Keith and The Girl Forums

Keith and The Girl Forums (http://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/index.php)
-   Talk Shite (http://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Interesting News Items (http://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19009)

Keith 12-17-2014 12:43 PM

Interesting News Items

Post all interesting news items here.

sexy_bater 12-21-2014 08:16 PM

At long last, Paul Stanley's Folger's Coffee commercial surfaces.

I know how much you guys like Ace Freeley selling Dunkin, so I thought you might also like this uber-schlocky commercial that Paul Stanley did for Folgers.

At long last, Paul Stanley?s ridiculous Folgers coffee commercial surfaces | Dangerous Minds

Keith 12-21-2014 09:06 PM

That robbed me of my virgin soul.

Paraquat 12-23-2014 09:05 PM

Talk about a nightmare before Christmas

An Ohio homeowner was ordered by town officials to remove a Nativity scene in front of his house that featured zombies instead of wise men and a baby Jesus.

http://a57.foxnews.com/global.fncsta....jpg?ve=1&tl=1

"I wanted a Nativity and I worked with what I had," Jasen Dixon, who manages a nearby haunted house, told Fox 19. "The neighbors don't like it. My father hates it and anything bad that happens he blames it on that."

The Nativity scene features life-size figures and a zombie baby Jesus, with pale skin and pure white eyes. At night, the figures are illuminated by red and green lights.

"I didn't really pay it any attention until the different color lights came on, then finally the baby was put in the manger," Dan Fluker, a neighbor, told the station.

According to documents obtained by Fox 19, Sycamore Township, which is outside Cincinnati, does not allow structures to be located in the front or the side yard to occupy more than 35 percent of the area. Also, the primary structure must be 3 feet from the street, and 6 feet from the house.

Dixon, who manages 13 Rooms of Doom, says this is his second violation since the exhibit was put up. He indicated that his First Amendment right is being infringed upon due to the religious element.

"I've lived here for 15 years and I've never had a violation of any kind," Dixon said. "It's a holiday decoration. I know if it was a real pretty Nativity scene they wouldn't be saying anything."

Dixon, who said about 40 people take photographs of what he calls "the world’s first zombie Nativity scene," has until Dec. 26 to take down the scene. If he does not take down the exhibit, legal action will be taken.

It is unclear if Dixon will fight the town, but when one person on his Facebook page urged him to keep the display up, he responded, "Dangers my middle name."

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/12/23...ativity-scene/

DJ Trashy 12-24-2014 08:31 AM

fuck this

Paraquat 12-26-2014 10:43 PM

Dustin Diamond, Who Played Screech in 90s Sitcom, Arrested in Stabbing

The actor best known for playing the character Screech in the '90s sitcom "Saved by the Bell" was arrested Thursday on charges that he stabbed a man with a knife during a fight at a Wisconsin bar, police said.

Dustin Diamond, 37, appeared in court Friday on a charge of second-degree recklessly endangering safety, a felony, as well as misdemeanor charges of carrying a concealed weapon and disorderly conduct, and a judge set his bail at $10,000, according to court records.

Police said Diamond stabbed a man during an altercation at the Grand Avenue Saloon in Port Washington at around 11:15 p.m., and then he and his fiancée fled in a white sport-utility vehicle. Diamond and his fiancée, Amanda Schultz, were taken into custody a short time later, and police said they found a folding knife with a 3.75-inch blade inside the vehicle with what appeared to be blood on it.

The victim suffered a stab wound to his right armpit, but police said the wound was not life threatening and he was recovering at home Friday.

When police caught up to the SUV, Diamond initially told the officer he had a "pen" in his hand but later admitted it was a knife, according to the criminal complaint. Diamond, who lives in Port Washington, told the officer he accidentally stabbed the man while trying to protect Schultz during a heated confrontation at the bar, according to the complaint. Other witnesses told police the fight broke out after Diamond's fiancée got upset over people taking pictures, the complaint said.

Diamond's agent, Roger Paul, declined to comment. A person who picked up the phone at the Grand Avenue Saloon said Diamond is not a regular at the bar. Schultz, 27, was charged with disorderly conduct.

— Phil Helsel

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/crime-co...abbing-n275306

Enunciated Piffle 01-04-2015 11:36 AM

Duff: Suing Labels for $: How Labels Could've Avoided Piracy

Duff Mckagan Says Guns N' Roses Toured For Two Years In Support Of 'Use Your Illusion' Just To Break Even - Blabbermouth.net

Duff: "..In 1994, I'd just gotten sober and I was kind of figuring some stuff out. And our lawyer said, 'We're gonna audit Geffen,' audit our record company. Before that, I lived in this sort of fantasy world that they were our partner in this thing. Well, they didn't pay us on something like six million records. Six million records! And they said, 'Okay, fine. We'll pay you for two. Or you can sue us.' This is our record company."

'You can sue us for the rest, but it's gonna cost you. We have lawyers on staff.' So you do an audit settlement. So you settle for about a third of what's owed you. And we've done now an audit every three years."

Duff goes on to say that record labels could have avoided online piracy. This is interesting because he's referring to Napster, (the first big file-sharing site) one that set a huge precedent for music/ album sales/ band tours: pretty much the entire world of music - as we know it today.

Duff: "Napster, in 1997, said, 'We didn't invent the computer or digital music. We didn't invent this. It's out there. We have this central site where you can get all the music.' They were talking to the four major labels. The labels were trying to sue 'em, sue Napster. And Napster was going, 'You guys, it's already out there. So we're getting all this revenue from ads. Here's what we propose: Just give us all your music. We'll share in all this hundreds of millions of dollars of ad revenue that we're getting, and we can probably get that huger now that we're all together and you can pay your artists. It's a win-win.'

And the labels, in '97, basically buried their heads in the sand and said, 'We're gonna sue you and take you out.' And Napster, the whole time, was going, 'I didn't invent this. It's still out there. If it's not me, it's gonna be somebody else.' And he was right."

SO. When you think about what killed the music industry: it really was greed. Greedy record labels charging $5.95 for a single song on tape cassette, (back in 1989-90) and later $16.99 for compact disc album. Meanwhile they aren't even disclosing actual real profits to artists!

Now we're seeing more and more bands do their own recording. More bands releasing material via websites like Bandcamp. I dont' know if capitalism killed music industry. It kinda feels like it got exploited and is now in the self-correcting phase.

Lanfear 01-05-2015 02:32 AM

A Brilliant Idiot: Woman Shot by Two Year Old Was a Nuclear Scientist

Quote:

Outside of the US, virtually no one understands the pathological obsession with owning and shooting guns. In the UK where I am from, anyone who felt the need to carry a gun to their local store while looking after several very small children would be taken immediately to prison and given a very thorough psychiatric evaluation. This would of course be seen as the Big Bad Nanny State interfering with your God Given Freedom in America, but it is worth bearing in mind that had a sensible legal system been in place that prevented this type of stupidity, Veronica Rutledge would still be alive and her child would not be irreparably traumatized from killing his own mother.
Why did Rutledge take a gun to Walmart with her child and nieces? What exactly was the purpose? To defend herself from hidden assassins in the fruit and veg department? To defeat the terrorists in Walmart before they defeated her at home? While a huge amount of sympathy should go out to the family and those affected by the tragedy, it is difficult to feel too sorry for someone so reckless and stupid that they would leave a purse with a lethal weapon unattended around a two year old. Rutledge literally lived by the gun, and died by it – a fate every weapon wielding American needs to come to terms with. If you carry equipment designed with the sole purpose of killing, there’s a good chance it will actually kill someone.
Read more at A Brilliant Idiot: Woman Shot by Two Year Old Was a Nuclear Scientist | The Daily Banter

Paraquat 01-05-2015 07:36 AM

In the same UK where people run around beheading each other?

Lanfear 01-05-2015 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paraquat (Post 836826)
In the same UK where people run around beheading each other?

So you don't want to talk about why a baby just tragically shot his mother?

Ok let's look at overall murder rates with whatever weapon then - wiki to the rescue:

Count is total and rate per 100,000 population per year
Intentional homicide, as defined by UNODC, is "unlawful death purposefully inflicted on a person by another person".
So I assume this excludes all your recent cop killings as these were 'lawful'

Country / Rate / Count / Year listed

United Kingdom / 1.0 / 653 / 2011
United States / 4.7 / 14,827 / 2012

Paraquat 01-05-2015 08:12 AM

I just find the "assassin in the fruit and vegetable" to be a bit biased. It's an opinion that doesn't add anything worthwhile to the article.

Lanfear 01-05-2015 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paraquat (Post 836829)
I just find the "assassin in the fruit and vegetable" to be a bit biased. It's an opinion that doesn't add anything worthwhile to the article.

Well I did pick the article that seemed a little more comedy podcast worthy in its wording and not the New York Times one.

Paraquat 01-05-2015 08:32 AM

Fair enough.
For the record: it's inexcusable, I agree.

loucah 01-05-2015 05:20 PM

Marriage equality referendum in Ireland

Awful Flyer Warns Against Making Children Hear 'Sounds Of Sodomy'

lizsquiz 01-06-2015 05:32 AM

The first episode of the new Celebrity Apprentice looked a whole lot different than it might have before all the Cosby stuff came to light:

Keshia Knight Pulliam kicked off Celebrity Apprentice for refusing to call Bill Cosby

Last night saw the dismissal of Cosby Show star Keshia Knight Pulliam from Celebrity Apprentice, television’s most important representation of finance since Rudy pretended to be a mean old woman to teach Theo that he’ll never make it as a fashion model. Just as it did for Theo, the real world made an unwelcome intrusion on Donald Trump’s reality series when, during the premiere’s requisite segment of celebrity panhandling, Pulliam refused to reach out to her former TV dad to ask for money. Then everyone set to badgering this woman why she wouldn’t do everything to prostrate herself before Bill Cosby, so that he could use his power to help her get ahead. Then she was fired.

As Vulture notes, the episode was filmed around a year ago, many months before any mention of Bill Cosby’s name required the addendum of “multiple rape allegations” (but still, many years after those allegations first surfaced). At the time, the producers of Celebrity Apprentice—and certainly not NBC—had no idea that Pulliam’s Cosby connection would prove awkward, outside of the usual melancholy of watching adults trading on their former child star fame and competing to impress Donald Trump. But even the embarrassment of being a grown-up who’s forced to hold a bake sale for Trump’s amusement couldn’t compare to the way Cosby hung like a specter over this climactic scene in the boardroom, where Trump, his daughter Ivanka, Piers Morgan, and her teammates berate Pulliam for not calling in his favor.

“I have not talked to Bill Cosby on the phone in I don’t know how long,” Pulliam said in her defense. “So for me to pick up the phone, having not talked to you for five years, except for when we run into each other for a Cosby event—I feel that’s not my place to do.”

Pulliam’s response was met with resounding disappointment from both Donald Trump and Piers Morgan, who reminded Pulliam that the key to being a successful business manager is making use of all your rich friends, and forcing them to invest in your bullshit. “Geraldo [Rivera] did it in the sure knowledge he had a couple of billionaires coming down to buy his pies,” Piers Morgan said, in an early contender for the worst sentence of 2015.

Trump agreed, saying that Pulliam’s failure to make that “single phone call” to Cosby was what directly led to her team’s loss. “I really believe, if you’d called that gentleman, he would’ve helped you, even if you hadn’t spoken to him in years, because you were an amazing team with one of the most successful shows ever,” Trump said. “So I think it would’ve been a very good call to make for charity. But you have to take responsibility. I think you agree with that.”

Of course, as the accusations against Cosby have intensified, some have decided that he isn’t such a good call to make for charity—for example, Berklee College Of Music and Spelman College, who have suspended scholarships and endowed professorships in his name. Nevertheless, this morning Trump responded to critics who found the whole thing incredibly uncomfortable—and who also wondered why he hadn’t edited the footage, considering everything that’s happened in the past few months. Trump insisted that, these decades-old “revelations” aside, when it comes to charity bake sales, Cosby still is great. He still could give us the chocolate cake.

Meanwhile, Pulliam herself appeared in her own Apprentice post-mortem on this morning’s Today show, where she reiterated that she didn’t call Cosby because she felt it would be “tactless” and “very rude”—and not for the reasons that most people don’t call Bill Cosby these days. In fact, she more or less declined to discuss those allegations at all, saying, “Ultimately, they’re that, allegations. And it’s very much been played out in the court of public opinion. But, you know, we’re still in America where ultimately you’re innocent ’til proven guilty and, you know, I wasn’t there. That’s just not the man I know so I can’t speak to it.”

Of course, that court of public opinion now gets to open its doors to discussion of Celebrity Apprentice, which is suddenly garnering headlines today thanks to Trump’s decision to repeatedly invoke Bill Cosby’s name—a man he publicly feuded with, while calling him stupid and two-faced, just a few short years ago—as a “tremendous man” in the episode. In that, it’s all eerily reminiscent of a letter Trump wrote in the midst of that Cosby feud, where he said, “Sadly, he got more attention talking about me than he did on the merits of his own appearance—maybe he is not as dumb as I thought.” Yeah. Maybe Trump isn’t either.

Paraquat 01-08-2015 01:24 PM

I'll try not to spend it all in one place.

Paraquat 01-12-2015 11:36 PM

https://iq.intel.com/files/2015/01/S...7_smallweb.jpg

3d printed dress with sensors.

Quote:

Using wireless biometric signals, the system makes inferences based on the stress levels in your body. It can differentiate between 12 states of behavior. Wipprecht calls it an interesting interplay between co-control and education of your own body and mind.

Enunciated Piffle 01-13-2015 12:23 AM

Lanfear 01-13-2015 06:59 AM

Ultra-Orthodox Jewish Newspaper Edits Female World Leaders Out of Charlie Hebdo March

Publisher edits Israel off the map, Israel newspaper edits female politicians out of Charlie Hebdo memorial march photo in Paris ...

Some people really never leave the 'If I close my eyes you can't see me' baby logic phase

Ultra-Orthodox Jewish Newspaper Edits Female World Leaders Out of Charlie Hebdo March | Mediaite

iheartnihilism 01-14-2015 09:06 PM

So everyone on the internet thinks this is a new thing:
Ship Your Enemies Glitter

Old school KATG fans know better.

lithunica 01-19-2015 01:07 PM

Getting charged for not attending a party

BBC News - Party invoice: Boy sent bill for birthday no-show

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/image...38e157e63f.jpg

theycallmepyro 01-21-2015 07:59 AM

Wife stops wearing yoga pants because her husband says it's hard to not to stare "lustfully" at women who do wear them.

Addicting Info ? Christian Mother Bans ?Lustful? Leggings From Wardrobe, Says They Dishonor God, Husband

andywebs 01-21-2015 02:31 PM

So apparently KISS released a new music video with some K-pop (J-pop?) group?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivJZljEostE#t=140

ZeroOne 01-22-2015 12:42 AM

Secret Test Tunnel in Somerset, PA

"Over in Somerset, the closest town to Ganassi's tunnel, I found that almost everyone knew about it, but free talk was impossible to come by. Knowledge of my presence spread through town; by late afternoon, when I arrived at Stoy Excavating, the company that I'd been told constructed the tunnel, the secretary asked me if I was that reporter asking about the tunnel. Yeah, it's a small town."

The secret racing test tunnel no one wants to talk about

whatotherway 01-23-2015 09:57 AM

The new Captain America!

BBC News - The Sikh Captain America fights racial stereotypes

Comes complete with a film!

Red White and Beard

xwvp13 01-24-2015 05:03 PM

The new way that people are fighting ISIS

Japan fights back at Jihadi John with MEMES | Daily Mail Online

Paraquat 01-24-2015 05:13 PM

That'll hurt their feelings!

OnmyojiOmn 01-25-2015 02:50 PM

Crippling, 'potentially historic' blizzard headed for New York, Boston

"Potentially historic" blizzard heading for NYC and Boston, 2 feet of snow between Monday night and Wednesday morning. Great timing.

Paraquat 01-25-2015 05:39 PM

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15...f7d6ca805e.jpg

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15...407ac34532.jpg

Doomed!

Pier777 01-29-2015 08:13 AM

http://tinyurl.com/mn89cjp

Wait. There's men that wants to marry men and women marrying other women? This is INSANE!! This is the end. How could anyone go to the market to pick up a bag of bonbons? It's gonna be CHAOS out there! You know when we get an eclipse, when the moon keeps on missing the sun? Well next time we won't be so lucky. YOU HEAR ME?! THE MOON'S GONNA HIT THE SUN!! HELL IN A HANDSBASKET I SAY!!

GODSAVEUSHAVEMERCYONOURSOULSJKGHDFSAKFDHDKF!

theycallmepyro 01-29-2015 03:53 PM

Tom Petty wishes "Peace and Love" to Sam Smith over song plagiarism.

Tom Petty releases pretty chill statement about the Sam Smith controversy · Newswire · The A.V. Club

lithunica 01-30-2015 10:43 AM

David Vanzo Took His Dead Mother To Bank To Take Cash From Her Account
In his defence He already looks like a lovable villan from Weekend at Berneys III (Fingers crossed)
http://www.dreamindemon.com/wp-conte...zo-125x188.jpg

lithunica 01-30-2015 10:58 AM

Man cheats on wife with goat

Man cheats on wife with goat
http://infossip.com/wp-content/uploa...-with-goat.jpg
http://infossip.com/wp-content/uploa...xual-abuse.jpg

I blame video games and over sexualization of goats

http://www.gamesbase24.com/wp-conten...steam-game.jpg

Paraquat 01-30-2015 04:27 PM

In all fairness I need to see a picture of his wife.

Paraquat 01-30-2015 05:17 PM

He IS sweating getting his mug shot taken.

Paraquat 02-02-2015 04:03 PM

Airline workers kill time by drawing a giant dick next to one of their planes.

Ryanair thinks planes look like winged wieners.

http://cdn.someecards.com/someecards...wd3184362a.jpg

The now-deleted tweet that took off like one of Ryanair's flying dicks.
(via The Telegraph)
The low-budget Irish airline Ryanair is known for cheeky PR stunts, but this viral image of a phallus etched into the tarmac next to a plane at Dublin Airport by its workers apparently wasn't orchestrated by management. The image was spread on social media after a certain Brendan Keary posted it on Twitter, although he has since deleted the Tweet and admitted he himself found it from someone else on Facebook. Wherever it was originally from, it caused enough of a stir that a Ryanair spokesperson was forced to comment on it, saying:

Quote:

While our ground crew excel at industry leading 25-minute turnarounds, art isn't their forte, as they've clearly forgotten to draw wings on their snow airplane.
Much like their flights, Ryanair can apparently get a lot of mileage out of a potential public relations flap without spending very much money.

Hard at work.
If you look closely, you can see that the penis was drawn with someone's feet—they dragged one along, but you can see the other footsteps outside the outline of the penis. The parts with no footsteps happened when Jesus was drawing it.

http://happyplace.someecards.com/pub...snow-airplane/

Lanfear 02-03-2015 12:03 PM

Plastic surgery is a 'burqa made of flesh', says Vatican document

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-10015749.html

Quote:

Women who undergo plastic surgery are wearing a "burqa made of flesh", according to a Vatican document which also warns that cosmetic procedures "amputate" human expression from the face.

The discussion paper, produced by a panel of female consultants to the Pontifical Council for Culture in advance of a meeting in Rome this week, argues that plastic surgery is "aggressive" towards the feminine identity and can be linked to eating disorders and depression.
I wouldn't even necessarily disagree with the general sentiment but hahjeeez Vatican that wording ...

lizsquiz 02-05-2015 09:43 PM

Police: 6-year-old boy 'kidnapped' for being too nice to strangers

(CNN)A 6-year-old boy in Missouri endured an emotional four-hour staged kidnapping because his family thought he was being too nice to people he didn't know, police said Thursday.

The four people involved in the alleged plot -- the boy's mother, grandmother, aunt and a co-worker of the aunt -- have been charged with kidnapping and other felonies, the Lincoln County Sheriff's Office said.

"Family members told investigators their primary intent was to educate the victim and felt they did nothing wrong," the press release said.

During his reported ordeal the boy was lured into a pickup after getting off his school bus, tied up, threatened with a gun, taken to a basement where his pants were removed, and told he could be sold into sex slavery, police said.

The boy was told in the truck by Nathan Wynn Firoved, the aunt's co-worker, that he would never "see his mommy again," and he would be "nailed to the wall of a shed," the sheriff's statement said.

"The victim remained in the basement for some time before he was unbound and told to go upstairs, where the victim's family lectured him about stranger danger," the statement said.

The suspects kept each other updated throughout the incident on cell phones, police said.

The boy's mother, Elizabeth Hupp of Troy, is charged with felony kidnapping and felony abuse and neglect of a child. The grandmother, Rose Brewer; the aunt, Denise Kroutil; and Firoved are also charged with felonious restraint.

The boy was placed into protective custody after he told school officials Wednesday what had happened to him.

CNN has been trying to track down lawyers for the accused, but has been unable to locate information on the attorneys.

OnmyojiOmn 02-09-2015 06:13 PM

Charles Manson wedding off after it emerges that fiancee Afton Elaine Burton 'just wanted his corpse for display' - People - News - The Independent

Apparently it was just a con.

Keith 02-10-2015 01:09 AM

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?!

Now seriously, real news from now on.