Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 03-10-2007, 02:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

SMS and *67

My mom has a friend who has been receiving some disturbing SMS messages on her phone. The number displayed is just a bunch of zeros. Could someone be hiding their number or is it most likely originating from a computer? Either way, how could she locate the sender's number or other identifying information?
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 03:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

Sounds like Skype. I don't know if that helps or anything. I am not sure there is much you could do to track that person since they are calling from a compy.
Old 03-10-2007, 04:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

call the phone company. That is considered a crime, and they can go after them.

Nothing is private with the phone company. They can get any number or IP they want.
Old 03-10-2007, 04:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by portions_for_foxes View Post
My mom has a friend who has been receiving some disturbing SMS messages on her phone.
Oh shit, sorry dude, that was me. Your mum's friend is hot!
Old 03-10-2007, 05:06 PM   #5 (permalink)

Actually, almost all of the carriers have a web2sms portal that allows you to txt and send what ever number you like.

Verizon
Cingular
T-Mobile
Sprint

Not to mention the free email portals that they run too.
Old 03-10-2007, 05:08 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by freekobe View Post
Actually, almost all of the carriers have a web2sms portal that allows you to txt and send what ever number you like...Not to mention the free email portals that they run too.
Yeah, thats a point. Can you tell us the content of these messages? Are they saucy?
Old 03-10-2007, 06:52 PM   #7 (permalink)

No, they're not. They're about her soon to be ex-husband fucking another woman. It's really not cool. The phone company told her that if she wanted the text messages printed out and possibly the send, she would have to get a supeana within 72 hours.
Old 03-10-2007, 10:38 PM   #8 (permalink)

Here's what I found out from www.privacyrights.org...

What can I do if I am receiving harassing text messages on my cell phone?

If you believe the threats are serious, contact the police. Most carriers explicitly prohibit harassing SMS (short message service) messages, or as they are more commonly known, text messages, in their terms of use. However, filing a police report is still an important step. Since text messages can be sent from a computer without sending a call-back number, it may be difficult to pinpoint who is sending the message. A subpoena might be necessary to locate the harasser through their computer or their restricted phone number.

In addition to filing the police report, it is important to document the harassment. If you think the messages will be deleted before the investigation is complete, you may want to photograph the text messages.

Parents should be aware of the increase in electronic bullying through text messages. One option is to contact the carrier and ask that the text message function be disabled. Disabling this feature will block all messages though (it is not usually possible to block a single phone number). As cell phones are often an integral part of a child's social life, you may not want to completely take away this option.

Experts suggest that turning off the text messaging function for a few days may be enough to discourage the harasser. Policies on blocking text messages vary by individual carrier, and your carrier may offer other options. Additionally, 14 states have laws regulating cell phones and pagers on school property. For specifics please see http://www.ncsl.org/programs/lis/leg...rsinschool.htm.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:23 AM   #9 (permalink)

Since SMS messages usually have a monetary cost to the recipient, isn't spamming them illegal?
Old 03-12-2007, 12:19 PM   #10 (permalink)

Contact the police. Dont do it next week or something like that. Do it now.