Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 02-16-2010, 01:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

KATG amazon.com/de referral link

Hey
A few day ago I sent a mail regarding this matter to info@keithandthegirl but I didn't get an answer yet. It's probably not worth their time, but maybe you can help me out: The /book-page has a link which leads you directly to the amazon.com page, where the book is being sold. On a recent show Keith & Chemda mentioned that they get some of the money when the book is purchased through that link (which is a referral link). Now two questiones come to my mind:
1) If you buy anything else through that link, do K&C also get a cut of the revenue (I guess so but I once read something about two different affiliate systems and with one of them you only got the money for the product you linked directly)?
2) I live in germany and cannot purchase anything from the american amazon store. Yet by changing the .com in the referral link to .de, you also land on the page where the book is being sold, only in the german amazon store. Does the referral code still work (do K&C still get some money when I purchase something through their referal code)?

I think they should advertise the amazon referral link a bit more. It doesn't cost the consumer anything and K&C get more money.

And who on the forums could I trust with an amazon.com coupon to purchase a couple of "What do we do now?" books? I don't want them to be shipped to me but I'd like to support K&C. Whoever buys the books for me can do with them whatever he/she wants.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 02:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Are you sure you cant purchase stuff from the american amazon store. I've been buying stuff from them for ages, they actually work better than the british one. You just have to make a new account with your address, crdit card, etc.

The main point for K and C, anyway, is pre-ordering the book from any american store (i dont get why only american sales count, but whatever), so Barnes and nobles or borders should work as well.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

I don't have a credit card (they are not really popular in germany and I am a poor student). If I had one I'd probably buy the book myself but with the coupon I intend to give away someone could buy way more books than I would've bought.

On a side note: Are there actually shipping costs for books inside the USA? In Germany no online shop demands any shipping costs for books, no matter what the book costs (it might even be a law).
Old 02-16-2010, 02:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Yeah, shipping is pretty much everywhere. If i order a book inside Itsly, i'll probably a pretty huge shipping usually. That's why i rather buy books on sites like amazon or abebooks, their shipping is quite low compared to the norm.

If you have a coupon, though, that should work in order to get the copies.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:32 PM   #5 (permalink)

I tried to sign up to amazon.com a while ago but failed due to not owning a credit card. Besides I really don't need the book, let alone more than one copy of the book.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by p0mbaer View Post
I don't have a credit card (they are not really popular in germany and I am a poor student). If I had one I'd probably buy the book myself but with the coupon I intend to give away someone could buy way more books than I would've bought.

On a side note: Are there actually shipping costs for books inside the USA? In Germany no online shop demands any shipping costs for books, no matter what the book costs (it might even be a law).
Not sure what you mean by a coupon, but I'm planning on buying a couple of extra copies to donate to the library. Is this coupon for a percentage off an order and would it apply to this type of pre-order? If so, I'd gladly take it and use it for this.

Shipping in the USA depends on where you order from and how much you order. For example, the KATG book qualifies for Free Super Saver shipping from amazon if you spend more than $25 (so 3 copies at the pre-order price will get you free shipping in the US).
Old 02-16-2010, 02:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

It's a $50 coupon, no strings attached.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:45 AM   #8 (permalink)

- No the amazon affiliate program requires you to sign up for each site separately at the moment, so KATG would need to provide a different code/link for amazon DE/US.

- Amazon used to charge shipping for books in germany as well. It was only orders over €20 that were free. They changed this sometime in 2004: Amazon: Keine Versandkosten mehr auf Bücher - PC-WELT

- Just get a credit card. It's like a debit card in germany anyway, but it makes shopping online a lot easier.
Old 02-17-2010, 02:07 AM   #9 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aptmunich View Post

- Just get a credit card. It's like a debit card in germany anyway, but it makes shopping online a lot easier.
Exactly my Visa is essentially a debit card and I didn't even have to pay fees while I was a student.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:50 AM   #10 (permalink)

A debit card sounds interesting and it seems that I could get that for free indeed.

@aptmunich: Thanks for the information.