Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 01-03-2008, 12:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Funeral Singing

Ok, I'm 19 so I've only been to a hand full of funerals, all family except for one, and the last one I was at, I sang Amazing Grace.

Well, my great grandmother passed away this morning and my grandmother (her daughter) called me just now to ask me if I would sing Amazing Grace for the funeral.

I said yes because... well, I just did. Right now thinking about it, I know I can do it, but I'm afraid once I see everyone there and get in my head, I may not be able to make it. I wasn't very close with my great grandmother except when I was little, so I have no extreme sadness because it was expected and she's no longer sick, so she's better off. (She was 90-something and still smoked in her nursing home.)

Anyways, I guess I am asking for advice. My grandmother has ALWAYS loved hearing me sing. She's been to just about every concert, play, sporting event, anything where I was singing and I feel that I need to do this for her. But, I am not sure I will be able to make it through the song...

What should I do?
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 12:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

keep something sharp in your hand that you can squeeze if you get emotional. pain is good for blocking out emotion.
Old 01-03-2008, 12:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
Ok, I'm 19 so I've only been to a hand full of funerals, all family except for one, and the last one I was at, I sang Amazing Grace.

Well, my great grandmother passed away this morning and my grandmother (her daughter) called me just now to ask me if I would sing Amazing Grace for the funeral.

I said yes because... well, I just did. Right now thinking about it, I know I can do it, but I'm afraid once I see everyone there and get in my head, I may not be able to make it. I wasn't very close with my great grandmother except when I was little, so I have no extreme sadness because it was expected and she's no longer sick, so she's better off. (She was 90-something and still smoked in her nursing home.)

Anyways, I guess I am asking for advice. My grandmother has ALWAYS loved hearing me sing. She's been to just about every concert, play, sporting event, anything where I was singing and I feel that I need to do this for her. But, I am not sure I will be able to make it through the song...

What should I do?
percevere. you can do it. transform the whole fucking place with your angelic voice. do it for your grandma. it is a huge blessing.

you can do it!

don't sweat it, you'll do great. just relax and sing from your heart....and mouth. :-)

my condolences to you and your family. remember that there are few commandments more important then comforting the mourning.
Old 01-03-2008, 12:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooky View Post
keep something sharp in your hand that you can squeeze if you get emotional. pain is good for blocking out emotion.
go stab yourself with something sharp. you are a huge emotional pain in my ass.

fuck you spooky and your stupid ass advice
Old 01-03-2008, 12:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce View Post
percevere. you can do it. transform the whole fucking place with your angelic voice. do it for your grandma. it is a huge blessing.

you can do it!

don't sweat it, you'll do great. just relax and sing from your heart....and mouth. :-)

my condolences to you and your family. remember that there are few commandments more important then comforting the mourning.
Thank you, Deuce. I really appreciate it.
Old 01-03-2008, 12:49 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
Thank you, Deuce. I really appreciate it.
no problem
it was a no-brainer. i just think you need to feel the support. you got this one.

and even in the worst case, you get emotional and choked up and don't make it through the song. you will be not only forgiven but you will only help serve the solemnity of the day. and i am sure your grandma will be proud no matter what
Old 01-03-2008, 12:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer

spooky's advice is actually a standard among performers. I have done lots of performing in my life, nothing is harder than singing alone. I have done Nat'l Anthems for crowds as large as 5K. I have used my car key in the palm of my hand when my knees were shaking.
The secret is to focus on the rudiments, execution. All good singers know the breathing exercises, do those as your performance is getting close (getting nervous just thinking about it). Keep your eyes moving across the room, don't look at any one person, look at groups. Seek out the strong. And breathe.
Condolences, best wishes,
John F. O'Donnel, KATG Show #1127 @01:35:33
"I will hammer-fuck you with my cock of destiny."
"The most powerful force in the universe is irony." - jdb, 1994 "Ignorance is never not arrogant." - jdb, 2007

Old 01-03-2008, 01:26 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
go stab yourself with something sharp. you are a huge emotional pain in my ass.

fuck you spooky and your stupid ass advice

i pretty much only respond to you, deuce. if i am a pain, it is one of your own choosing.

groupie.

speaking of something sharp, hows that scar on your leg, deuce? does it exist?
Old 01-03-2008, 01:34 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooky View Post
i pretty much only respond to you, deuce. if i am a pain, it is one of your own choosing.

groupie.

speaking of something sharp, hows that scar on your leg, deuce? does it exist?
eat shit, you fruity awkward faggot.

i give two shits about what you believe.

you must feel bad cause of that crazy nonstop pussyfest that is your life.

why is it that all your girls, though, cheat on you? hmmm...interesting

Old 01-03-2008, 01:36 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
eat shit, you fruity awkward faggot.

i give two shits about what you believe.

you must feel bad cause of that crazy nonstop pussyfest that is your life.

why is it that all your girls, though, cheat on you? hmmm...interesting

teehee, struck a nerve, did i? deflection is the most obvious form of compensation.

faker.