Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 05-03-2011, 02:56 AM   #11 (permalink)

The amount of fun is highly dependent on where you go. I second the getting laid no matter what sentiments that have already been established though.

As far as the soccer goes, each university has a watching group and a playing group. Still is the largest growing sport in the US (participation and views) so there are lots of people wherever you are going that are going to be able talk it up with you. They might not know Celts/Rangers but you know, maybe United/Chelsea.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:40 AM   #12 (permalink)

Thanks for all the comments, really looking forward to the year now!

Without wanting to underestimate the quality of college soccer teams, I may try out for the UNM side. I had a quick look at the athletics site and the facilities look incredible, nothing like in Ireland and England.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:42 AM   #13 (permalink)
2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Collins View Post
Without wanting to underestimate the quality of college soccer teams, I may try out for the UNM side. I had a quick look at the athletics site and the facilities look incredible, nothing like in Ireland and England.
Their facilities will be top notch! Without knowing your abilities, I'd say you'll have a tough time making the team. But maybe you're good enough. Go for it!
Old 05-03-2011, 10:55 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianAlt View Post
Their facilities will be top notch! Without knowing your abilities, I'd say you'll have a tough time making the team. But maybe you're good enough. Go for it!
I play at a fairly decent level in England, but am under no illusions about waltzing into the team.

For one thing the recruitment policy looks very different in America (there are no real sports scholarships back home), and UNM is a Division I school.

Hopefully I'll do okay at tryouts (I'm a right-back, which is fairly unfashionable, so generally will have a little less competition than other positions) and the fact that I'm European may help me stand out a bit. If I don't make the team it's no disaster, as there is a pretty comprehensive local league system in Albuquerque where I could get my fix.

Thanks for the advice!
Old 05-03-2011, 11:50 AM   #15 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Collins View Post
Glad to hear the Irish accent will come in handy, had presumed its popularity was a myth

I'll be in New Mexico so doubt there will be much hockey on show!
What, are you kidding, Hickey is everywhere...that could be the Canadian in me.

Seriously though, you're in America, do what the Americans do, American football, baseball, basketball...soak it up and have FUN
Old 05-03-2011, 11:58 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by campy View Post
Seriously though, you're in America, do what the Americans do, American football, baseball, basketball...soak it up and have FUN

I definitely will!

One of the main attractions of studying in America is the massive stadiums and arenas there is for watching college sports. There is nothing like that in England or Ireland, it will be great to be sat in a stand with thousands of other people cheering on the team. You only get scenes like that in Europe for professional teams. Must be unbelievable to be a teenage basketball or football player playing in front of so many people.