Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Like Tree53Likes

Old 09-17-2013, 02:10 PM   #61 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XrabbitX View Post
The Bible isn't the literal word of God. It's a book written by multiple authors, often with contradicting opinions.

Even if you look at the OT as the "word" of God, the laws of the OT were replaced/reformed, almost solely by Paul. Nearly every law and of the OT was abandoned by Christianity, several of them by Christ in fact. I don't understand what kind of mental gymnastics I'm doing.

I'd view Christianity as a separate religion than Judaism, despite the fact that it was built on Judaism's back. Christianity was built on Judaism, as well as Platonism, Zoroastrianism, astrology, and probably a list of other religions and philosophies as long as your arm. Just like Islam was similarly built on Christianity, Gnostic Christianity, and Zoroastrianism. It kept the parts it wanted and rejected the rest. That is how religions tend to operate.

Paul is basically saying to turn the other cheek and that in Christ there is no difference between being a slave or a master. In this world your position doesn't matter.

I'm honestly not so sure what is so infuriating about Paul's opinion other than the inflammatory language. He isn't advocating slavery. If people followed the teachings of the entire letter, there wouldn't be any slavery at all.

Paul is saying to turn the other cheek no matter where you are at in life. If the golden rule doesn't apply all of the time, not just when it benefits you, then it's really just another way of being selfish.

Maybe I'll just have to agree to disagree with most people about this?
Dude, you disagree with most Christians about what Christianity is. The Holy Bible is the word of God. The texts included in the Holy Bible are different from any other text because they were written with the influence of God. The Old Testament is not rejected or reformed at all; it is in the Holy Bible for a reason. That means, at the very least, God was a big big fan of slavery before he changed his mind, and that makes God a slaver and an indecisive goon.
Keith likes this.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:34 PM   #62 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cretaceous Bob View Post
Dude, you disagree with most Christians about what Christianity is. The Holy Bible is the word of God. The texts included in the Holy Bible are different from any other text because they were written with the influence of God. The Old Testament is not rejected or reformed at all; it is in the Holy Bible for a reason. That means, at the very least, God was a big big fan of slavery before he changed his mind, and that makes God a slaver and an indecisive goon.
Christianity isn't a monolithic religion. There are 10,000 protestant denominations alone, and that is just based on one branch of the religion.

If one reads any Biblical scholarship it's bound to give you a different perspective.

I'm not sure why you're expecting me to adhere to any particular view of Christianity when I'm free to make my own decisions and come to my own conclusions. It appears you're the one doing mental gymnastics in this regard.

Yes Judaism and Christianity are not 100% morally consistent. YHWH and Christ are not morally consistent either. These aren't new issues and were all addressed in different ways by Christians within the first two centuries of the religion.

"God created man. (Than) men create God. That is the way it is in the world - men make gods and worship their creation. It would be fitting for the gods to worship men!" ~ Gospel of Philip

Christianity wasn't partially unified until the third century and there was no Bible, in it's current form, for 1,200 more years after that. Christianity was never a unified religion and there is still a wide spectrum of belief in regard to theology, scholarship, history, and how to treat other people.

You can cherry pick bad things out of the religion if you want to, but that doesn't mean it's representative of the whole.

Last edited by XrabbitX; 09-18-2013 at 03:49 PM.
Old 09-18-2013, 05:04 PM   #64 (permalink)

Quote:
"God created man. (Than) men create God. That is the way it is in the world - men make gods and worship their creation. It would be fitting for the gods to worship men!" ~ Gospel of Philip
Philip had really bad grammar.
Old 09-18-2013, 05:31 PM   #65 (permalink)

Actually that was my shitty grammar. :P

"God created man. [...] men create God. That is the way it is in the world - men make gods and worship their creation. It would be fitting for the gods to worship men! "

The original text is damaged.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:46 AM   #66 (permalink)

Quote:
Christianity isn't a monolithic religion. There are 10,000 protestant denominations alone, and that is just based on one branch of the religion.
No, rabbit. The VAST majority of Christians agree about the things I stated about what the Bible is. We're talking minimum 99%. What I have said applies to Christianity in near totality.

Don't come in here telling people they're wrong about Christianity when they're 99% right.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:47 AM   #67 (permalink)

Quote:
You can cherry pick bad things out of the religion if you want to, but that doesn't mean it's representative of the whole.
You can cherry pick good things out of the religion if you want to, but that doesn't mean it's representative of the whole.

It's incredibly convenient how people who defend 100% of Christianity won't acknowledge any criticism as valid unless it applies to their specific interpretation of the religion. Christianity is not defined by your beliefs, rabbit. It is a generality.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:30 AM   #68 (permalink)

Quote:
We're talking minimum 99%. What I have said applies to Christianity in near totality.

Don't come in here telling people they're wrong about Christianity when they're 99% right.
bob. dear. you are talking out of your ass. that's a ridiculous made up number and you know it. cite source or gtfo.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:35 AM   #69 (permalink)

Quote:
You can cherry pick good things out of the religion if you want to, but that doesn't mean it's representative of the whole.

It's incredibly convenient how people who defend 100% of Christianity won't acknowledge any criticism as valid unless it applies to their specific interpretation of the religion. Christianity is not defined by your beliefs, rabbit. It is a generality.
she absolutely isn't defending 100% of christianity. she has stated, often in fact, about the wide breadth of interpretive differences present historically and right now. Christianity is a mod podge. we want to talk explore and talk about it.

you are creating hypotheticals, getting real pissed, and reaming people about things about the things /you/ made up. let's focus back into the reality of this thread and these specific people.

bellyaching and shitting poops all over the room about the pitfalls of organized religion is exhausting and we really don't want to. that is not what this discussion is for. if you'd like to look at the bible and find its universal truths and humanity with the rest of us and how it may apply in a modern age, super! elsewise, please take it outside. my Happy gets real tired trying to chew through it.
XrabbitX likes this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aunt_helen View Post
Laugh a little, chigger. The world is a fun place.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:46 AM   #70 (permalink)

pulled from the sermon on the mount.

25 “Settle matters quickly with your adversary who is taking you to court. Do it while you are still together on the way, or your adversary may hand you over to the judge, and the judge may hand you over to the officer, and you may be thrown into prison.

^that's just smart thinkin's. handle your shit.

43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46 If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47 And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others?

now, i cut off the end where he's all "what are you doing more than other, even /pagans/ do that" little racist...little racist, guys. but, i do like that the sun fucking rises on us all, on the evil and the good. it's a frustrating reminder we're all the same.