Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 12-05-2006, 10:06 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunderling
After having our home burglarized while we slept, I have entertained the thought of going to gun training and keeping a gun in the house. However, I know myself too well and realize that my nerves would get the best of me. I would probably end up killing myself or someone I love by accident.

The other night I dreamed that I was home alone with the kids and we were being "invaded" again. I didn't know how I was going to defend my family since I don't own a gun -- it was a horrible, helpless feeling. Still not sure what the answer is. (Kung Fu?)

That's awful! It's really ballsy of a crook to go into a home when people are there. They don't know if you have a gun, will confront them, etc. Then you have the cases where the cops bust into the wrong house/apartment and shoot the place up because the person living there is frightened by these strangers busting in on him without announcing who they are. Sounds like that's what happened with the 92 year old woman who was recently shot out West (California?). The cops claim she was a drug dealer but that's in dispute now.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:09 AM   #12 (permalink)

An older gentleman actually just killed a kid in town (Minneapolis) last week for breaking into his home. The guy had a gun in his bedroom, heard an intruder and shot him. I haven't heard the full story yet but how can you fault the guy for protecting himself and his property?
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 02:19 PM   #13 (permalink)
2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
After having our home burglarized while we slept, I have entertained the thought of going to gun training and keeping a gun in the house. However, I know myself too well and realize that my nerves would get the best of me. I would probably end up killing myself or someone I love by accident.

The other night I dreamed that I was home alone with the kids and we were being "invaded" again. I didn't know how I was going to defend my family since I don't own a gun -- it was a horrible, helpless feeling. Still not sure what the answer is. (Kung Fu?)
I hear you about that gutwrenching helpless feeling. Most fighting arts are good fun and help other aspects of your life like discipline and stress relief but they can be pretty limitted help in real life confrontations where there's more than one assailant so unless you have a lot of spare time and are willing to stick at it a few times a week for at least two years it probably wouldn't be what you need. I'd never tell someone not to train but if you do go that way look for a course aimed specifically for self defence (over the sport side of it) that teaches you how to fight really dirty and that involves a lot of grappling rather than striking.

I'm guessing you beefed up your home security after the first time but it's always worth going over all that again, especially with kids in the picture, and security companies usually give free consulting and quotes (at least in NZ they do) so the more range of advice you get you don't end up out of pocket. Just remember they're all salesmen in a way too so have your guard up a little so you don't get talked into stuff that's really not going to help you. I mean, you never want to build a guilded cage for the kids and you don't want to go broke setting up security systems but sometimes there's a few simple things you can do. Also, if guns are no good to you look at tasers, they take out that x-factor that guns have, partly because you won't kill someone, partly just the fact they don't have the same vibe guns do.
Old 12-05-2006, 04:33 PM   #14 (permalink)

I am afraid of being shot, so I'm going to go to the local shooting club tomorrow and stand in front of a target. Or maybe I'll just break into one of your guys' homes.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:42 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleJ
Add me to the list too! When my boyfriend decided to get into shooting I told him the only way I'd be ok with having guns in the house was if we took classes. The first time I shot I was terrified, but I got over it real quick. Now going to the range is one of our favorite things to do on our days off.
See i want to go to a gun range now too but here you have to get a license to own and operate guns. WHich means 2 safety courses and then applying for the license. Either that or ihave to find someone with a license each time i want to go.

In the summer the guninstructor holds an advanced course with shotguns, with blanks and real ammo so i'll probably take that once it comes along.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:24 PM   #16 (permalink)
zwa

Quote:
An older gentleman actually just killed a kid in town (Minneapolis) last week for breaking into his home. The guy had a gun in his bedroom, heard an intruder and shot him. I haven't heard the full story yet but how can you fault the guy for protecting himself and his property?
If you wouldnt die for something, i dont see how you can justify killing for it.