Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2006, 08:29 PM   #21 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
AlanRay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by klang
You are suffering fom the disease called "too nice" .. it's very common in IT and you have to stop it.

There is no logic to you problem, but there is treatment. STOP being nice!

Installation of the computer is $50 per half an hour (a number that will pay of in either cash or free time). Otherwise you have other deliveries to do and your boss will hit you if you don't make them fast.

I repeat! QUIT being nice! .. a $700 computer does NOT include installation.
No, unfortunately at my company computers do come with installations. "Free In-Home delivery and setup" is one of the main things that set's us apart from our local competitors. I have to be nice to the customers because if I'm not nice then they don't keep coming back to the store, if my boss finds out it's because I wasn't nice then I get fired. It's a vicious circle I'm afraid. As far as the pizza delivery guy getting shit money for his work, I don't get payed much more than a pizza delivery guy and I do a lot more work I would wager. It is always appropriate to tip when someone is providing a service in your home.
__________________
"Cherries Jubilee, and that's it."
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 12:00 AM   #22 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Annie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Arctic Tundra
Posts: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanRay
It is always appropriate to tip when someone is providing a service in your home.
Would you tip a plumber?

Or if it's included in the product you're paying for? You mentioned how the in-home installation is what sets your company apart, so that's part of the "product" the customer just purchased.

I think there's certain jobs where it's known and accepted that they get tipped. For instance, I know a waitress isn't getting paid much and part of her wage, in america, is the tip, etc. But if I had someone come set up a computer in my home, that I just purchased from a computer store instead of online or "off the rack" in a store - I probably wouldn't tip. I would assume that there is the "middle man" cost added for the "bonuses" that a computer place offers. I would be kind and offer you a drink, etc because you are a guest in my home.

Anything beyond the pizza guy, waitress, hairdress, bartender, etc that is commonplace - it's a hard call. Where do you draw the line? Teachers get paid like chumps yet are teaching children how to read, do math, think critically, and are basically day-cares on top of that. Teachers work a full day and then go home and grade papers/make lesson plans. They stay after to help kids with questions, etc. Do you slip a teacher $100 at parent-teacher conferences?
__________________
"Annie is cute like flowers made of candy." ---Keith

Last edited by Annie; 07-20-2006 at 12:03 AM.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 12:32 AM   #23 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
AlanRay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie
Would you tip a plumber?

Or if it's included in the product you're paying for? You mentioned how the in-home installation is what sets your company apart, so that's part of the "product" the customer just purchased.

I think there's certain jobs where it's known and accepted that they get tipped. For instance, I know a waitress isn't getting paid much and part of her wage, in america, is the tip, etc. But if I had someone come set up a computer in my home, that I just purchased from a computer store instead of online or "off the rack" in a store - I probably wouldn't tip. I would assume that there is the "middle man" cost added for the "bonuses" that a computer place offers. I would be kind and offer you a drink, etc because you are a guest in my home.

Anything beyond the pizza guy, waitress, hairdress, bartender, etc that is commonplace - it's a hard call. Where do you draw the line? Teachers get paid like chumps yet are teaching children how to read, do math, think critically, and are basically day-cares on top of that. Teachers work a full day and then go home and grade papers/make lesson plans. They stay after to help kids with questions, etc. Do you slip a teacher $100 at parent-teacher conferences?

lol, I see your point Annie. I certainly would tip a plumber if they did a good job. the delivery is not paid for in any way, it is included free with the purchase of the computer and this is made very clear to the customer.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 12:44 AM   #24 (permalink)
Member
 
the Rook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Canada by way of Teggs-as
Posts: 45
I've had a lot of friends who were servers, and I know the bullshit they have to put up with every second of their shift. I tend to over-tip, even on mediocre service. If I get shitty service, they get NOTHING.

I tip taxidrivers a couple of bucks, but I don't go overboard.

In Las Vegas, tipping is insane. Everybody has to have a hand out. I had to
carry a wad of singles around so I wouldn't look like a cheap bastard. The cool thing about Vegas is that you drink for free when you gamble. But if you don't tip the server a buck per drink, she won't come back. Still, it's a good deal.
__________________
You can't kill a man born to hang.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 12:52 AM   #25 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
The Godfather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 947
Vegas is bad, but NY is just stupid. Everybody wants a handout for doing almost nothing. But, I I do tip well for good service.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 03:13 AM   #26 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
klang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: There is something rotten in the state of Denmark
Posts: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanRay
No, unfortunately at my company computers do come with installations. "Free In-Home delivery and setup" is one of the main things that set's us apart from our local competitors. I have to be nice to the customers because if I'm not nice then they don't keep coming back to the store, if my boss finds out it's because I wasn't nice then I get fired. It's a vicious circle I'm afraid. As far as the pizza delivery guy getting shit money for his work, I don't get payed much more than a pizza delivery guy and I do a lot more work I would wager. It is always appropriate to tip when someone is providing a service in your home.
Oh, man .. you are so screwed.

On the bright side; there is more prestige in setting up computers than delivering pizzas, eventhough the pizza guys are raking it in..

Sorry, but I can understand people not tipping you .. they have just papid seeeven huuundred dooolaaars for a kompuuuter, they need HELP plugging it in. . The customer is clueless, he has just bought his first computer and paid A LOT of money for it (eventhough it is dirt cheap).
The company will be selling Microsoft Office, virus protection sofware, reinstallations, Internet 2.1 and upgrades for years, if you do your job correctly. THAT's why your boss should pay you a bit extra, simply for being nice.
__________________
- Frog King makes everything better.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 03:25 AM   #27 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
AlanRay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by klang
Oh, man .. you are so screwed.

On the bright side; there is more prestige in setting up computers than delivering pizzas, eventhough the pizza guys are raking it in..

Sorry, but I can understand people not tipping you .. they have just papid seeeven huuundred dooolaaars for a kompuuuter, they need HELP plugging it in. . The customer is clueless, he has just bought his first computer and paid A LOT of money for it (eventhough it is dirt cheap).
The company will be selling Microsoft Office, virus protection sofware, reinstallations, Internet 2.1 and upgrades for years, if you do your job correctly. THAT's why your boss should pay you a bit extra, simply for being nice.
Damn right he should pay me extra, but no, I get a measly $8.00 an hour, which granted is about 2.50 over minimum wage, but still. I don't know, at least I'm doing something that I enjoy the majority of the time. I suppose I can understand people not tipping as well, but offer me a fucking drink :P
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 03:54 AM   #28 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Nihility's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Quarantine
Posts: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie
Would you tip a plumber?

Or if it's included in the product you're paying for? You mentioned how the in-home installation is what sets your company apart, so that's part of the "product" the customer just purchased.

I think there's certain jobs where it's known and accepted that they get tipped. For instance, I know a waitress isn't getting paid much and part of her wage, in america, is the tip, etc. But if I had someone come set up a computer in my home, that I just purchased from a computer store instead of online or "off the rack" in a store - I probably wouldn't tip. I would assume that there is the "middle man" cost added for the "bonuses" that a computer place offers. I would be kind and offer you a drink, etc because you are a guest in my home.

Anything beyond the pizza guy, waitress, hairdress, bartender, etc that is commonplace - it's a hard call. Where do you draw the line? Teachers get paid like chumps yet are teaching children how to read, do math, think critically, and are basically day-cares on top of that. Teachers work a full day and then go home and grade papers/make lesson plans. They stay after to help kids with questions, etc. Do you slip a teacher $100 at parent-teacher conferences?
What about doctors? Nurses? Dentists? Mechanics? Cashiers? Brother love?
How about a freelance that gets 100% of the cash into his pocket (but also 100% of the bills).

Every country has its own rules. However, in general, tip for good service.
If people are obviously running for you then they should get a generous tip while people nonchalantly going about their day while you stand there and wait should get nothing but sighing

Here's a question: If you give a service but are offered no tip, people have mentioned you should stop being too nice and ask for one. How about, if you are about to receive a service, you throw in "Do a good job and there will be a little something in it for you (possible winking)". That way they know to expect a tip for a job well done. Does it work both ways? (obviously both would be considered rude, or would they?)
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 04:04 AM   #29 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
klang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: There is something rotten in the state of Denmark
Posts: 481
No child left behind .. for real!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastTexas
That is fascinating, I didn't know any of this about Denmark.
So over there essentially everyone has the exact same opportunities they could take advantage of.
Is threre a noticable seperation of races economically? Over here in general, the poorest are minorities.
I apologize for giving too much information about my neck of the wood.

..and yes, if you have the brains and the will to finish an education, it's there for you to take. The state will support you echonomically (enough for rent and food) for a specified number of years.

Imigrants will have to learn Danish and fend for themselves for 2 years before they can take advantage of the educational system.

If you by minorities refer to other rases than Anglo-Saxon, then yes imigrants and refugees come into the country. Adults with brains blend into the workforce (general as well as Chineese restaurants, Middel Eastern grocery stores, Turkish hairdressers .. the stereotypes that are present everywhere in the world), the rest becomes part of the masses supported by social benefits.
Kids go to school and have equal opportunity form the start.

But, we are very anal about our language .. eventhough most people (including my 61 year old mother) knows at least english ..
if you come here to live, you are expected to learn the language .. perfectly!
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 04:13 AM   #30 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
klang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: There is something rotten in the state of Denmark
Posts: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanRay
Damn right he should pay me extra, but no, I get a measly $8.00 an hour, which granted is about 2.50 over minimum wage, but still. I don't know, at least I'm doing something that I enjoy the majority of the time. I suppose I can understand people not tipping as well, but offer me a fucking drink :P
I have been ranting a bit about taxes and wages in this thread .. honestly, I have no idea how much $8.00 an hour will cover, concerning your daily needs. How much the state will take and what you get for your taxes.

You are right though .. people should offer you a fucking drink! :-)

Would you dare wearing a t-shirt saying .. "give us a fiver" or "hmmmm orange juice" next to a picture of Homer ?
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:37 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
Keith and The GirlAd Management plugin by RedTyger