Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 09-10-2012, 11:33 AM   #1 (permalink)

P.O.D. is a Christian band? *shocked face* =O

I found it pretty amusing that Keith and Chemda didn't know P.O.D. is a Christian band. I guess they don't batter you over the head with it, but they have used the symbol of the Holy Trinity as their band logo for the last 15 years or whatever.

I haven't really listened to them in almost 10 years... If I listen to Christian music it's usually something like:

Zao A Fall Farewell - YouTube

Living Sacrifice - Enthroned '98 - YouTube

Hopesfall- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oA5b2Menofs

Thrash Synergy - Extol - YouTube

Last edited by XrabbitX; 09-10-2012 at 11:59 AM.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

It's not surprising when you consider how few Christian bands have mainstream success.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

Stryper?!?!?! ^_^
Old 09-13-2012, 06:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of the Cock Rings View Post
OK, so you're up to 2 out of hundreds. Hardly a refutation of the point.

Creed is also a christian band.

Not saying that makes it a large number but at least 3 i guess.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:52 AM   #5 (permalink)

i wouldn't count creed lol
Old 09-15-2012, 12:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XrabbitX View Post
i wouldn't count creed lol
So your example is still limited to one band 30 years ago.
Old 09-15-2012, 12:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

I hope you realize I was being sarcastic.

But if you want to really talk about Christian musicians there are plenty of modern examples of good ones: i.e. the drummer of Coalesce, the singers and All Out War, and Earth Crisis all come to mind. ZAO was pretty successful before all their member swaps.

Entire Christian bands are probably less common, although Sixpence None the Richer and mewithoutyou also come to mind.

I don't really follow music any more (b/c I can't afford to), or especially care what artists believe in what, so maybe there are better examples.

My point was that P.O.D. is pretty overt with their religion. I remember seeing them play at Ozz-fest several years ago in front of a 50 ft picture of Christ, and on top of that all the symbols they have in their artwork and their lyrics etc. If someone doesn't know they are a Christian band they just aren't paying attention.

Listen to this once and see if it is hard to figure out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyVm6Kt-dds

The relative success of other Christian bands is completely arbitrary to whether or not it should be a surprise P.O.D. is Christian or not.

Last edited by XrabbitX; 09-15-2012 at 07:37 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:26 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XrabbitX View Post
I hope you realize I was being sarcastic.

But if you want to really talk about Christian musicians there are plenty of modern examples of good ones: i.e. the drummer of Coalesce, the singers and All Out War, and Earth Crisis all come to mind. ZAO was pretty successful before all their member swaps.

Entire Christian bands are probably less common, although Sixpence None the Richer and mewithoutyou also come to mind.

I don't really follow music any more (b/c I can't afford to), or especially care what artists believe in what, so maybe there are better examples.

My point was that P.O.D. is pretty overt with their religion. I remember seeing them play at Ozz-fest several years ago in front of a 50 ft picture of Christ, and on top of that all the symbols they have in their artwork and their lyrics etc. If someone doesn't know they are a Christian band they just aren't paying attention.

Listen to this once and see if it is hard to figure out: P.O.D.- Preach - YouTube

The relative success of other Christian bands is completely arbitrary to whether or not it should be a surprise P.O.D. is Christian or not.
Of all of the groups you mentioned here, Sixpence None the Richer is the only one I have heard of, and that's because of those teen movies. Their only two mainstream hits were covers of old tunes, neither of which were Christian tunes.

I define "Christian" bands as those whose lyrics mainly celebrate the word of god, their commitment to their Christian faith, or such similar themes. This is the same definition I would use to define "hate music" groups - lyrics that promote one race or group, while promoting bigotry and hatred toward certain other groups. Christian music and other specifically themed groups do not typically appear in popular mainstream music stations because sponsors and station managers do not want to appear to show favoritism or promote a particular cause, nor do advertisers want their brands to be associated with causes that could be detrimental to the sales of their product. Stryper in the 80s was an exception because that was the era of hair metal, and with "Headbanger's Ball," any hair metal group was getting attention. Today they may not get as much attention because there are so many more places to get music that MTV isn't as obligated to feature them.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:11 AM   #9 (permalink)
2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Most Christian music is insipid and, ironically, lacking in soul. One exception is Ashley Cleveland. She's pretty much unknown, but Second Skin is the best "Christian" record I've heard, and excellent by any yardstick. I'd pay $$$ to see her.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:52 AM   #10 (permalink)

i suppose it just depends on what style of music you listen to