Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2008, 08:32 PM   #21 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
spooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatethesooners View Post
Yeah I just watched this a few nights ago and was pretty impressed with the performance from both the actors. I wasn't terribly impressed with the movie itself, but it wasn't awful.

BTW, there are few things as obnoxious as someone who presumes to tell you how you should feel or think about a movie. Or a book, or play, or anything of the sort. If you didn't like a movie, fine. Don't tell me I'm an idiot for not liking it, or that I didn't 'get' it. And vice versa.

i bet you hated literature class in school/college. and extending that logic, i bet you dont like to be led around by dumb directors and writers and cinematogrophers and actors. quite obnoxious indeed.

and dont read into what i say, twist the words to suit your own personal issues. i didnt tell you how to feel, thats not my job. at best, i just point when youre about to miss the boat.

lots of people didnt get lots of things about lots of movies. its not subjective. you can argue that the fault lies with the director, for not dumbing it down enough to be obvious to the masses, or you can blame the viewer, too oblivious to realize that theres things going on besides explosions on the screen. or both. i blame mostly the director. like a painter, its his job to lead the eye around his canvas and tell you the story, tell you how to see it, tell you how to feel about it.

and what i hate more than anything, is someone who will let people continue to remain ignorant when you can shed light on things. would you let someone walk into traffic, just not to be the obnoxious asshole who yells "hey fucktard, youre about to die"

meh. i guess we arent all looking to better ourselves.

edit: and further, why does anyone care how someone on the forums delivers a message, when did presentation become more valuable than content?

fuck sparkles and rainbows, say something worthwhile.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepetek View Post
To be fair, to really follow Spooky's diet, you can't just eat chicken. You have to spend your days cleaning up after a slob roommate and night shivering like a rain soaked rage filled chihuahua about having to clean up after said roommate until you finally snap and yell at him. It should be called the Mexican maid diet.

Last edited by spooky; 02-02-2008 at 08:44 PM.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 08:34 PM   #22 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ShadyMcDougal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bay City, TX
Posts: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by andsoitgoes View Post
If? I wish.

When they do, if she's in it, I'll watch it.

Fuck, if they put her in an episode of Degrassi I'll watch it.
Too far... take it back!
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 09:59 PM   #23 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
robotparker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 511
I liked both movies a lot. however, I hated Dracula: Dead And Loving It.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 10:14 PM   #24 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!
 
Keith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: NYC, baby!
Posts: 12,775
Then you missed the boat.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 10:33 PM   #25 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
andsoitgoes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,123
***********************SPOILERS BELOW, STOP NOW IF YOU HAVE NOT SEEN THIS MOVIE :P****************

One thing I'd like to add in my edit is about certain acting nuances of Page - the few scenes when things aren't going "as planned", starting when he tried to escape at the start, and she was banging her head against the wall - to when near the end he's gotten out and she's running to get everything ready to go on the roof, those actions... damn. awesome.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyMcDougal View Post
Too far... take it back!
lolz. Shit, if she did Desperate Housewives I'd watch THAT.

I'd rather shove nails into my eyes than watch it, but she'd be worth it. Fuck, I think I even watched Degrassi once just because of Kevin Smith, when I thought he was too cool for school, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Then you missed the boat.
oooh. Now, what if he was Canadian. That might be considered racist. You know, how Canadians arrived to North America on a boat. You can never be too careful, they might get mighty upset, eh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyMcDougal View Post
If? pshh...Don't be ignorant. They'll strangle that series for all it's worth
Man, they would never do that, or make a spin off of a character that was cool in the comics but they made lame in the movies, like Wolverine or anything.....

oh.




Quote:
Originally Posted by spooky View Post
<rant rant></end rant>
fuck sparkles and rainbows, say something worthwhile.
Dude, sparkes and rainbows. I so want to hear you say that on the show one day, that would fucking rock.

As for everything else, man - I love you, but you can be SO judgemental and "holier than thou". There's a difference between opinion and judgement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooky View Post
if you watch the movie, and dont start off thinking the pedophile should die, then start to feel empathy for him as it progresses, start to doubt yourself, your notions about how guilty he actually is, who the evil person actually is, then you missed the point, and the ending is lost on you.
It doesn't take that to enjoy the movie. One doesn't ALWAYS have to read deeply into things in order to sit back and have fun. Even movies with layers can be enjoyed on the surface. Royal Tennebaums is a great example, and that's why some people will watch it again and again, to see more of what was going on, more of what was happening.

I also think you need to rework what you were saying there, because in the end *I* got lost. If we don't start off thinking he should dye and then feel empathy and then start to doubt ourselves... eh?

Are you TRYING to say:

"If you watch the movie, and immediately think he should die from beginning to end, without ever thinking 'Who is more evil, the pedophile or the person torturing him', then the ending is lost on you"

For me, I was wondering who was more evil at the start, I was wondering if she was excessive, I was thinking "but what did he do to her? how does she KNOW he'll do something", however when she dug into it, and you realize that he IS a peodphile, and has child porn locked away in a safe, my direction was unchanged from that point onward. Like I said before, I wanted to go along with her to make him suffer as much as possible. I kept thinking "Man, that's ALL she's going to do? Really??"

Another thing to ponder about the movie, is the director's extra "focus" on the poster of Donna Mauer being missing. I didn't "get it", but my wife caught onto it right out of the gate.

SO, the fact that after about 30 - 40 minutes I wanted to kill him myself, does that mean I didn't get the point of the movie?

And really, did this need to turn into that kind of thread?

Last edited by andsoitgoes; 02-02-2008 at 10:36 PM.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 12:20 AM   #26 (permalink)
Senior Member
2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,010
It was pretty good. The poster's awesome:
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 02:46 AM   #27 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: GTA Canada
Posts: 9
Take your pick:

The "murdering" pedophile or the crazy 14(?) year old vigilante.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 04:51 AM   #28 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
dubyah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 186
I just finished watching the movie. It was brilliant and I tried not to read into while I watched but I couldn't help but think about a few things. In the beginning, I saw Ellen's character as a young, naive fourteen year old, as a name 'thonggirl' would invoke, and felt bad that she fell into his trap. I thought she seemed like she was playing too easy to get at the coffee shop when she had food on her lips, I knew something was a little off color.

Fast forward a bit and somehow Iím on the pedophile's side, I see Ellen's character as a crazy bitch and can't believe how far she's willing to take things. One line that caught me off guard was 'If all the little girls who had been molested gave me five dollars, I could afford the best fucking lawyer' or something along those lines. This showed me that she felt no remorse for what she was doing, much like a pedophile and their 'sickness.' Thus, I viewed them on the same level. She was no different and no better than him.

At the end, I had mixed emotions. I actually felt bad for his death despite finding out he was involved with Donna's death.

Not sure if that's the 'right' way to view the movie but that's what I got from it. Right or wrong, that was one crazy movie.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 05:11 AM   #29 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
andsoitgoes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,123
[QUOTE=dubyah;351626]
Fast forward a bit and somehow I
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 09:55 AM   #30 (permalink)
Senior Member
2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,010
Keith mentioned The Woodsman, and he was right about some of the stuff he said about the two films. The whole point of them is to either make you see both sides of the story, for you to feel sorry for the molester, and/or to give the audience a new perspective on criminals (and molesters in general). I thought both movies were very interesting. While the main female character was totally batshit crazy (and handled the situation like a novice serial killer), I can't justify disliking her more (compared to the molester). And yes, he was a molester. It's obvious. Even if he didn't do that, he definitely acting inappropriately towards younger girls/women. When it comes to The Woodsman, it's actually even more easy to feel sorry for / empathize with the molester in that one. Neither molester really gets any conclusion though. Little Children is another film that deals with a molester in a suburban community. That's another one where you actually feel sorry for the pervert by the conclusion.

But by the end, all three films basically confirm that molesters can't really change, and/or their lives will be absolutely miserable, and they will continue to make others' lives horrible as well. I love these films because of the character development and their ability to actually make the audience empathize with the criminals, which is something most people wouldn't admit would occur to them in real life.

On an unrelated note, No Country for Old Men has no ending because it's true to the novel (the last page/lines of the novel are the same as the film). I'm not saying films should be that true to their novels (because the audiences may be different), but I appreciate that they didn't change it too much. The entire film was still a good watch and unconventional enough to not be too bothered by the ending.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:12 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
Keith and The GirlAd Management plugin by RedTyger