Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Like Tree53Likes

Old 09-15-2013, 08:47 PM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by campy View Post
Btw, atheism forced down your throat is just as obnoxious but thats a whollle other story....
Beliefs are like penises. I'm quite happy with mine, and I don't want yours shoved down my throat.

Also:
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:00 PM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cretaceous Bob View Post
Having rules for the treatment of slaves is inherently advocating slavery. You know why we don't have rules for how you can or can't treat slaves? Because you're not fucking supposed to have slaves.

YOU are also taking things out of context, rabbit. The Bible is, within it's own context, the word of God. No parts of the Old Testament are not the word of God. They are included because they are the word of God. The New Testament is never a rejection of anything in the Old Testament, because the Old Testament is the word of God.

It is not a passage of a guy's opinion OR a passage written by a guy a long time ago with an outdated perspective, considered in the context of the Bible's mythology, which is what we are talking about. It is the divinely ordained order, which includes slavery.

Also the part you reference quickly where Moses and the Israelites are told to keep female child captives for themselves is pretty clearly slavery directly approved by God, so this mental gymnastic you're doing is very silly.
The Bible isn't the literal word of God. It's a book written by multiple authors, often with contradicting opinions.

Even if you look at the OT as the "word" of God, the laws of the OT were replaced/reformed, almost solely by Paul. Nearly every law and of the OT was abandoned by Christianity, several of them by Christ in fact. I don't understand what kind of mental gymnastics I'm doing.

I'd view Christianity as a separate religion than Judaism, despite the fact that it was built on Judaism's back. Christianity was built on Judaism, as well as Platonism, Zoroastrianism, astrology, and probably a list of other religions and philosophies as long as your arm. Just like Islam was similarly built on Christianity, Gnostic Christianity, and Zoroastrianism. It kept the parts it wanted and rejected the rest. That is how religions tend to operate.

Paul is basically saying to turn the other cheek and that in Christ there is no difference between being a slave or a master. In this world your position doesn't matter.

I'm honestly not so sure what is so infuriating about Paul's opinion other than the inflammatory language. He isn't advocating slavery. If people followed the teachings of the entire letter, there wouldn't be any slavery at all.

Paul is saying to turn the other cheek no matter where you are at in life. If the golden rule doesn't apply all of the time, not just when it benefits you, then it's really just another way of being selfish.

Maybe I'll just have to agree to disagree with most people about this?

Last edited by XrabbitX; 09-15-2013 at 09:43 PM.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:20 PM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XrabbitX View Post
The Bible isn't the literal word of God. It's a book written by multiple authors, often with contradicting opinions.
Then why do we give a fuck about it?
Old 09-15-2013, 09:38 PM   #44 (permalink)

I wouldn't ask you to, although my view would be that a tool doesn't need to be perfect to have value.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:46 PM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
I wouldn't ask you to, although my view would be that a tool doesn't need to be perfect to have value.
A bag of manure has value.

That doesn't mean you should base all your life's decisions upon it.

You've got a pretty fucking big mouth for a rabbit.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:46 PM   #46 (permalink)

Quote:
If it isn't the word of god, then it doesn't have any value except as a storybook, and even then I'd argue the negatives outweigh the positives.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:04 PM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scumhook View Post
A bag of manure has value.

That doesn't mean you should base all your life's decisions upon it.

You've got a pretty fucking big mouth for a rabbit.
Even from a purely religious perspective, I wouldn't ever say to base all your life's decisions on the Bible or any book.

If there is no God and all religion is 100% bullshit then the Bible, and all religions, are still a reflection of humanity; i.e. human desires/fears/hopes etc. They're incredibly important to learn from, simply from a psychological perspective alone.

I guess I do have a pretty fucking big mouth right?
Sparrow and Scumhook like this.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:06 PM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:
If there is no God and all religion is 100% bullshit then the Bible, and all religions, are still a reflection of humanity; i.e. human desires/fears/hopes etc.
I could say the same about Winnie the Pooh.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:13 PM   #49 (permalink)

Winnie the Pooh is actually quite the philosopher in his own right

This is one of the absolute greatest books I've ever read:

The Tao of Pooh: Benjamin Hoff: 9780140067477: Amazon.com: Books
Old 09-15-2013, 10:17 PM   #50 (permalink)