Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Are the fat groups mentioned simply perpetuatiing fat behavior?
Yes; quit acting like your fat problem is really MY problem. 142 92.81%
No; in fact, we are being insensitive to the issues of the fat. 11 7.19%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2009, 08:00 PM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
Wonky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNJ View Post
Sure, but don't ask for acceptance. A lot of people have bad habits as a result of emotional trauma. We don't have to accept that.
What's wrong with accepting fat people the way they are? Someone's weight doesn't seem like a very good reason to reject them.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:09 PM   #12 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Shauny11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Halifax, NS
Posts: 0
I'm not talking about accepting the people or half my family would be shunned. Its accepting the reasons why they are and the fact they do nothing to rectify their situations. You eat cause you have emotional issues then deal with those issues and go on a diet. But don't go blabbin "I'm fat, I'm fat, I'm fat" as you shove a jumbo bag of cheetos in your mouth.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:11 PM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
DaveNJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 1,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonky View Post
What's wrong with accepting fat people the way they are? Someone's weight doesn't seem like a very good reason to reject them.
When your weight is representative of personal failings it is a reason not to accept it. I don't accept sloth and indolence. It's not my thing. I find them to be character flaws. So do many, many people. Sloth and Gluttony, 28.5% of the Seven Deadly Sins.

And that's the other issue: being fat is unhealthy, and in a world of shared resources and shared conditions I don't accept an unnecessary and self-inflicted condition that hurts us all. If you're on Medicare your heart attack hurts me. If you consume more fuel because you weigh down your car that hurts everyone.

People reject others sexually on weight alone all the time, too.

Stop being a fat enabler.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:18 PM   #14 (permalink)
Member
 
Wonky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNJ View Post
When your weight is representative of personal failings it is a reason not to accept it. I don't accept sloth and indolence. It's not my thing. I find them to be character flaws. So do many, many people. Sloth and Gluttony, 28.5% of the Seven Deadly Sins.

And that's the other issue: being fat is unhealthy, and in a world of shared resources and shared conditions I don't accept an unnecessary and self-inflicted condition that hurts us all. If you're on Medicare your heart attack hurts me. If you consume more fuel because you weigh down your car that hurts everyone.

People reject others sexually on weight alone all the time, too.

Stop being a fat enabler.
How am I enabling anything? I'm just curious why people seem to be so angry at fat people when their weight really has no bearing on anyone else's life. That gas shit is weak and smokers present much more of a burden to the public health system than obesity does. It's quite possible to be overweight and perfectly healthy. I'm not a fan of gluttony and sloth either, but that doesn't make all fat people worthless human beings in my eyes. That is all I'm saying.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:32 PM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
DaveNJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 1,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonky View Post
How am I enabling anything? I'm just curious why people seem to be so angry at fat people when their weight really has no bearing on anyone else's life. That gas shit is weak and smokers present much more of a burden to the public health system than obesity does. It's quite possible to be overweight and perfectly healthy. I'm not a fan of gluttony and sloth either, but that doesn't make all fat people worthless human beings in my eyes. That is all I'm saying.
Why is it weak? There are plenty of studies that show that being obese has a major impact on the planet, even moreso than smoking.

Consuming extra calories, especially extra calories from meat, produces a ton of greenhouse gases. 20% more food calories for a majority of a population is a, pardon the pun, huge deal. It's a, pun again, bigger issue than people who drive SUVs when taken into account over a lifetime.

Thinner is better to curb global warming, study says - CNN.com

Every human life has worth, but "fat acceptance" implies accepting fat without judgment.

I don't accept something that:

a. Does have a bearing on my life, both in the form of public health expenditures and environmental depletion.

and

b. Is a voluntary condition of infirmity brought on by gluttony and sloth. Maintaining a healthy body weight requires less caloric input. That, in turn, can on a large scale lower food prices and help everyone.

I have a problem with smokers, too. I think smoking should automatically disqualify you from any public health payments. Why can't I have a problem with both, though?

We live in a tough world. A tough world demands strong values, not simply accepting human weakness and shrugging at it. We all need to cowboy up and deal with our problems, each and every one of us. "Fat acceptance" stands in complete contrast to this by acting like being fat is both irrevocable and natural. It is neither.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:45 PM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
MaxxedMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 223
Okay... we figured out fucking Diet Cola. Lets not send a space shuttle up for a year and figure out zero calorie fucking beer!
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:45 PM   #17 (permalink)
Member
 
Wonky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 35
I very much agree that it's bad for the planet to eat meat (I'm a vegetarian) and I believe that smokers should quit or be helped to quit and if they don't then sure, ban them from public health care. Consuming too much is bad for everyone, but that's been the American Way since WWII so I'm not going to blame it all on overeaters.

(It looked like you were basing your argument on the fact that fat people weigh down cars and thus use more fuel. I wonder how many of us could unload 100 pounds of shit out of the trunks of our cars and use less fuel.)

I guess the only thing that makes my bleeding heart bleed is that fat people get automatically hated on like 100% of the time. It seems like assumptions are instantly made about their lazy, stupid, selfish selves and they have an uphill battle in all types of relationships, which sucks and doesn't seem fair. Go ahead and hate on mindless gluttony, fine, but assumptions and an automatic check in the "worthless" column based on appearances doesn't seem right. For me, it's a fat version of 'don't hate the player, hate the game'.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 09:10 PM   #18 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
DaveNJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 1,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonky View Post
I very much agree that it's bad for the planet to eat meat (I'm a vegetarian) and I believe that smokers should quit or be helped to quit and if they don't then sure, ban them from public health care. Consuming too much is bad for everyone, but that's been the American Way since WWII so I'm not going to blame it all on overeaters.

(It looked like you were basing your argument on the fact that fat people weigh down cars and thus use more fuel. I wonder how many of us could unload 100 pounds of shit out of the trunks of our cars and use less fuel.)

I guess the only thing that makes my bleeding heart bleed is that fat people get automatically hated on like 100% of the time. It seems like assumptions are instantly made about their lazy, stupid, selfish selves and they have an uphill battle in all types of relationships, which sucks and doesn't seem fair. Go ahead and hate on mindless gluttony, fine, but assumptions and an automatic check in the "worthless" column based on appearances doesn't seem right. For me, it's a fat version of 'don't hate the player, hate the game'.
People who drive SUVs get judged on their consumption.

People who wear outrageously expensive clothing and jewelry get judged on their consumption.

People who smoke publicly get judged on their consumption.

People who have any representation of over-consumption that they display publicly (willingly or unwillingly) get judged.

It's that simple. Maintaining extra pounds means extra calories. Which means a lot of extra consumption. 20% more caloric consumption means that you're the human equivalent of an old beat-up Pontiac with a screwed up engine.

It's voluntary. If you voluntarily put yourself into a position that's physically uncomfortable, debilitating in the health department, and that is overly consumptive, guess what? Screw you. Losing weight ain't impossible, and I'm not sorry for people who choose not to lose it.

If you hate on people for towing their fat SUVs around you'd better do the same for the fat asses. It's not different, and acting like it is to preserve the dainty feelings of not-so-dainty people is disingenuous. You're trying to preserve your feelings and the feelings of others in the same way that you would if someone you cared about got a gas-guzzling car.

Being fat is selfish, being fat is stupid, and being fat is in part the result of laziness. Show me a fat person who has made a real, legitimate, concerted effort to not be fat (that they stuck with and that wasn't a completely bullshit plan) and I'll show you someone who's not as fat.

Sometimes our assumptions are true, at least to an extent.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 10:35 PM   #19 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Toastmold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 28
Very nice show. That new guys seemed particularly interesting, and that Fat Dixon is always good.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:07 PM   #20 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
dark_lobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Chile
Posts: 169
About the fat issue:
In my case, I just recently found out that I was not able to lose weight due to having a fucked up thyroid (based on the chat and forums, seems to be more common than I thought). I am not overweight because I overeat or do not exercise. I've eaten relatively healthy my whole life, don't drink nor smoke, and have always done sports (soccer, basketball, softball, martial arts).
I once did a little experiment to see if I could lose weight, so I took it to the extreme; did 9 hours a week of martial arts (taekwondo), 5 hours a week of Dance Dance Revolution on standard (if you've tried it, you know it's a workout) and ate healthy. Did this for 5 months and lost.... no weight (but I did get a green belt in taekwondo and kicked many people's asses at DDR)
So all I am saying is that one shouldn't immediately equate fat to laziness / bad eating habits.
On the other hand, if you're fat because you're a lazy bum and/or eat shit every day…Stop it, get off your lazy ass and do something about it! Put that Twinkie down NOW!
[/rant]

About the Poll:
I voted "Yes; quit acting like your fat problem is really MY problem." People should be responsible for who they are, and not force other to adapt to them.
__________________
Female, 31, straight, usually sober and I care about this post

Last edited by dark_lobo; 04-28-2009 at 11:32 PM.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:37 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
Keith and The GirlAd Management plugin by RedTyger