Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Like Tree41Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2009, 09:21 PM   #1451 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
standardman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Manchester, England
Posts: 3,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Is Moore View Post
I heard about that. it sounds kinda unrealistic to me. A shitton of jedi roaming around would put off MOST criminals.
I don't really know much about it, so if this post sounds retarded, it's not you, it's me.
Also known as 'The Star Wars Galaxies Problem'. They've already had a failed run and this one looks more promising, so fingers crossed.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:29 PM   #1452 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Mikey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Gran, you might have noticed that my boyfriend glitters. It's just something that he does in the sun
Posts: 4,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by standardman View Post
I liked all that in COD4 too but it's so scripted that it's exactly the same on every playthrough. Half Life 2's AI is..dated but in Episode 2 it's pretty amazing, especially during the ambush at the cottage.
yeah, I only played the COD4 story mode once, as I do think most players. Where it shined was multiplayer. At any given time there used to be around 300k players online.

Has anyone else tried the FEAR 2 demo? I played it twice now, and liked it

(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:50 PM   #1453 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
madeyeshawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,006
My point in comparing Cod4 and bioshock to HL2 is to simply point out the contrast of what Gamers want out of games today.

You make a good defense, especially since I dont disagree with any of your counterpoints.

But the things that Bioshock and COD4 had done right were the things that Half Life 2 was missing the most.

all three games have different flaws, so i guess im implying that HL2's gameplay flaws (not considering graphics) made it harder to enjoy in the years of 07 and 08. Well speaking for myself that is.

And yes it is unfair to compare, but if Valve does not want unfair comparison they should not re release games 4 years down the road. Alot of us appreciate a chance to play these gems, but the sad consequence is a niche of gamers that will have a jaded current gen perspective.

At the very least they had Portal as the saving grace of "The Orange Box"
__________________
"Love for an hour is Love forever." ~Amy Hempel~
"Torture is torture and humiliation is humiliation only when you choose to suffer." ~Chuck Palahniuk~

(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 10:32 PM   #1454 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
andsoitgoes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by standardman View Post
Regarding Left 4 Dead, it's cute that people play FPSes on consoles .


We know, you don't like FPS games on the console. I understand your non-opposable thumbs getting in the way of using the dual sticks, so that's okay



/will hopefully never play another FPS on a PC
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 10:45 PM   #1455 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
standardman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Manchester, England
Posts: 3,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by madeyeshawn View Post
My point in comparing Cod4 and bioshock to HL2 is to simply point out the contrast of what Gamers want out of games today.

You make a good defense, especially since I dont disagree with any of your counterpoints.

But the things that Bioshock and COD4 had done right were the things that Half Life 2 was missing the most.

all three games have different flaws, so i guess im implying that HL2's gameplay flaws (not considering graphics) made it harder to enjoy in the years of 07 and 08. Well speaking for myself that is.

And yes it is unfair to compare, but if Valve does not want unfair comparison they should not re release games 4 years down the road. Alot of us appreciate a chance to play these gems, but the sad consequence is a niche of gamers that will have a jaded current gen perspective.

At the very least they had Portal as the saving grace of "The Orange Box"
Good points all but I will say that gaming and rereleases go hand-in-hand and it introduced lots of people to a great game.

For me The Orange Box was Episode 2, Portal and Team Fortress 2 with some free shit thrown in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andsoitgoes View Post


We know, you don't like FPS games on the console. I understand your non-opposable thumbs getting in the way of using the dual sticks, so that's okay



/will hopefully never play another FPS on a PC
As someone who has always played both PC and console games, FPSes on a control pad have never come close to controlling as well as a keyboard and mouse. Admittedly, the keyboard is a weak link but it has many keys and the mouse > .
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 11:29 PM   #1456 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
rhesusattack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 305
Dammit...I was gonna trade L4D, but if the DLC is free...

I loved Bioshock to death. I was completely involved in the world, I loved the characters, the enemies were interesting, and I actually enjoyed the combat, which I can't say for HL2.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 01:56 AM   #1457 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Cretaceous Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 2,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Is Moore View Post
I FINALLY got around to playing KotOR. It was great. I thought it was going to be shitty, like most games based off of movies. I've gotta hand it to these super nerds, they know their shit.
I can't wait to play the second one.
It's not really based on any of the movies at all. Don't be so excited for the second one though; it's not nearly as good, as it's made by a different developer. It's still worth playing, but it is MASSIVELY disappointing. Mass Effect is the closest thing to the original KOTOR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
Has anyone else tried the FEAR 2 demo? I played it twice now, and liked it
Tried it, was disappointed. I couldn't understand why the fuck dudes limbs didn't come off when I shot them TWICE with a shotgun. What the fuck was that? Everything that made FEAR cool was going into slowmo and blowing a dude's arm/leg/face off and watching the blood go everywhere. Now, even if it's possible to sever limbs, it's way too hard for me to care. And the weapons all feel really weak. Even the sniper rifle felt like it was firing thumbtacks. And I don't even know what the deal was with the giant mech. That is ridiculously out of place.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 06:28 AM   #1458 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
standardman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Manchester, England
Posts: 3,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhesusattack View Post
Dammit...I was gonna trade L4D, but if the DLC is free...

I loved Bioshock to death. I was completely involved in the world, I loved the characters, the enemies were interesting, and I actually enjoyed the combat, which I can't say for HL2.
Bioshock was one of my favourite games of that year but the end was still limp.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 09:41 AM   #1459 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
rhesusattack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by standardman View Post
Bioshock was one of my favourite games of that year but the end was still limp.
Agreed, but how much can I complain about a lame ending when everything leading up to it was sooo good?
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 10:06 AM   #1460 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
unrealrob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: North Bay, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by standardman View Post
Bioshock was one of my favourite games of that year but the end was still limp.
Limp ending? *cough* Fallout 3
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:50 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
Keith and The GirlAd Management plugin by RedTyger