Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 06-19-2009, 09:30 AM   #1 (permalink)

how much do you 'owe' the RIAA?

Woman illegally downloads 24 songs, fined to tune of $1.9 million - CNN.com

According to this the RIAA bribed a jury to value downloading a single song at $80,000.

I have about 14200 pirated songs in my itunes right now.

I 'owe' the RIAA 1.136 billion dollars

fuck me?... i don't think so, Fuck the RIAA
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 09:45 AM   #2 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoav View Post
Woman illegally downloads 24 songs, fined to tune of $1.9 million - CNN.com

According to this the RIAA bribed a jury to value downloading a single song at $80,000.

I have about 14200 pirated songs in my itunes right now.

I 'owe' the RIAA 1.136 billion dollars

fuck me?... i don't think so, Fuck the RIAA
I don't have any pirated music, but if I did I don't think I'd load it on iTunes or post about it so openly. You might want to read those iTunes T's&C's again.
Old 06-19-2009, 09:55 AM   #3 (permalink)

Nothing, because I'm not a thief.
Old 06-19-2009, 09:56 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
I don't have any pirated music, but if I did I don't think I'd load it on iTunes or post about it so openly. You might want to read those iTunes T's&C's again.
itunes? ipods these days have a 120GB capacity. that's $30,000 to fill it up at the itunes store at 99c/song. apple markets ipods to teenagers. most people, teenagers especially don't spend 30 grand on music. Apple and the ipod is a driving force in the pirating movement.

support the artists, go to shows, buy indie music, but the industry needs to change. the RIAA just sued another lady for 2 million dollars, for what? she's filing an appeal by still they'll get a small amount, she'll file for bankruptcy, her credit will be ruined and they'll sue the next old lady.

If native americans didn't get to keep their beeds, the RIAA doesn't get to keep the rights to intellectual property.
Old 06-19-2009, 10:03 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoav View Post
itunes? ipods these days have a 120GB capacity. that's $30,000 to fill it up at the itunes store at 99c/song. apple markets ipods to teenagers. most people, teenagers especially don't spend 30 grand on music. Apple and the ipod is a driving force in the pirating movement.
You're insane, and I hope someone steals all your shit and blames it on a guy who sold them a warehouse.
Old 06-19-2009, 10:07 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cretaceous Bob View Post
You're insane, and I hope someone steals all your shit and blames it on a guy who sold them a warehouse.
if it was free to make copies of my shit, and people taking those copies made more people aware of my shit and come out to my shows where they pay me money, instead of a record company that gives me virtually nothing then i wish they would.
Old 06-19-2009, 10:15 AM   #7 (permalink)

Nothing, because I'm not a scumbag thief.
Old 06-19-2009, 10:56 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
I will sell a bicycle for $99 and leave it outside in a bad neighborhood. When it gets stolen, the judge will demand that the defendant pay me $7,920,000 in damages. I hope someone steals my shit too, and I don't care if they blame it on Twinkies.

The purpose of the post isn't if downloading music is right, that's a horse that has been sufficiently beaten. The purpose was, is $80,000 a reasonable fine for downloading a $0.99 song.

The only way to justify that, is to prove that her downloading it, allowed others to download it illegally as well, costing the company 80,000 sales. Which lets say it did. She is paying the fine for crimes commited by other people, not just her own. And I see no mention of any of the uploaders she downloaded from being charged as well.

Basically its like watching someone buy a gun, then charging them with the murder of an unknown victim.
Old 06-19-2009, 11:01 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxxedMan View Post

I will sell a bicycle for $99 and leave it outside in a bad neighborhood. When it gets stolen, the judge will demand that the defendant pay me $7,920,000 in damages. I hope someone steals my shit too, and I don't care if they blame it on Twinkies.
Yes, of course the RIAA is getting way too much.

But it's criminals getting fucked, so I don't give a shit.
Old 06-19-2009, 11:59 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Yes, of course the RIAA is getting way too much.

But it's criminals getting fucked, so I don't give a shit.
Actually this is interesting when considered under "Keith's justice".

Clearly the woman knew it was wrong. But since it's so easy and much of society accepts it, did she consider it to be "criminal"? Probably not, she presumably equated it to something minor like littering.

But if she had known beforehand that she would have been fined that much, would she have done it? Possibly.

In any case, the punishment is ridiculously harsh and if it's not overturned or lowered on appeal, your legal system really is fucked.