Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 04-25-2011, 02:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer

Basement dweller working in food services.

I have an unpaid internship that I really want to take in the city. I will be able to work under the wings of my professors and learn a ton; I'm really excited. But, I still need money. The internship is 9-5. I will have to work hours after to make the 5k I need to survive over the summer. The only jobs after that time are in food services. However I'm ugly, awkward and never had a real job in my life. The only work experience I have is through work study, but those aren't real jobs. I really think I should do this so I can grow up and stop leeching off my parents, what can I do to prepare myself to leave my comfort zone?

Male, 19 (20 in a month, I need to grow up badly) Rising junior mechanical engineering major.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 04:11 AM   #2 (permalink)

Honestly that sounds like a plan for burning out pretty quickly. But you could look into factory or line work of some sort. They usually have night shifts. Janitorial services or security work at night as well.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Janitorial / cleaning offices overnight will earn you more money than food services if you are ugly and awkward. Sorry, but it's true. Plus - you have the added bonus that on most of those cleaning jobs you'll be able to enjoy the aural delights of your favorite podcasts and tunes, something you can't do while waiting tables / bar tending.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

I don't get it, you are willing to work in this internship with a bunch of people but a night job scares you?

Explain.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

Cleaning offices at night is a good gig if you can get it, but they usually take you on full time. It sounds like you don't need full time. If you don't need it, don't take it. 2 full time jobs will kill you. Especially if you're trying to learn something and make connections at one of them.

Have you talked to your professors about this? Ask them if they've ever had a student work while in the internship program. They might have some helpful suggestions.

At different times in my life, I've fallen back on tutoring as a source of income. You don't have to be good at something to tutor it, you just need to know all the rules inside and out. Besides, most kids don't really need a tutor, they just need a designated study time, which is what you provide. You can make about $20 an hour. If you have 2-3 students a week, that's $60-80 a week. Since you're living with your parents, that's more than enough to support yourself for the summer.

If all else fails, there's always student loans.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:28 PM   #6 (permalink)

Hey Dude

I'm in my final semester of mechanical engineering and I'd have to say tutoring is one of the most effective means of earning income while studying full time. On top of this it really helps with people skills and communication, which may be right up your alley.
Theres generally a fair amount of demand for tutors to teach spoilt highschool students with rich parents, and internationals wanting to learn english. I would recommend also trying to tutor for your engineering faculty during your semesters as well.

Besides this, John's suggestion of being a cleaner/janitor is also a very good, I know a final year mech student who cleans for 3 hours most evenings to make his way and according to him its not that hard to get into and the pay is decent.

As far as preparing yourself to leave your comfort zone, just own your shit dude, seriously. Maybe got to gym as well if you're not happy with being the things you have written in your signature.

Hope that helps that man, what kinda work does your internship involve?

Last edited by Jo_Culprit; 04-25-2011 at 09:32 PM.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:01 PM   #7 (permalink)

You live with your parents, and need $5,000 over the sumer to 'survive'? ¿Que? Maybe you just need to adjust your lifestyle. I made less than $9,500 all of last year, lived on my own, and traveled all over the country.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:48 PM   #8 (permalink)

Theres no way you're making 5k over a summer by waiting tables part-time.