Keith and The Girl Forums

Keith and The Girl Forums (http://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/index.php)
-   Talk Shite (http://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Friends, let's share music with one another. (http://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18756)

robotparker 08-08-2014 01:46 PM

Friends, let's share music with one another.

Now that we're all friends, let's share things with each other like friends do!

This is currently my favorite song of all time:

robotparker 08-08-2014 04:55 PM

Is there something wrong with me that I actually kind of liked that song? It had a couple hot licks! A little autotune and it's ready to go.

It's not as good as this though:

robotparker 08-09-2014 01:44 AM

What's the deal? Are we not friends?

Bucho 08-09-2014 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robotparker (Post 829292)
It's not as good as this though:

Maybe it's me, but for me that dude has a real Ween vibe.

John Galt 08-09-2014 08:03 AM

Fair warning, I love music threads.

Some tunes are just fun and catchy ...

robotparker 08-09-2014 06:11 PM

Are John Galt's videos not working for anyone else?

Also, here's a quick refresher on how to embed videos:

Take the url for the video, which should look something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIYySjIyy_I

And take the mish-mash of letters after the "watch?v=" part and wrap it in the youtube tag, like so:

(youtube)OIYySjIyy_I(/youtube)

Except replace the parenthesis which square brackets: [ ]

If you do it right, it'll look like this:

J. Canines 08-10-2014 12:13 AM

J. Canines 08-10-2014 01:52 AM

John Galt 08-10-2014 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robotparker (Post 829379)
Are John Galt's videos not working for anyone else?

Also, here's a quick refresher on how to embed videos:

Take the url for the video, which should look something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIYySjIyy_I

And take the mish-mash of letters after the "watch?v=" part and wrap it in the youtube tag, like so:

(youtube)OIYySjIyy_I(/youtube)

Except replace the parenthesis which square brackets: [ ]

Which is weird, because I've been doing this shit for years. Let's try this whole thing again, shall we?

Scumhook 08-10-2014 07:38 PM

Enunciated Piffle 08-13-2014 02:03 AM

poiuyt 08-13-2014 11:34 PM

nice song.:)

John Galt 08-19-2014 11:27 PM

if you liked that one, check this out:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/a...ines-new-album

bithead 08-23-2014 08:36 PM

Alain Caron

Alain Caron is arguably one of the best bass players in the world.

Of course the musicians in his band are no slouches either.

This one is much more mellow and groov'n, but doesn't show his technique

robotparker 08-25-2014 04:41 PM

POS is one of the most slept-on MC's out now. Allow me to present exhibit A:

Enunciated Piffle 08-27-2014 11:40 PM

Danger Mouse has laid beats to two of my most favorite collaborations: Blue Eyes To Bedstuy and Broken Bells:

Enunciated Piffle 08-27-2014 11:44 PM

Enunciated Piffle 08-27-2014 11:54 PM

NEW psychedelic rock

I saw these guys live and they blew my Goddamn mind. It's one of the greatest new bands on the psychedelic scene; that I am aware of.

1st track rocks but does devolve into a tempo that is odd. Great classic sound though.

Enunciated Piffle 08-28-2014 12:02 AM

I like many different musical genres and love seeing live music but have found two genres that lack in the 'live music' dept. Hip hop and electronic are among the WORST to see live. Love them, but not live. That's me.

Seems like you guys are into varied whatnot. What's your favorite show? What's that live show that really defined your musical taste and possibly seared into your cranium on a 'defining self' type level?

bithead 08-28-2014 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enunciated Piffle (Post 830853)
I like many different musical genres and love seeing live music but have found two genres that lack in the 'live music' dept. Hip hop and electronic are among the WORST to see live. Love them, but not live. That's me.

Seems like you guys are into varied whatnot. What's your favorite show? What's that live show that really defined your musical taste and possibly seared into your cranium on a 'defining self' type level?

I was classically trained in piano since age 5, but didn't play any jazz or do any improvisation until I was in my early teens. When I started performing live jazz/rock fusion in high school, I developed an ever-lasting love for the style. I saw Manteca, a Toronto-based latin-jazz band, and was hooked. I enjoy music on a "creativity & technical difficulty/complexity" level, which sounds pompous but really isn't; I just get something different out of music than others do.

Enunciated Piffle 08-28-2014 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bithead (Post 830876)
I just get something different out of music than others do.

That's cool you play piano. This last part threw me a bit though. What in particular do you get out of music that others do not?

bithead 08-28-2014 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enunciated Piffle (Post 830878)
That's cool you play piano. This last part threw me a bit though. What in particular do you get out of music that others do not?

The general population likes certain music because it's catchy or makes them want to dance. Whereas I tend to appreciate music that is technically difficult or complex to play/perform, and that is done so masterfully. Think of it this way... an audience hears a comedian tell a fucking hilarious joke and go ape-shit with laughter. A comedian listening to the same joke says "ha, that's funny" because they appreciate the technical things that needed to happen to make that joke work so well.

Enunciated Piffle 08-30-2014 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bithead (Post 830891)
Think of it this way... an audience hears a comedian tell a fucking hilarious joke and go ape-shit with laughter. A comedian listening to the same joke says "ha, that's funny" because they appreciate the technical things that needed to happen to make that joke work so well.

Ah yes. The world of jazz. Very elite crowd and all that ;):rolleyes::eek:

Enunciated Piffle 08-30-2014 09:45 AM

Love this song. It's a morning cup of tea song. There's nothing technical or hidden about it. Just good. Also, the stand up bass never hurts.

robotparker 09-10-2014 03:17 PM

I haven't thought about the Be Good Tanyas jam in a while. Thanks for posting it!

Here's a fun music video about the greatest minds in history outsmarting Yahweh:

Enunciated Piffle 09-10-2014 03:25 PM

DUDE! This is my new favorito!

I don't care what anyone says about 80s style music. I fucking love it. Reminds me of watching The Goonies and childhood etc

"Evolution did what Creation only dreamed of..." What a great track w/ a great video. Very Monty Python-ish.

Nice. I'm off to the torrents with this one :)

Enunciated Piffle 09-11-2014 10:13 AM

The Silver Jews are essentially one dude who is a very good writer but not the greatest singer. Even so, the album Lookout Mountain, Lookout Sea has some real gems on it. This one cracks me up...

robotparker 09-12-2014 12:07 PM

Silver Jews are another one of my faves. I live in the same city as Lookout Mountain. I guess those thoughts are connected somehow. Anyways, here's my favorite Silver Jews jam:

"Half-hours on Earth. What are they worth? I don't know."

I pretty much hate all poetry, but he has a poetry book called Actual Air that's actually pretty interesting.

Enunciated Piffle 09-12-2014 01:49 PM

Cool. Yeah, lyrics like "Romance is the douche of the bourgeoisie was the very first thing she imparted to me" are just...just phenomenal writing. I added to Actual Air to the library list. Not a fan of poetry either.

So, even if you have heard of Cloud Nothings, here's an old live acoustic version that is worth a listen. I like his album Turning On.

Enunciated Piffle 09-14-2014 12:50 PM

This hiphop track samples Joanna Newsom and has suicide as it's subject. It's win-win, baby!

Enunciated Piffle 09-14-2014 06:21 PM

Bob Dylan told a story in his Chronicles Vol. 1, a story of going to Woody Guthrie's house. This was long ago and Woody was in a mental hospital. A young Arlo met him at the door. There was a bunch of writing/ lyrics meant to be given to Dylan from Guthrie. He never got them.

Years later, Billy Bragg and Wilco would take these lyrics and make Mermaid Vol. 1 & 2. Both of which are...tremendous.

Enunciated Piffle 09-14-2014 06:46 PM

"I ain't the world's best writer. Ain't the world's best speller, but when I believe in something I'm the loudest yeller"

My favorite.

Enunciated Piffle 09-15-2014 12:59 PM

There's only a small/ narrow chance you will like this band but if you do this entire album Light Up Gold is fucking golden. Reminds me of the time I thought The Strokes first album was genius, listened to it an entire summer only to decide the band was absolutely void of any real talent and the only thing likable was their singer Julian Casablancas.

Parquet Courts has been compared to Velvet Underground and maybe that's appeal. It just comes across honest and simple. Like your buddy's garage band. Earnest, I suppose.

Song Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACj-...=RDACj-F63GK_M

Paraquat 09-15-2014 07:30 PM

I've been getting into "In This Moment" recently.

Do I have to post or embed a link? Is that in the rules?

Enunciated Piffle 09-16-2014 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paraquat (Post 831624)
I've been getting into "In This Moment" recently.

Do I have to post or embed a link? Is that in the rules?

Well, it's RobotParker's thread, but it is KATG forums... Post away!

I'm not familiar with In This Moment. Post a link please. Or embed video.

Enunciated Piffle 09-16-2014 09:59 AM

Fat Possum Records

I love me some Fat Possum Records. There's a ton of lesser known, legit players.

Enunciated Piffle 09-16-2014 10:06 AM

P9NG7-lgRlQ

Paraquat 09-16-2014 12:12 PM

IN THIS MOMENT - Blood (OFFICIAL VIDEO): http://youtu.be/5ZF5m-vmDzM

IN THIS MOMENT - Adrenalize (OFFICIAL VIDEO): http://youtu.be/dXMfdpjnAHU

IN THIS MOMENT - Whore (OFFICIAL VIDEO): http://youtu.be/GurkREc-q4I

Something about this Dame in this cover... she's just SO sexy to me.

In This Moment - Call Me (Blondie Cover) Legendado: http://youtu.be/dMtLch_VagY

Enunciated Piffle 09-17-2014 08:45 AM

In This Moment looks and sounds like what that particular music genre would post Marilyn Manson. I think Manson did it better. I think that sound is all about producing fucked up and/ or disturbing videos to sell records and t shirts that piss parents off at Hot Topic.

Enunciated Piffle 09-17-2014 09:09 AM