-09-2020 10:26 AM

I had a few issues with the law when I was younger and at the tail end of my probation I had a kid. Due to adhd and pregnant/newmom brain I forgot my last probation appointment and also forgot to call.

I left an ihop with bright lights in the parking lot and forgot to turn on my lights.

I was immediately pulled over less than a block away and arrested on a warrant for skipping probation.

The officer that took my infant son and dropped him off with my parents? My old manager from the Ponderosa O worked at when I was 16.

Same skillset indeed.

joslingeneva 06-09-2020 02:37 PM

Keith is giving me real John Brown vibes, I'm here for it.

Keith 06-09-2020 02:50 PM

That is the sweetest thing I've ever heard.

Thank you.

Scorpion 06-09-2020 06:16 PM

tickets
 
I guess it's too late for me to get my Silent Trailers tickets...

Rune 06-10-2020 05:04 AM

Lol @ people who menstruate. I’ll admit I need some getting used to on that one.

Self-identity (in terms of gender) and simple biology is getting confused, whether out of malice or not, to the point people are physically describing biological traits for exclusion, or for plain description. What’s next, the original twats and cocks? Wombhavers, ejaculators, uteruskeepers, ballowners?

On the other other hand, transfolk have it hard, so I get not needing to fight them on a descriptor (woman), but it’s still funny (and absurd) to have to fight to be called a woman now.

Keith 06-10-2020 07:33 AM

Sure. How’d you hold it in these last 2 weeks?

(Somehow J.K. couldn’t)

Eliiiii 06-10-2020 11:58 AM

Don't forget, the thing she responded to said "...women, girls and people who have periods." Then she goes off on how it erases women. But like... Did you read? I thought you were a writer, but you can't read??

Rune 06-10-2020 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith (Post 883813)
Sure. How’d you hold it in these last 2 weeks?

(Somehow J.K. couldn’t)

Considering trans people are dying from being wantonly murdered in the US, conflict over something like this is misplaced. But it’s hard to disagree with her, bc she’s technically right. So long as there’s a conflict of the same word being a placeholder for both gender self-identity vs. its biological definition, there’ll be people who parse that out.

It’s like the phenomenon of people having a problem with word “feminist” in terms of equal rights for women, only this time the word in question has a biological definition too, so it just makes it more fucked. It’s kinda ridiculous to refer to women in the context of hygiene products as “people who menstruate” when you can just call us, idk, women. It isn’t even trans-exclusionary. I mean, if they wanted to get that granular, there were always women who weren't menstruating and no one ever needed that qualifier...until now. I don’t view it as something to get fired up about, but I still get it.

Eliiiii 06-10-2020 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rune (Post 883818)
Itís kinda ridiculous to refer to women in the context of hygiene products as ďpeople who menstruateĒ when you can just call us, idk, women. It isnít even trans-exclusionary. I mean, if they wanted to get that granular, there were always women who weren't menstruating and no one ever needed that qualifier...until now. I donít view it as something to get fired up about, but I still get it.

The exact thing she responded to said "An estimated 1.8 billion girls, women, and gender non-binary persons menstruate..." Truly, could not have been more inclusive. Just saying "women" excludes trans men & enbys. It's not complicated at all!

Jay86 06-11-2020 12:27 AM

I've heard that Kimberly Jones speech twice now and twice it made me well up. Incredible.

Rune 06-11-2020 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eliiiii (Post 883819)
The exact thing she responded to said "An estimated 1.8 billion girls, women, and gender non-binary persons menstruate..." Truly, could not have been more inclusive. Just saying "women" excludes trans men & enbys. It's not complicated at all!

Thx Eli. She was addressing the title, which is objectively a crazy title. Iím curious to know what you think about her opinion piece. Itís super long, so maybe thatís not something youíd want to do. But it really provides a lot of insight. Itís interesting to watch people flaming her.

Lanfear 06-11-2020 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rune (Post 883828)
Thx Eli. She was addressing the title, which is objectively a crazy title. Iím curious to know what you think about her opinion piece. Itís super long, so maybe thatís not something youíd want to do. But it really provides a lot of insight. Itís interesting to watch people flaming her.

First of all - anybody who just reads a title and then freaks out about it needs to learn some basic communication skills which as a writer she should have.

So if you find it so 'interesting' I'd love to hear how exactly you feel about this and comment on her 'arguments'

dankumar89 06-11-2020 12:23 PM

I live in Bristol, UK and was at the protests last Sunday.

Finally that statue has come down, there have been sooo many petitions, debates, etc and this is what it took to tear it down. Edward Colston was responsible for a lot of the buildings and institutions in Bristol, some are being renamed. The school named after him has removed their statue of him and apparently have made sure that the slave trade and Colstons involvement in it is taught in their lessons.

As many people that are happy about it, I've got so many friends who it turns out are so close minded and blinkered they can even see beyond their privilege. Worst of all my own mother, who is a mother to half black half Asian kids is on the Trump side of the fence.

Eliiiii 06-11-2020 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rune (Post 883828)
Thx Eli. She was addressing the title, which is objectively a crazy title. Iím curious to know what you think about her opinion piece. Itís super long, so maybe thatís not something youíd want to do. But it really provides a lot of insight. Itís interesting to watch people flaming her.

Her essay is totally ridiculous. And if you don't know why, I highly recommend watching Contrapoints' YouTube video called "Gender Critical" which will explain why JKRs "reasoning" is just BS.

Rune 06-12-2020 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eliiiii (Post 883848)
Her essay is totally ridiculous. And if you don't know why, I highly recommend watching Contrapoints' YouTube video called "Gender Critical" which will explain why JKRs "reasoning" is just BS.

I’ll look into this later when I’m not half asleep, thanks.

porky2468 06-14-2020 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dankumar89 (Post 883843)
I live in Bristol, UK and was at the protests last Sunday.

Finally that statue has come down, there have been sooo many petitions, debates, etc and this is what it took to tear it down. Edward Colston was responsible for a lot of the buildings and institutions in Bristol, some are being renamed. The school named after him has removed their statue of him and apparently have made sure that the slave trade and Colstons involvement in it is taught in their lessons.

As many people that are happy about it, I've got so many friends who it turns out are so close minded and blinkered they can even see beyond their privilege. Worst of all my own mother, who is a mother to half black half Asian kids is on the Trump side of the fence.

Even though there are people bitching about this particular statue, it's sparked a fire and there are loads of statues in London that are being taken down (hopefully elsewhere in the UK too). I work at Guys & St Thomas Hospital, and at our weekly "covid huddle" it was mentioned that the statue of Thomas Guy (who made his fortune in the slave trade, providing ships I think) in front of Guy's Hospital is being removed. The board so far are refusing to change the name of the hospital (it's one of the most well known in the city) but hopefully they will eventually.

I'm really pleased that schools are being taught about the slave trade, and our involvement in it. My knowledge is shocking (trying to educate myself now), but at school it was made out that the US was the one who took part in slavery and we had nothing to do with it. People need to stop being embarrassed about the past. You can't learn or change anything if you sweep it under the rug.

End rant.

porky2468 06-14-2020 04:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rune (Post 883809)
Lol @ people who menstruate. Iíll admit I need some getting used to on that one.

Self-identity (in terms of gender) and simple biology is getting confused, whether out of malice or not, to the point people are physically describing biological traits for exclusion, or for plain description. Whatís next, the original twats and cocks? Wombhavers, ejaculators, uteruskeepers, ballowners?

On the other other hand, transfolk have it hard, so I get not needing to fight them on a descriptor (woman), but itís still funny (and absurd) to have to fight to be called a woman now.

The thing is, the term "people who menstruate" is only used when it comes to talking about menstruation (or by those with an anti-trans agenda). If you're selling period products, or proposing a bill to do with contraception or something, saying "people who menstruate" covers your audience, and excludes those it doesn't (i.e. young girls, menopausal women, and trans women). If someone is talking about something that effects women as a whole, they'll use the term "women".

Hera 06-14-2020 07:32 AM

Juneteenth
 
Slavery had been abolished 2 years before, but either Texas had not gotten the news, or they deliberately withheld it. So Juneteenth is when Texas slaves were freed.

Lanfear 06-14-2020 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hera (Post 883888)
Slavery had been abolished 2 years before, but either Texas had not gotten the news, or they deliberately withheld it. So Juneteenth is when Texas slaves were freed.

Are you really mansplaining (womansplaining?) when the end of slavery should be celebrated?

Scorpion 06-14-2020 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lanfear (Post 883889)
Are you really mansplaining (womansplaining?) when the end of slavery should be celebrated?

If you joking, I didn't get it. Additionally, I don't understand you point if you're not joking. I don't see how this is mansplaining. This post seems like a very succinct description of what JuneTeenth is perhaps for those who don't and haven't looked it up yet and you seem unnecessarily aggressive about it, Hera never mentioned Lanfear.

Hera 06-14-2020 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lanfear (Post 883889)
Are you really mansplaining (womansplaining?) when the end of slavery should be celebrated?

Simmer down there, pal. I’m pointing out the horrendous origin of Juneteenth — the fact that freedom was withheld from Texan slaves for 2 years. I said noting about when it should be celebrated. Personally tho, i’d be kinda pissed on 6/19.

Lanfear 06-14-2020 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scorpion (Post 883890)
If you joking, I didn't get it. Additionally, I don't understand you point if you're not joking. I don't see how this is mansplaining. This post seems like a very succinct description of what JuneTeenth is perhaps for those who don't and haven't looked it up yet and you seem unnecessarily aggressive about it, Hera never mentioned Lanfear.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hera (Post 883891)
Simmer down there, pal. Iím pointing out the horrendous origin of Juneteenth ó the fact that freedom was withheld from Texan slaves for 2 years. I said noting about when it should be celebrated. Personally tho, iíd be kinda pissed on 6/19.

Sorry if I didn't get your point but I've been seeing waaayyyy too many references to 'why is it a problem to do a rally on this particular day' 'this is a made up holiday' that somebody writing about how most everybody else was free long before didn't give me immediate positive feelings.

Hera 06-14-2020 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lanfear (Post 883892)
Sorry if I didn't get your point but I've been seeing waaayyyy too many references to 'why is it a problem to do a rally on this particular day' 'this is a made up holiday' that somebody writing about how most everybody else was free long before didn't give me immediate positive feelings.

Ah, I understand. It seemed like it was an All Lives Matter thing? Iím a woman, btw. Keith once read one of my comments and also didnt know. My name is of an ancient Greek goddess.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:28 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
Keith and The GirlAd Management plugin by RedTyger