Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 06-02-2010, 04:30 PM   #31 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

I'm gonna ditch WinMo in favor of Android via a HTC Desire...1Ghz of 'Droid beauty...vvvvv
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 04:39 PM   #32 (permalink)

I totally folded. Just walked out of the apple store with a 16gb version.

Damn this thing is exciting. Me likes.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:53 PM   #33 (permalink)
38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

I picked-up a 16GB iPad while I was in NYC for the April 15th madness. I really like it. I would not want to use it for large amounts of data entry, but I do really enjoy using it for media consumption. It's awesome for Twitter and checking emails. Surfing the web is great too, as long as you're not trying to do anything 'flashy'. Facebook and the KATG forums work really nice. I really enjoy apps like USA Today, or Wired magazine, and honestly think that tablet devices will eventually replace newspapers and magazines. Being able to browse casually through the articles and simply tap on the one you want to read is nice, not to mention how beautiful the pictures look on it.

I didn't get the 3G version, but I have jailbroken my iPhone and installed the MyWi app which takes my iPhone's 3G connection and creates a wi-fi hotspot wherever I am. The battery does take forever to charge, but it also holds the charge pretty good, even while watching TV shows on a trans-Atlantic flight.

So yeah, I'm really happy with it. I don't wish to claim that it's for everyone or that it's better than Android or whatever else. As far as computers go, I'm a PC guy, but Apple sure knows how to make some fun gadgets, and this one is pretty damn entertaining.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:13 PM   #34 (permalink)

Okay, so about 6 hours in to playing on the iPad off and on.

Firstly, I've spent WAY too damn much money on apps. Plants Vs Zombies? Check. Doodle Jump? Check. Flight Control? Check. Angry Birds? YEP, check.

The iPad is responsive, it slows a bit every now and then during rotations, but rarely. It's quick, the browsing is amazing and I effing love this thing.

I don't know if I'll ever get an Apple PC, and I'm sure I'll jailbrake this badboy, and then who knows where it'll go from there.

I can't wait to play some movies come my flight home. oh what to watch, I just have to make sure it's uber, uber pretty
Old 06-03-2010, 02:18 AM   #35 (permalink)

and just to note, it's so damn easy to jailbreak the iPad, it would be crazy not to...

The possibilities it opens... Jeesh.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:54 AM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesiac420 View Post
Better get your iPad/iPhone ASAP and get that unlimited data plan, cus AT&T are getting rid of it.

AT&T Kills Unlimited Data Plan For iPhones, iPads
I was really worried about this until I looked at my current data usage. I consider myself a power user, yet my iPhone data usage so far has only risen to 1.7GB in March, lower than that for all other months. I even jailbroke the phone and used my wifi-only iPad w/ MyWi on vacation last week and still managed not to exceed those numbers. I was very relieved to discover this even though I don't plan to upgrade any phones in the near future. Hell, I've even considered getting a 3G iPad w/ skype to replace the functionality of one of the iPhones! I mean I rarely use voice....
Old 06-03-2010, 03:28 PM   #37 (permalink)

You without a doubt use more on the iPad, it really is like a net book

I freaking love this thing, it is amazing in ways I cannot describe, typing is great, not as good as a net book, simply nbecause there is no physical keyboard but everything else makes up for it.

Fun times!!!!!!
Old 06-15-2010, 08:08 PM   #38 (permalink)
47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

So I jumped onboard with the iPad. I'm down for any suggestions for apps (aside from the obvious Air Video, Netflix, comic readers, etc...).
Old 06-16-2010, 02:16 AM   #39 (permalink)

Oh man, the options!!

First, jailbreak using spirit

Second, install backgrounder, sbsettings and circui...something, I forget but if your search "cydia" once you install you'll find it.

Outside of that, standard iPhone/touch apps apply.

Doodlejump, plants vs zombies, angry birds, flight control, parachute panic HD, etc...

As far as apps go, there are more newsreaders than you can shake a stick at, an amazing google rss reader called reeder, some amazing ebook apps like Kindle and random shit like flitter, imdb, starwalk, etc.

What are you planning on using it for?

Oh, and by the by, I just found out that the iPad has only 256 megs (or 512, the sources seem unclear) of ram.

You'd think that I am knocking it, and although it saddens me that my iOS upgrade won't be as amazing as I'd expected as there will be limits to the multitasking, the fact that this devices does so much SO well with so little says a HELL of a lot.

I still love it, so very much...
Old 06-16-2010, 07:25 AM   #40 (permalink)

just a little rant about jailbreaking....

my iPhone is currently jailbroke (is that a word?) - I did so and spent $10 freakin' dollars on MyWi for tethering on a recent vacation. Didn't really even use it that much. Other than that (this is the rant part) I can't find any good reason to jailbreak even an iPhone, and would never think about doing so to my iPad. The only thing that accomplishes is that it opens you up to a world of poorly written ugly applications that were designed by people used to writing apps on Windows Mobile or Palm. I don't need to know how much RAM my iPad has. And when you already have 200,000 apps, Cydia seems like a whole lot of work for no reason.

OK, rant done, thanks for listening...