Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 06-19-2009, 12:18 PM   #11 (permalink)

Thread re-title suggestion: "Who wants to put a big target on their backs for the RIAA?" Horrays.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 12:20 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aptmunich View Post
Actually this is interesting when considered under "Keith's justice".

Clearly the woman knew it was wrong. But since it's so easy and much of society accepts it, did she consider it to be "criminal"? Probably not, she presumably equated it to something minor like littering.

But if she had known beforehand that she would have been fined that much, would she have done it? Possibly.

In any case, the punishment is ridiculously harsh and if it's not overturned or lowered on appeal, your legal system really is fucked.
it depends on if keith decides downloading music is illegal.

also this was her first appeal, she was originally ordered to pay $220,000..
Old 06-19-2009, 12:36 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skizzbot View Post
Thread re-title suggestion: "Who wants to put a big target on their backs for the RIAA?" Horrays.
i'm in canada out of the riaa's jurisdiction, and it's legal here. also they tend to only sue people who don't know what they did was illegal usually someone's grandmother who's grandkid downloaded a couple songs while they were over. i also don't have a babillion dollars, i have about 4 so i don't look like prey to them anyway...

finally posting in a forum doesn't incriminate me, their evidence comes from the riaa sharing music themselves and grabbing the ips of people downloading from them, and then raiding that person's house. they have to find the music files that were downloaded and have the ip and filesharing logs to have a case. which if they did somehow sue me, i believe is entrapment.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:30 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoav View Post
itunes? ipods these days have a 120GB capacity. that's $30,000 to fill it up at the itunes store at 99c/song. apple markets ipods to teenagers. most people, teenagers especially don't spend 30 grand on music. Apple and the ipod is a driving force in the pirating movement.

support the artists, go to shows, buy indie music, but the industry needs to change. the RIAA just sued another lady for 2 million dollars, for what? she's filing an appeal by still they'll get a small amount, she'll file for bankruptcy, her credit will be ruined and they'll sue the next old lady.

If native americans didn't get to keep their beeds, the RIAA doesn't get to keep the rights to intellectual property.
I don't have any illegal music on my computer. I have my own uploaded CDs, and movies that I ripped from my own DVDs, so I can watch them when I am out and about and in the mood for a movie. Ipods are not just for downloading other shit. And when I want a song, I pay for the song.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxxedMan View Post

The purpose of the post isn't if downloading music is right, that's a horse that has been sufficiently beaten. The purpose was, is $80,000 a reasonable fine for downloading a $0.99 song.
What you're reading is the article's writer restating the terms of her judgement in a way that makes sense to the reader. I haven't read the case yet, not sure if I will, but she is fined X dollars for the download penalty, then XX for punitive damages. Punitive damages are meant to punish people who do things maliciously, or continue to do things they know are wrong because they don't care. So yes, that is a reasonable fine.

Quote:
i'm in canada out of the riaa's jurisdiction
Obviously.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:38 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownEyedBtch View Post
I don't have any illegal music on my computer. I have my own uploaded CDs, and movies that I ripped from my own DVDs, so I can watch them when I am out and about and in the mood for a movie.
that used to be illegal :O, making a copy was considered a derivative work.. i think now you're allowed one digital copy for backup purposes ONLY!
unless you mean home movies, in which case it's soon to be illegal
Old 06-19-2009, 02:04 PM   #16 (permalink)
j2x

Quote:
if it was free to make copies of my shit, and people taking those copies made more people aware of my shit and come out to my shows where they pay me money, instead of a record company that gives me virtually nothing then i wish they would.
i agree.
Old 06-19-2009, 02:24 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2x View Post
i agree.
So does Kid Rock

Kid Rock Boycotts iTunes, Champions P2P | Listening Post
Old 06-19-2009, 02:26 PM   #18 (permalink)

Is it illegal if I say hypotheitcally download zipped files with passwords from rapidshare? (I <3 rapidshare)
Old 06-19-2009, 02:33 PM   #19 (permalink)
j2x

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxxedMan View Post
and trent reznor and a whole mess of other indie bands. I support the artist, not the publisher and in this modern age I don't think artists need publishers the same way they did before- but publishers depend on the artists for their revenue.

So I believe by buying a CD or paying for an MP3 you're only paying the system that exists only to make more money for themselves. Like yoav said, if you want to support the artist go to their shows and buy their CDs from their website. That's how modern artists get paid, not the pittance that publishers toss their way.

Publishers need to wake up to the modern digital age and redefine their role in the system because I really don't see their use.

"Necessity is the mother of invention." -Plato

KATG quote of the day: "Keith and his girlfriend discuss life. Sample dialog: "You were just quiet cuz you were so mad that all that alcohol was gone. They claim to dislike Dawn & Drew."" Register Guard Newspaper quoted in episode 4/28/05 (Yeah, I'm starting back at the beginning)
Old 06-19-2009, 02:44 PM   #20 (permalink)

I can't say nothing because I downloaded a bunch of Christmas music on this forum a couple years ago. I also have a few technically-illegal rips of DVDs that I actually already own. I also usually buy used CDs when I buy music and I know that the original purchaser probably ripped himself a copy before selling (supporting the pirating)

I don't download stolen music tracks because my Windows machine is jacked up enough without downloading viruses and spyware via torrents.

Music is really really cheap. It's cheaper than it was 20 years ago. It's kind of a dick move to blatantly steal it. I have less sympathy for hip hop producers because they make a ton of cash with product placements, but they are still definitely getting screwed by illegal downloads.