Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 09-08-2009, 06:15 PM   #131 (permalink)

those are good sized kittens. Keep in mind that they won't be able to drink from a bottle very well once teeth begin to break through. You'll need to teach them to eat once that happens. Mix soft food with formula, put in mouth, hold mouth shut, kitten swallows and develops an insatiable appetite.

I've only had to bottle feed one kitten and that was a lot of work, but she started pretty young. If you have to fatten that many kittens by hand you have your work cut out for you. Ask friends for help.

My kitten took her bottle well until her teeth broke. I had to rub her tummy very gently after feeding to help digestion, but that was mostly when she was really really small. Be sure to put them in the litter after you feed them and don't let them out til they poop. It will teach them what litter is for. My kitten never had to be litter trained after I took that advice. My kitten had trouble learning to eat solid food. It was really really hard and she would mostly spit it out. She got pretty hungry before she caught on, but I taught her with the above described method.

I'm sure that they all are a little different. Yours are probably easier because they had littermates and the mother didn't abandon them immediately after birth. I've never actually heard of a mother abandoning a litter after several weeks. When I found mine she weighed 3oz and the vet I called told me to not even bother, she was too premature and underweight (they should weigh at least 4oz at birth). I tried and she grew into a cat. shrug
Old 09-08-2009, 07:37 PM   #132 (permalink)

Yeah, thanks for the tips, y'all! I've tried the wet-food thing last night after I posted this, and they LOVED it. I guess they're old enough to take tiny bites.. I held their mouths open, stuck some on the tip of my finger, and they sucked/bit it off (the food, not the finger). I think I'm going to try one feeding wet food, then formula, wet food, formula etc.

They all have pretty healthy bowels so far, and the one that's lost the weight has still been really active, so I guess maybe I'm overly worrying. They love running around, and they're a little shaky, but have so much energy!

Again, thanks for the tips, and if you have any more, lemme know! Honestly, I don't know what the fuck I'm doing, I'm just trying to make it work. [=
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 07:51 PM   #133 (permalink)

If they're eating and pooping ok, then you're probably golden. Remember that they need to eat really frequently, about every four hours. Getting up half way through the night to feed them isn't overkill, especially if they have a long no-food period during the day while you're at work/school. If you're gone during the day for more than five hours and you have a friend that can feed them for you do it. Cat formula is super-calorie-dense, so if they can eat it, give them more of that. YOu can make it from human formula but you'll need to mix it triple strength if you do (people baby formula will literally starve a kitten). It's been eight years since I dealt with this stuff, I don't remember how old mine was when it was OK for her to switch to food, but there is nothing wrong with fat kittens. I'd mix the formula with the soft food if you can.

I had to build an incubator for mine, but she was a lot smaller and sicker, and they wouldn't be eating if they were too cold. If you are worried about them not being warm enough, put a heating pad under a corner of the blanket in the basket and they will move to that corner for comfort if they need to. Very small kittens can not regulate their body temp without help, but those guys look pretty big. It wouldn't hurt if you have a heating pad.

The only other thing you may have to help them with is grooming. Be especially sure to keep their eyes clean and wiped. You will probably need to make sure their bottoms are clean too. I used baby wipes on mine, but that was a very-young thing too. If you do use baby wipes, you'll probably need to warm them up a bit or they'll hate it. I bought one of those bably wipe warmers because the microwave dried them out too much.

You may want to inspect them for fleas if they've been outside. If they get infested with fleas they will get anemic and could die from it. You can't use flea poison on kittens that small, but you can give them a warm bath with dish soap and get rid of adult fleas. Don't do the dish soap thing unless there is a flea problem because it causes a big itchy dry skin issue, but it does work.

Just watch them. If they're hungry and clean you are doing everything that you need to do. Count yourself lucky, six kittens with any trouble would be a full time job.

Last edited by jeffdrafttech; 09-08-2009 at 08:20 PM.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:53 PM   #134 (permalink)

It really is. It's frustrating, too, because I have very low patience and a very hot temper..

I've been getting frustrated lately, because some of them won't eat, so I just have to take a few minutes break in between and then try again. They're just babies, and need to be taught to do things.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:36 PM   #135 (permalink)

This is my cat before I was Forced to give him away. His name was Leech

Old 09-09-2009, 12:15 AM   #136 (permalink)

My two cats;

Tom..

P150209_19.37.JPG

and Bot..

WhyYouWakingMe.jpg

enjoy playing..

...and having tender moments together.

P2120_20-07-09.jpg
Old 09-09-2009, 05:24 AM   #137 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by serial_x View Post
My two cats;

Tom..

Attachment 53556

and Bot..

Attachment 53558

enjoy playing..

...and having tender moments together.

Attachment 53557
LOL
Old 09-16-2009, 05:55 PM   #138 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draconis View Post
I've been getting frustrated lately, because some of them won't eat, so I just have to take a few minutes break in between and then try again. They're just babies, and need to be taught to do things.
How's the litter doing?
Old 09-16-2009, 06:31 PM   #139 (permalink)

REALLY good. [= I honestly can't tell if they've doubled weight like they should have, but they have filled out, they're having solid poops, healthy appetites, and up to TONNES of mischief. Theyve taken to sneaking up into my bed, crawling up my bedskirt at night... It's cute, except for the tiny claws..

Also, they keep suckin' on my cat's penis, because (I'm guessing) they think it's a nipple. The little bastard just lets them do it, too.. -_-

All in all, good. One's even taken to pooping in the litter box, all by himself, just from watching my two cats do it. <3

I'll put up pics soon-ish.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:02 PM   #140 (permalink)

I have a new gig where I am required to travel regionally. This month I'm only home on weekends.

I'm curious how other cat owners have handled similar situations.

I bought a cat food dispenser at wally world but it really isn't much beter than pouring a lot of cat food into a bowl. I also bought a water dispenser cat bowl but again, it isn't much different than pouring water into a really big bowl.

I've been gone since Monday morning and won't be home til Friday evening. This is going to be the pattern for the next three weeks and somewhat regular after that.

Is there a better way? Am I a terrible cat owner?