Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 12-31-2008, 03:46 PM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lissabunnie View Post
does it ever get cold?
Yes of course. We live in the southern ocean. Next stop ... Antarctica!
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 11:41 AM   #32 (permalink)
Zim

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdrafttech View Post
That's like saying there is science on both sides of evolution vs creationism. The vast majority of scientists believe that man is having a dramatic impact on climate.

Who are the outside intrests promoting climate change? Who exactly is profiting from it? Politicians? It's a lot easier to stand up for driving across the street to pick up a loaf of bread than to promote conservation. Wind farmers? It's a lot easier to raise money from oil interests than from renewable energy interests. Scientists themselves? Yea, considering that there is nothing important left to learn or study they created a false industry I guess.

yet you bite when commercial bias is the main motivation for a conclusion

The removal of the questioning process is not science. Science seeks to disprove its conclusions and theories. When scientists conclude that man is causing global warming, it is based on evidence and a lack of "disproof". Carbon industry can cry bias all they want, but it is meaningless when it doesn't stand against real science.

Shocking, it's an opinion column.

Climate change controversies: a simple guide

Special Report: Climate Change: Scientific American

IPCC - Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change
I'll admit to being a solarphile. I think of the Sun as G-d's own Nuke. That is my bias and I'll admit it. However, I am a nuclear physicist and know a little about the scientific method. Your dogma is shockingly like the religion you dislike so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motownguy View Post
First of all, I'm not saying that man doesn't have an impact on the planet. I'm saying that when someone says "that's it, case closed" on scientific questions, I get suspicious. A couple of thousand years ago everybody knew that the earth was the center of the universe. A few hundred years ago everybody knew the earth was flat. Less than a hundred years ago everybody knew that the atom was the smallest thing going. Some of those creationists just know that they're correct too. Good grief, tobacco smoke used to be perscribed to people suffering shortness of breath. Climate change is real and well documented, the effects that people have on climate systems are documented in some specific studies, but I don't think that they've been taken to the "case closed" level.

Plenty of people profit from the idea of Global Warming. Pickens is trying to ride that train right now to get people to buy into his alternative energy plans. Again, I'm not trying to say that we don't need to look at alternative fuels, but I am saying that there is money on both sides of the equation. Some of that money is in the form of governmental and foundational grants, some of it is in charging a premium for "green" goods. Gore certainly hasn't burned through his bank account giving away books, movie tickets, and speaking fees. Science doesn't get done without someone paying the invoices, no matter how pure the scientists themselves are.

Of course it's an opinion column. I referenced it because it discussed govermental bodies saying that there was no point in further questioning Global Warming theories. You are making my argument for me, thank you, sir.

All three of these articles referrence the same studies. Two of them refer specifically to the same IGP group that "closed the case" as I mentioned before. As you agreed, removing the questioning process is not science.

Back to Gore, he has some basic flaws in his logic. One of them is so easy to demonstrate that elementary school kids regularly do it when they study the Archimedes Principle.

Again, my point here is simply that whether we call it Climate Change, Global Warming, or Al's Gusty Fart Effect ... I doubt the case is closed.
Climate science has so many different variables that it is almost a social science, which is a misnomer in itself. Show me a climate model and I can change one variable over a given stretch of time and I'll show you a contradictory climate model. That is to say, anyone who says they have Earth's climate figured out is either an extreme egoist or clinically insane. Take your pick and watch the ice cubes melt Al's theory away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandra View Post
Now you do have to hand it to Al "Gusty Farts" Gore. He's got the best marketing plan for a hypothesis I've seen since the Catholic Church's marketing strategy. Wait, perhaps there is something to be said about the similarities to the blind faith required by the Church and the blind faith required by the "Global Warming/Cooling/Changing/Wierding" zealots. Wait, wait, maybe Global W/C/C/W is a religion for those who don't believe in religion.
The Catholic Church, CocaCola, and faux-science ... beautiful marketing and witch hunts for all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cretaceous Bob View Post
I will openly declare that I masturbate with a cheese grater.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoav View Post
ya that's where i had to stop, i couldn't take the cuteness
Old 01-05-2009, 07:25 AM   #33 (permalink)
Zim

Another opinion bit which I think is appropriate since the subject of the article has departed from science of offer his opinion on tax policy.

IBDeditorials.com: Editorials, Political Cartoons, and Polls from Investor's Business Daily -- Green Comes Clean

Hmmm, now why in the world would a government funded organization have an interest in carbon taxes?
Old 01-05-2009, 05:28 PM   #34 (permalink)

I must have missed it.... when did the climate not change?