Keith and The Girl Forums

Keith and The Girl Forums (http://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/index.php)
-   Talk Shite (http://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Couch to 5K (http://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11251)

garrym13 09-12-2008 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lanfear (Post 452213)
I am exercising quite a bit lately but not really loosing any weight. I guess that's because I need more cardio. I hate running myself but everybody else seems to be obsessed with it so when I saw this thread I thought maybe I should force myself and just do it.

I did the first session from the "couch to 5K" plan today and it wasn't fun but lets see what I say in two weeks. I do have one question though - what speed do you use for the walking vs jogging or do you not know? I did the session on a treadmill and went 4.5 km/h for the walk and 8 km/h for the jog - is that slow/fast/normal? Sorry but I really have no clue last time I ran was in highschool ...

I am not PT but, I have consulted with a few. 100% of the time they say walking is the best way to lose weight. I too was having the same problem until I started with 30 minutes of brisk walking a day. The weight began to fall off. I know that it sounds opposite of what you may think but, walking is more of a fat burning activity than running.

DJ Trashy 09-12-2008 11:50 PM

fuck this

Lanfear 09-13-2008 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ Trashy (Post 452359)
just found an awesome podcast that I listened to tonight. It guided me through the entire walk/run session, which was great as my chrono watch has a dead battery...

http://www.ullreys.com/robert/Podcasts/index.html

That's really handy - downloading right now!

26point2runner 09-14-2008 11:30 AM

How did the week go for you C25Kers? Did the plan you've chosen seem reasonable? Was it discouraging or are you ready to take on more?

I'd encourage you to find a 5k race somewhere near the end of your training program and register now. It'll be incentive to keep going plus having an actual finish line to cross will make it all worth while. It will also set the bar for the next 5k you complete ;).

Check out the Runner's World or Cool Running event calendars. Your local specialty running store may also have an event calendar on their website. The 5k distance is one of the more popular races and, depending on your location, one (or more) can be found on most weekends.

Good luck.

DJ Trashy 09-14-2008 04:22 PM

fuck this

Lanfear 09-17-2008 06:34 PM

week one is done - so far nothing hurts and its not overly challenging but I still don't enjoy it. On to week two now.

DJ Trashy 09-17-2008 06:38 PM

fuck this

j2x 09-17-2008 08:34 PM

while drinking beers with a buddy on a camping trip Labor Day weekend we made a pact to start jogging. Neither of us had ever run before and while we were in pretty good shape for being 31, we both wanted to loose the belly and improve our health.

The first few weeks we ran a mile 3x a week. He has an iRun for his iPod which works great for helping with distances, etc. Now we're running 3 miles every other day and 5k on the weekend.

At first I thought the mile would kill me. I had to stop to catch my breath all the time. I laugh at that now and we even did a 10k a couple weeks ago without stopping once. I can't believe how easy it is once you realize just how much of it is mental.

Plus, my two dogs love running with me. :)

Lanfear 09-23-2008 08:16 AM

week two has officially started for me...

I like the idea of having music with voice cues for the running but I did not feel the music for the podcast mentioned in a previous post - I found another one and will try it out on Wednesday:
Suz's Couch to 5k Running Podcasts | Inside the Mind of Suz

DJ Trashy 09-23-2008 08:28 AM

fuck this