Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 02-02-2008, 03:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation Hard Candy - my.freaking.god

Okay, after all the talk about Juno, the comments about Hard Candy there and on the show finally made me look it up and watch it. Normally it's not the kind of flick that I just pick up and watch immediately, but I did last night, and holy shit.

If you haven't seen it, you've likely heard Keith and Chemda talk about it on the show. The plot is fairly straighforward and you likely know a fair amount from what's been discussed, so I don't need to go into that.

What I am amazed in the movie that just blew my mind away was the acting between Page and the guy who plays the dirty bastard. The performace by Page, who was just 18 at the time amazed me, I could not imagine any actor, let alone an 18 year old, pulling off such a psychopathic and disturbing role, while still showing that level of depth, unlike something like American Psycho and Christian Bale.

The direction, I think, was amazing, just fantastic and the colors, the cuts and the feel for the movie was breathtaking. And what the director was able to bring out in the actors was fantastic, just fantastic.

In one scene, eh, I'll give a bit away, dirty molester is tied up by the hands, and they actually made sure his hands showed that the blood circulation was cut off, they were purple and it yet again made everything more realistic, and pulled you more into the film.

And even with the dark, distubing subject matter, it still never felt uncomfortable as something like 8mm, again making it that much more powerful. You really root for Hailey, and she continues to show her level of insanity but genius.

I want to recommend this movie to everyone, not just those that have kids thinking this movie will "hit them more", it is a movie that I think everyone needs to see. Even if you don't think it's the best movie, the acting, the direction, etc is worth seeing.

Not in the "this is an indie movie and omg, the whole thing, it really made me think" like no country.

It's simple, there's little dialogue outside of the 2 main characters (Sandra Oh fucking kicks ass) and I realized, when I paused to piss, that an hour went by, and felt like minutes.

It makes panic room look boring. It's edge of the seat fuck you up, insanity and it's awesome.

Discuss?
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 03:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

Nah.
Old 02-02-2008, 04:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Nah.
Touchè

When I see a response from you, I generally realize it just can't be good, but hey... I know what to expect, at least.

This does make me realize that someone needs to force Coco"nut" to watch this.
Old 02-02-2008, 04:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andsoitgoes View Post
Good review
Discuss?
Great. That's enough to make me watch it
Old 02-02-2008, 04:43 PM   #5 (permalink)

Saw it when it came out. Loved it.
Old 02-02-2008, 05:07 PM   #6 (permalink)

the director failed with his audience, and its a shame.

i suppose the cohen brothers did too.

with both movies(hard candy and no country for old men), i think most people dont follow the ride correctly. this one has a more stab you in the face ending, though, so people probably feel more fufilled, but both movies should involve the viewer, both movies, the point was to manipulate the viewers emotion.

if you watch the movie, and dont start off thinking the pedophile should die, then start to feel empathy for him as it progresses, start to doubt yourself, your notions about how guilty he actually is, who the evil person actually is, then you missed the point, and the ending is lost on you.

according to statistics, though, about 62% of you are retarded. so about a third of you should really enjoy this movie.
To be fair, to really follow Spooky's diet, you can't just eat chicken. You have to spend your days cleaning up after a slob roommate and night shivering like a rain soaked rage filled chihuahua about having to clean up after said roommate until you finally snap and yell at him. It should be called the Mexican maid diet.
Old 02-02-2008, 05:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooky View Post
the director failed with his audience, and its a shame.

i suppose the cohen brothers did too.

with both movies(hard candy and no country for old men), i think most people dont follow the ride correctly. this one has a more stab you in the face ending, though, so people probably feel more fufilled, but both movies should involve the viewer, both movies, the point was to manipulate the viewers emotion.

if you watch the movie, and dont start off thinking the pedophile should die, then start to feel empathy for him as it progresses, start to doubt yourself, your notions about how guilty he actually is, who the evil person actually is, then you missed the point, and the ending is lost on you.

according to statistics, though, about 62% of you are retarded. so about a third of you should really enjoy this movie.
I liked the ending of No Country for Old Men.
Old 02-02-2008, 05:10 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bebe View Post
I liked the ending of No Country for Old Men.
of course you did. youre not in the bottom two thirds, though.
Old 02-02-2008, 05:11 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooky View Post
of course you did. youre not in the bottom two thirds, though.
Sweet. I was worried about that
Old 02-02-2008, 05:12 PM   #10 (permalink)

I saw this a while back when a friend bought LOVED it. I was into it, and yea, that ball scene... hurt.