Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2010, 07:20 PM   #71 (permalink)
Senior Member
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer
 
Rufio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 991
Quote:
Originally Posted by banger316 View Post
Yeah cause obviously in this day in age we don't have books or podcasts or oh yeah this little known device called the internet to keep ourselves informed. I know what your thinking the internet i thought it was just for porn no in fact it is a wonderful resource for scientific lay mans like myself so no the classroom is not a more up to date source for info on technology and scientific breakthroughs.
wait youre comparing listening to podcasts/reading a wikipedia page to actually having a college level education on the subject?
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 10:53 AM   #72 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 237
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufio View Post
wait youre comparing listening to podcasts/reading a wikipedia page to actually having a college level education on the subject?
First off dumb dumb why are you attacking me when you have not even taking a position on what the thread is about. You clearly did not read my posts, and are misrepresenting what i was saying so i will repeat it slow for you. In today's world there are many resources for information such as science books and peer reviewed journals that have accredited scientists/teachers who write for them also some of those scientist/teachers do podcasts about science. Then there are websites also ran by scientists/teachers, and no not just wikipedia smarty pants.

A college education is important however going to college does not equal knowing the material. I for example do not need a college education to understand the large hadron collider. If you do that is fine i have always had a knack for science it was one of my better subjects so the material comes easier to me than perhaps for someone like you.
__________________
Team VI all the way
Twitter @xenogears1234
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:28 PM   #73 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Station's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 392
I'll preface this by saying that I don't always agree with Spooky. Hell, I may not even on this topic, but I just popped in here and haven't read anything yet. What I have read are the last few posts and I have to say, if you're going to call people morons, learn how to structure a coherent paragraph. See, here's what you wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by banger316 View Post
Yeah cause obviously in this day in age we don't have books or podcasts or oh yeah this little known device called the internet to keep ourselves informed. I know what your thinking the internet i thought it was just for porn no in fact it is a wonderful resource for scientific lay mans like myself so no the classroom is not a more up to date source for info on technology and scientific breakthroughs.
Now, here's how it should be written (especially to achieve the sarcastic tone you were trying so desperately to accomplish):

Yeah because obviously, in this day in age we don't have books, podcasts or this little known device called "the internet" to keep ourselves informed. I know what you're thinking "the internet? I thought it was just for porn!" NO! In fact, it is a wonderful resource for a scientific layman like myself. The classroom is not a more up to date source for information on technology and scientific breakthroughs.

See how easy that is when you actually have a diploma? Much to your point, the internet doesn't have to be stupid

Last edited by Station; 04-07-2010 at 09:31 PM.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:50 PM   #74 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Station View Post
I'll preface this by saying that I don't always agree with Spooky. Hell, I may not even on this topic, but I just popped in here and haven't read anything yet. What I have read are the last few posts and I have to say, if you're going to call people morons, learn how to structure a coherent paragraph. See, here's what you wrote:



Now, here's how it should be written (especially to achieve the sarcastic tone you were trying so desperately to accomplish):

Yeah because obviously, in this day in age we don't have books, podcasts or this little known device called "the internet" to keep ourselves informed. I know what you're thinking "the internet? I thought it was just for porn!" NO! In fact, it is a wonderful resource for a scientific layman like myself. The classroom is not a more up to date source for information on technology and scientific breakthroughs.

See how easy that is when you actually have a diploma? Much to your point, the internet doesn't have to be stupid
Last time i checked i have a diploma, and have had one since 2000 so i don't get why you are attacking me about my grammar. It is childish, and petty if you understood the point i was making including the sarcasm then i expressed myself properly. Stop being a grammar nazi for gods sake my tag line saids puncuation is for pussies get it.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 12:08 AM   #75 (permalink)
Senior Member
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer
 
DWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 4,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by banger316 View Post
Last time i checked i have a diploma, and have had one since 2000 so i don't get why you are attacking me about my grammar. It is childish, and petty if you understood the point i was making including the sarcasm then i expressed myself properly. Stop being a grammar nazi for gods sake my tag line saids puncuation is for pussies get it.
For the love of god, stop raping the English language already.

Not to mention your sig is ironic not only because you equate punctuation with spelling, but there are also no punctuation errors in it, and in fact you went out of your way to saturate it with punctuation marks.

Last edited by DWarrior; 04-08-2010 at 12:11 AM.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 12:18 AM   #76 (permalink)
Senior Member
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer
 
Rufio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 991
Quote:
Originally Posted by banger316 View Post
Last time i checked i have a diploma, and have had one since 2000 so i don't get why you are attacking me about my grammar. It is childish, and petty if you understood the point i was making including the sarcasm then i expressed myself properly. Stop being a grammar nazi for gods sake my tag line saids puncuation is for pussies get it.
whats your major?
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 12:55 AM   #77 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
spooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by banger316 View Post
First off dumb dumb why are you attacking me when you have not even taking a position on what the thread is about. You clearly did not read my posts, and are misrepresenting what i was saying so i will repeat it slow for you. In today's world there are many resources for information such as science books and peer reviewed journals that have accredited scientists/teachers who write for them also some of those scientist/teachers do podcasts about science. Then there are websites also ran by scientists/teachers, and no not just wikipedia smarty pants.

A college education is important however going to college does not equal knowing the material. I for example do not need a college education to understand the large hadron collider. If you do that is fine i have always had a knack for science it was one of my better subjects so the material comes easier to me than perhaps for someone like you.
First, the disconnected nature of information online makes it inferior to college. Second, while the breadth is there, the depth is lacking. Third, college is as much about discipline as it is about knowledge, another thing lacking online. Fourth, you aren't going to get access to the majority of those peer reviewed journals without a college affiliation. Last, you aren't going to know what to read once you get access to those journals, much less understand what is there. Those journals are people's phD papers, not freshman year undergrad material. I'm not even going to address the podcasts, at best it's declaring the discovery channel is comparable to a physics class.

I work with scientists, even going to places like Viet Nam on field surveys, I've studied the crap out of a narrow field of science to the point that I am told I am one of the 20 foremost experts on Southeast Asian amphibians. I know all there is to know online about the subject, and I can tell you with authority that I know next to nothing compared to the college graduate phD scientists I've worked with. I can also tell you with authority that what is available online is crap.

Just for laughs, though, I'd love to see you write a proposal for an LHC experiment and submit here for us to examine.

In the meantime, take a chill pill. Nobody here cares if you are smart, we care about what you have to say. So far, most of what you have had to say is that other people are dumber than you for believing an actual education is better than the internet, and you've consistently delivered that message with some of the worst grammar I've seen. Clearly not the kind of precise language abilities that would allow you to wade through science journals. Clearly not the experienced internet savvy to slip past even the lamest grammar nazi in a debate, either.

What are we supposed to believe about you when you write like this?

Here's what I think: You are about 17-19 years old, either half assing college because you haven't picked a major yet or, as a deflection mechanism, you dismiss college altogether because it's expensive and you didn't have the grades for a free ride.

I think you never studied and easily got Bs in high school, maybe with a consistent A in science or math class, and you are trying to justify your academic inability as laziness brought on by boredom caused by your low level dummy peers lagging so far behind you. In the end, though, it's still your academic inability.

"Child."

"Dummy."

You still haven't learned how to deliver a message, either. Posturing, your own ego, they still weigh you down, trip you up. The messenger is still more important than the message to you.

How close am I?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepetek View Post
To be fair, to really follow Spooky's diet, you can't just eat chicken. You have to spend your days cleaning up after a slob roommate and night shivering like a rain soaked rage filled chihuahua about having to clean up after said roommate until you finally snap and yell at him. It should be called the Mexican maid diet.

Last edited by spooky; 04-08-2010 at 12:58 AM.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 12:58 AM   #78 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Station's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by banger316 View Post
Last time i checked i have a diploma, and have had one since 2000 so i don't get why you are attacking me about my grammar. It is childish, and petty if you understood the point i was making including the sarcasm then i expressed myself properly. Stop being a grammar nazi for gods sake my tag line saids puncuation is for pussies get it.
Saids puncuation? Do you mean "Says punctuation"? I'll make you a deal. I'll stop being a grammar nazi if you can figure out what a run on sentence is. This isn't about grammar, that should be fairly obvious. If you're going to call people idiots and morons, try not to come off like one every 5 words or less. I mean, come on, "saids"? Really?
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 01:47 AM   #79 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
fluxquanta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,122
A college diploma doesn't mean much, especially in this economy, am I right?
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:54 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
Keith and The GirlAd Management plugin by RedTyger