Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Like Tree41Likes

Old 08-06-2009, 05:53 PM   #2301 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cretaceous Bob View Post
Trying to create a unique fantasy setting and ending up close to other fantasy settings is a whole hell of a lot more interesting and respectable than purposefully replicating an existing city.

Besides, I didn't like Oblivion in the first 5 or 6 hours I played it. But I give things fair chances and don't talk about how games look shitty when I watch other people play them. Fuck, GTA IV was fucking boring in the first 5 or 6 hours. You spend half the time with no weapons, no car, just driving around and talking to your loser ass cousin. It really only gets going when their apartment burns down, which is pretty far into the game. If we want to break down the first 5 or 6 hours of both games, Oblivion kicks the crap out of GTA IV. At least in Oblivion I could have a really intense battle with an Imperial guard and loot his armor and set off to explore if I was bored with the story; GTA just forces you to slog through working for a fat guy running a taxi service. And if you don't like it, you can't even fight the cops because the most you have is a fucking pistol.

The pedestrians and NPCs in GTA don't actually have jobs or destinations, they just wander in the same boring ass fashion every other GTA pedestrian has ever done. GTA's NPCs have always done dumb shit like randomly park cars after driving in circles and then they just walk around pointlessly.

Oblivion's NPCs, however, DO have jobs, DO have destinations, DO have routines. You're being purposefully arbitrary if a couple conversations about mudcrabs makes the dialog worse than the heaps of boring ass shit GTA IV characters whined at me while I drove them around like a BITCH, and if the PAINFULLY generic mission structure is worse than Oblivion's dynamic open world.
Blah blah...whatever. It doesn't really matter because Fallout 3 is better than both, haha.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 06:31 PM   #2302 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhesusattack View Post
Blah blah...whatever. It doesn't really matter because Fallout 3 is better than both, haha.
That's probably true.
Old 08-07-2009, 04:19 AM   #2303 (permalink)

Quote:
That's probably true.
Never played a fallout game/don't know anything about them. The wikipedia page isn't drawing me in either.

My brother bought guitar hero:smash hits which I've been playing a bit while I'm not at college. It's alright and better than rock band in terms of controls/responsiveness, I find. The songs are fine but I prefer rock band songs more.

Last edited by gin_web; 08-07-2009 at 04:26 AM.
Old 08-07-2009, 06:22 AM   #2304 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gin_web View Post
Never played a fallout game/don't know anything about them. The wikipedia page isn't drawing me in either.
I think you're just anti-apocalyptic scifi.
Old 08-07-2009, 06:58 AM   #2305 (permalink)

Quote:
I had never played a Fallout game or knew anything about them, but then I bought Fallout 3 and love it.
Old 08-07-2009, 07:42 AM   #2306 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by standardman View Post
I think you're just anti-apocalyptic scifi.
What? I'd be happy to try it.

Link me to a trailer you approve of.
Old 08-07-2009, 07:55 AM   #2307 (permalink)

Quote:
What? I'd be happy to try it.

Link me to a trailer you approve of.
I was making a point about how silly that comment is but okay.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:05 AM   #2308 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by standardman View Post
I was making a point about how silly that comment is but okay.
While he might be guilty of hypocrisy, that comment isn't silly.

I've met plenty of people who refuse to play a perfectly good game purely because of its type of setting.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:08 AM   #2309 (permalink)

Quote:
While he might be guilty of hypocrisy, that comment isn't silly.

I've met plenty of people who refuse to play a perfectly good game purely because of its type of setting.
Oh absolutely but saying you're anti-(genre x) just because someone doesn't like the game you like is silly.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:35 AM   #2310 (permalink)

Wow, I really am the odd man out here. I detested Fallout 3... and still do!

Sure, in terms of graphics, story, combat, and all that core gameplay stuff, Fallout 3 is arguably better than Oblivion. But somehow it just cannot win me over. I socked dozens of hours into Fallout 3 and was ONLY compelled to keep playing because of the achievements. Oblivion on the other hand, I played for maybe another 30-40 hours after I had gotten all of the achievements. And I loved every minute of it.

We all understand that games are largely subjective. Sure there are those unimaginable pieces of shit like ET, but somewhere out there someone has a special little place in their heart for that game.

I was about to argue with everyone and suggest that I, myself was a hater of a specific genre/setting; the post-apocalyptic setting. Then I remembered how much I loved Fallout 1 and 2. It's difficult to pigeon-hole oneself into a specific genre of hatred. I will go on the record as saying that Fallout 3's setting was one of the primary reasons that I didn't like the game. It was bland and boring to me... but I'm not American, so I don't get off on all that post-nuclear destruction of the world stuff.

Go Canada!