Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Like Tree16Likes

Old 07-31-2014, 09:36 AM   #11 (permalink)

I think if y'all knew how a microwave worked, you'd feel silly for always trying to avoid them. Excuse me while I put on my lab coat.

So, all matter in the universe is constantly moving. This is true even down to the molecular level, where all like molecules vibrate at the same speed, or frequency. So sodium molecules all vibrate at the same frequency, all ozone molecules vibrate at the same frequency, all water molecules, etc. Now, have you ever noticed how some, uh, scientists like to modify the stereo systems in their science-mobiles so that they produce an obscene amount of bass? And every now and then, there will be a particular bass note that really rattles the shit out of the whole science-mobile? That's because all vibrating molecules also have a corresponding resonant frequency, which is a frequency that causes certain molecules to get really agitated and move around faster. A similar thing happens when you play multiple music notes together to form a chord.

The resonant frequency for water molecules is 2.4 gHz. When you blast water with a 2.4 gHz radio wave, the molecules start moving and in a liquid the individual molecules are actually close to bump into each other, which produces friction. This is how a microwave cooks, by essentially boiling all the water in your food at the molecular level by filling a box with 2.4 ghz waves. That's why sometimes when you microwave something for too long, it's get dry and hard because all or most of the water has been boiled away.

Your wireless routers also broadcast in the 2.4 gHz, which is why you're not supposed to use them in the same area. That also means that if you want to avoid "microwaves," you're probably going to have to avoid civilization altogether.

Now, 2.4 gHz is equal to 2,400,000,000 Hz. That sounds like a huge wave, right? Well, IT IS! It's so big that they can't pass through the holes in the shielding of the microwave door. The shielding isn't 100% perfect, but you can press your face against the door while the microwave is going at full blast and you'll only be exposed to a fraction of a fraction of the radio waves coming out of your phone and computer. You'll be fine. I beseech you: enjoy your microwave.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 07:35 PM   #12 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Pregnant women can use micrwave ovens, and to suggest they can't is duuuuh!

But

Don't microwave plastic then eat your lunch. The plastics leech harmful toxins into your food.

Don't heat up baby formula or baby food in the microwave, micowaves create heat pockets that can seriously burn a babys mouth.
MichaelApproved likes this.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:05 PM   #13 (permalink)

Nah, still not good enough. When i worked in daycare we didnt heat up baby food in the microwave because it would over heat the food.

Kids (over say 12 months) is fine, but babies, too sensitive.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:06 PM   #14 (permalink)

Just a suggestion,

10 years of daycare teaches you a few tricks