Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 01-20-2006, 06:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Sympathy for Idol rejects

Hey Chemda,

Last year i went to audition for Canadian Idol and was rejected too. Now i don't sing in a band but I am a local actor and have been in choirs and musicals and stuff and i know that i can sing well (or at least better then half the people that would end up on the frickin show).

I spent the night at our local concert hall here in Winnipeg, Manitoba and after 30+ hours of no sleep (and hallucinating from it), catty girls giving you the stink eye when you practise in the bathrooms, and meeting the weirdest fucking people in your city.....i was rejected (from 5 people in the 1st round) by 1) a guy who choked and didn't sing at all 2) a nerdy guy who was a self proclaimed "idol" expert 3) a 16 year old who was i admit amazing and 4) a no talent whore who sang Tiffany's "I think were alone now" off key but had a nice cake of makeup going on her face (the 16 year old and whore made it through)

I sang Aretha Franklin's Chain of Fools and the sad part is that a majority of the people auditioning didn't even know who she was. This floored me that at a singing audition no one knows who fricking Aretha is?!?!?!?

Chemda as for these idol shows not going by appearance i would disagree a bit. For canadian idol they seem to go by appearance and how easily you fit into there "pop mold", even if you are not necessarily a pop singer. i think american tv is starting to realize that with these reality shows you will get more people watching if you get more of an "everyman" type out performing. Makes for a better story if the average joe gets to win, not some model type.

so don't feel bad......it's not your looks (i am secure enough to say your a cutie)......it's not your voice (i heard some of your songs on the website and theyre awesome)....it's just that some people don't fit into these producers "magical money making diva molds". It's just sad when they let through the shitty singers and they then realize they have been used.

as for american idol.....their loss...it would have been cool to see your sense of humor on the show
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 10:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

Music Rights

When you audition for American Idol do they provide a list of recommended songs to sing?

I'm thinking along the lines of music rights.

What if you sing a song that they don't have the rights to or can't get the rights to? I guess that would prevent you from being shown on TV and might keep you from ever being brought in front of the celebrity judges. Would that affect your chances of progressing?

Old 01-23-2006, 05:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtkitty1313
Hey Chemda,

Last year i went to audition for Canadian Idol and was rejected too. Now i don't sing in a band but I am a local actor and have been in choirs and musicals and stuff and i know that i can sing well (or at least better then half the people that would end up on the frickin show).

I spent the night at our local concert hall here in Winnipeg, Manitoba and after 30+ hours of no sleep (and hallucinating from it), catty girls giving you the stink eye when you practise in the bathrooms, and meeting the weirdest fucking people in your city.....i was rejected (from 5 people in the 1st round) by 1) a guy who choked and didn't sing at all 2) a nerdy guy who was a self proclaimed "idol" expert 3) a 16 year old who was i admit amazing and 4) a no talent whore who sang Tiffany's "I think were alone now" off key but had a nice cake of makeup going on her face (the 16 year old and whore made it through)

I sang Aretha Franklin's Chain of Fools and the sad part is that a majority of the people auditioning didn't even know who she was. This floored me that at a singing audition no one knows who fricking Aretha is?!?!?!?

Chemda as for these idol shows not going by appearance i would disagree a bit. For canadian idol they seem to go by appearance and how easily you fit into there "pop mold", even if you are not necessarily a pop singer. i think american tv is starting to realize that with these reality shows you will get more people watching if you get more of an "everyman" type out performing. Makes for a better story if the average joe gets to win, not some model type.

so don't feel bad......it's not your looks (i am secure enough to say your a cutie)......it's not your voice (i heard some of your songs on the website and theyre awesome)....it's just that some people don't fit into these producers "magical money making diva molds". It's just sad when they let through the shitty singers and they then realize they have been used.

as for american idol.....their loss...it would have been cool to see your sense of humor on the show
In SOME cases, a good singer will succeed. But only to a certain point.

And as for the "average Joe" winning, it's discouraging to many people because Randy, Paula, and Simon, shut down anyone who doesn't have the superstar persona. But the fact that the Average Joe could win the WSOP (Chris Moneymaker) is what makes THAT extremely attractive.
Old 01-23-2006, 06:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

I was wondering, Chemda, what exactly did they tell you? You can obviously sing, so do they say that you just aren't the "type" they are looking for? Maybe they feel the audience won't relate to you? Its just amazing that you wouldn't even make the first cut since anyone who can carry a tune seems to make it through even when its painfully obvious that they won't make it any further. I guess it helps if you go in with a sob story.
Old 01-24-2006, 09:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
Chamsa! Chamsa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritz
I was wondering, Chemda, what exactly did they tell you? You can obviously sing, so do they say that you just aren't the "type" they are looking for? Maybe they feel the audience won't relate to you? Its just amazing that you wouldn't even make the first cut since anyone who can carry a tune seems to make it through even when its painfully obvious that they won't make it any further. I guess it helps if you go in with a sob story.

they said something about them looking for vocalist who have more control of their voice... i think
(Online)   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 12:30 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Girl
they said something about them looking for vocalist who have more control of their voice... i think
Are they right?
Old 01-24-2006, 12:52 PM   #7 (permalink)

Her vocal coach, the pervert, wanted her to sing from her DIAPHRAM!

(I mean, that would take years to master)
Old 01-25-2006, 04:37 AM   #8 (permalink)
2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Yeah that was a scary story about how your destiny was almost intertwined with Paula Abdul. Things could've turned out so much different. Reminds me of the time I narrowly avoided being disembowelled and having my spleen and pancreas eaten by Condaliza Rice while I watched. Things could've turned out so much different.
Old 01-25-2006, 12:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
Chamsa! Chamsa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighMike
Are they right?

i thought i had control of it but everyone can judge for themselves. my myspace has a few songs: www.myspace.com/chemda (damscus is the shortest if you need quick reviewing)
(Online)   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 01:14 PM   #10 (permalink)

i wonder if they mistake some of the middle eastern vocal manerisms as not being in control? like in damascus (i think i'm thinking of the right one) don't you do some sort of vocal gymnastics where your voice goes in waves kind of?