Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 07-07-2009, 06:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

KATG iPhone App Take 3

I have been working on this with help from several exceptional forum members and it is nearly complete. This is my first project using objective-c, it is a shoutcast app that will play the live show and give you access to show material (events, past shows, twitter).

This app is in for review with apple, it's been slow going so I'm not sure when it will make it to the store.

This project is being coded under the GPLv3 OSS license. All of the code is hosted at github under the project name katgiphoneapp.

Picard, mapes, subsonix, and myself have been behind the UI Design so far.

What I'm working on right now:
Stability and speed. Improving overall appearance.

Core location has been suggested, which is fun but I'd have to figure out a way to make it useful and easy for stuff like meetups.

Push notification is supported, expect updates on live show times, etc.

Getting the app:
Until the app goes live I can send betas to people ad hoc.
Just send me you UDID and I'll add you. At some point I'll stop taking testers so get on it if you're interested. It is very important that you be patient, adding people to the beta takes time and I like to let a few people build up so I don't have to be constantly fiddling with provisioning. Once you've sent my your UDID I will let you know when you've been added, don't send me emails or tweets or PMs about "AM I ADDED YET" because I will not answer them and I will probably not add you to the beta.

Getting your UDID:

Click on "Serial Number" under iTunes (iPhone main screen)

or install this app:
iTunes Store

Installing App:
Download http://katgapp.com/07-16-09-KATG.com.zip
(this link will do you no good if you're not in the beta)

Download http://katgapp.com/07-10-09-DEVKATG.com.zip
(This is a version that streams smooth jazz, so you can test and hate fuck your ears)

if you're on the mac you'll get an app icon with a strike though and a file called Prov_Profile_Ad_Hoc.mobileprovision

if you're on windows you'll probably get a folder inside a folder, something like this (if you don't have show show extensions of known file types turned on you could get tripped up because KATG.com.app.zip and KATG.com.app will look the same):
  • 07-16-09-KATG.com.zip
    • _MACOSX
    • KATG_AdHoc_Profile.mobileprovision <-----Sync This
    • KATG.com.app.zip
      • _MACOSX
      • KATG.com.app <----- And This

You drag KATG.com.app and Prov_Profile_Ad_Hoc.mobileprovision onto your itunes library and sync your phone.

You can also try out the iPhone Configuration Utility to get the app on your phone, which many people find more reliable

mac - iPhone Configuration Utility 1.1 for Mac OS X
windows - iPhone Configuration Utility 1.1 for Windows

In case you were wondering I've sunk a ton of time and about a hundred and fifty bucks into my dev account, books and project hosting. I talked to Keith and he said it would be ok for me to throw a button on here if people want to kick in a couple bucks to offset my cost. This is absolutely optional. You owe me nothing. But if you like the app and want to contribute you can do that. Also don't forget LondonAsh, TheGrundle, and Picard102. I guess you could also contribute to MichaelApproved but that seems silly since he's a double babillionaire.

Pledgie: Donate to katgiphone

Contact me via PM, email: jerkwithaphone at yahoo dot com, twitter: @hayroob, or yelling really really loud (I have very good hearing)

An Example of an install on a windows machine:

Here's how to check that your provisioning profile is correctly installed:

Last edited by hayroob; 07-16-2009 at 03:02 PM.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 06:45 AM   #2 (permalink)

holy shit I dunno what I did, but it worked. fuck ya. awesome job!
Old 07-08-2009, 06:55 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter_chick View Post
holy shit I dunno what I did, but it worked. fuck ya. awesome job!
nice
Old 07-08-2009, 12:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

Last edited by outlaw; 02-15-2014 at 09:13 AM.
Old 07-08-2009, 02:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

I slowly followed the guide, and still got this error:

I just started getting that logo for the app in itunes now too so I thought it would work. This has to be my computer now, I'm running Vista Home Premium 32 bit. Is anyone else having this problem with this OS?

I'll be trying for sure on a mac today, and I'll let you guys know.

EDIT: I'm using a 32GB 3GS also.

EDIT 2: I messed up w/ my UDID. No problems at all now.

Last edited by Sean7341; 07-09-2009 at 12:20 AM.
Old 07-08-2009, 02:50 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean7341 View Post
I slowly followed the guide, and still got this error:

I just started getting that logo for the app in itunes now too so I thought it would work. This has to be my computer now, I'm running Vista Home Premium 32 bit. Is anyone else having this problem with this OS?

I'll be trying for sure on a mac today, and I'll let you guys know.

EDIT: I'm using a 32GB 3GS also.
FFC is on a vista 32 bit machine and it worked for her.

Have you tried syncing your phone numbers and other important stuff to outlook or google and then restore and set up as a new phone?

EDIT: Sean worked it out, he sent me the wrong UDID.

Last edited by hayroob; 07-08-2009 at 03:41 PM.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:02 PM   #7 (permalink)

Just a minor note (and I may still have the older build, so forgive me if you had sorted this):

Does the keyboard slide out of view when you hit submit in the feedback view? I just tried it and it didn't seem to for me (2G 3.0). I didn't want to try it too often and spam k&c too much as they're just setting up the show.

I also had the audio cut out a few times, but that might just have been the feed or my wifi connection, so I doubt it's performance related on your end.

Keith's constructive criticism of my song: "We tried to let your voice go, but that was fucking ridiculous" - 341: Baby's first abortion.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:19 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aptmunich View Post
Just a minor note (and I may still have the older build, so forgive me if you had sorted this):

Does the keyboard slide out of view when you hit submit in the feedback view? I just tried it and it didn't seem to for me (2G 3.0). I didn't want to try it too often and spam k&c too much as they're just setting up the show.

I also had the audio cut out a few times, but that might just have been the feed or my wifi connection, so I doubt it's performance related on your end.
It goes away if you click outside of the box. I like to leave it up so I can send in my hilarious observations on life. They're funny because they are true.

The skipping thing is hard to avoid. If you're connection dips below the 150k ish it stutters. It is also very sensitive to latency so if you are bittorenting or if you're in a 3G area where the latency spikes (which happens if a lot people pile up on a single cell site.)

I can make the buffer bigger but then it'll be even further from real time and it's already well over 90 seconds.

I have found some preferences and push bugs today and yesterday and I think I am going to pull the binary thats in for review and fix these bugs before resubmitting.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:22 PM   #9 (permalink)

You may as well leave the current version up until you have fixed everything and see if there are any other BS reasons that they want to reject you for...
Old 07-08-2009, 05:24 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypercrypt View Post
You may as well leave the current version up until you have fixed everything and see if there are any other BS reasons that they want to reject you for...
That is true. I can leave to test what the preferences bundle does to satiate their hate of using bandwidth.