Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Like Tree41Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2009, 10:29 AM   #2421 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
standardman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Manchester, England
Posts: 3,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkenstein View Post
The original, yes. I'm talking about the 2009 version. It's incredibly flat.
It's weird, I'm not sure when it happened but Wolfenstein stopped being a big thing somewhere along the way. I remember being excited for Return but no-one really cares anymore. Having said that, the Wolfenstein RPG for the iPhone is a neat idea.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 11:23 AM   #2422 (permalink)
Senior Member
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer
 
Junkenstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Northern Italy (No Guidos Here)
Posts: 6,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by standardman View Post
It's weird, I'm not sure when it happened but Wolfenstein stopped being a big thing somewhere along the way. I remember being excited for Return but no-one really cares anymore. Having said that, the Wolfenstein RPG for the iPhone is a neat idea.
I think it was more of a nostalgic thing in the beginning. Every gamer i know has played the original, even likes it more than Doom. But the new generation of gamers like other stuff and better games. Right now, if you do a shooter with a shitty or no multiplayer, you have to do something creative with the rest of the game. Like Bioshock. Shooting at nazis with almost no AI, with weapons that look like a slightly dumber version of doom and stuff like "slowing down time" (c'mon...) is not that fun anymore...
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 11:27 AM   #2423 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
standardman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Manchester, England
Posts: 3,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkenstein View Post
I think it was more of a nostalgic thing in the beginning. Every gamer i know has played the original, even likes it more than Doom. But the new generation of gamers like other stuff and better games. Right now, if you do a shooter with a shitty or no multiplayer, you have to do something creative with the rest of the game. Like Bioshock. Shooting at nazis with almost no AI, with weapons that look like a slightly dumber version of doom and stuff like "slowing down time" (c'mon...) is not that fun anymore...
I think you've got it right. The disheartening thing is how great the Return to Castle Wolfenstein/Enemy Territory multiplayer was, it's like they took a step back.

And yeah, I don't think slowing down time can really be called a feature anymore. Having said that, have you seen Singularity?
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 11:46 AM   #2424 (permalink)
Senior Member
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer
 
Junkenstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Northern Italy (No Guidos Here)
Posts: 6,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by standardman View Post
And yeah, I don't think slowing down time can really be called a feature anymore. Having said that, have you seen Singularity?

I saw the clips on youtube. Now THAT looks like a good concept for a game. The Bioshock look helps too. I really, really would like to give a try to the demo. Cool stuff indeed, if it's handled in a playable way and not only a gimmick.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 11:48 AM   #2425 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
standardman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Manchester, England
Posts: 3,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkenstein View Post
I saw the clips on youtube. Now THAT looks like a good concept for a game. The Bioshock look helps too. I really, really would like to give a try to the demo. Cool stuff indeed, if it's handled in a playable way and not only a gimmick.
It's the Red Faction problem. Hopefully, it'll be part of the world like Red Faction Guerrilla and not specific to certain parts ala Red Faction 1 and 2. Also, it has the gravity gun only with extra bits.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 12:04 PM   #2426 (permalink)
Senior Member
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer
 
Junkenstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Northern Italy (No Guidos Here)
Posts: 6,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by standardman View Post
It's the Red Faction problem. Hopefully, it'll be part of the world like Red Faction Guerrilla and not specific to certain parts ala Red Faction 1 and 2. Also, it has the gravity gun only with extra bits.
I didnt really care for Red Faction, i have to say. The trailer seemed nice, but i was afraid it was another Crisis/Halo derivative.

What i would like to see in a game is shooting but with some sadistic creativity (I know it's not a shooter, but i like how in Arkham you can take down people in different ways). If the time bending in Singularity can be used to do fucked up stuff, it could be lovely. Then again, i'm a person who would love to do a shooter where you can use the portal gun and everyone says i'm talking nonsense...
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 12:17 PM   #2427 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
standardman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Manchester, England
Posts: 3,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkenstein View Post
I didnt really care for Red Faction, i have to say. The trailer seemed nice, but i was afraid it was another Crisis/Halo derivative.

What i would like to see in a game is shooting but with some sadistic creativity (I know it's not a shooter, but i like how in Arkham you can take down people in different ways). If the time bending in Singularity can be used to do fucked up stuff, it could be lovely. Then again, i'm a person who would love to do a shooter where you can use the portal gun and everyone says i'm talking nonsense...
I wouldn't call Crysis or Halo original but I get what you mean. From my understanding, it's mostly fun because you smash things.

Yeah, we need some of that, I think Splinter Cell might take care of that a bit. Those counters in Arkham are brutal, I love it! As for the portal shooter, I suspect that's what Episode 3 will be doing and you could always do the trick to get it in Half Life 2 and it's episodes.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 12:36 PM   #2428 (permalink)
Senior Member
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer
 
Junkenstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Northern Italy (No Guidos Here)
Posts: 6,784
Ooooh Splinter Cell... First time i played with it, i was going mad with frustration, with the boss always aborting my mission because i kept killing people and i was supposed to be stealthy. But then i loved it. And i always got more satisfaction out of a single headshot in Rainbow Six, than a thousand people in any run and gun game.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 12:43 PM   #2429 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
standardman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Manchester, England
Posts: 3,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkenstein View Post
Ooooh Splinter Cell... First time i played with it, i was going mad with frustration, with the boss always aborting my mission because i kept killing people and i was supposed to be stealthy. But then i loved it. And i always got more satisfaction out of a single headshot in Rainbow Six, than a thousand people in any run and gun game.
As annoying as a bad stealth level in an action game can be - a well executed stealth game is fantastic to play. The Thief games still grab me.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 01:15 PM   #2430 (permalink)
Senior Member
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer
 
Junkenstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Northern Italy (No Guidos Here)
Posts: 6,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by standardman View Post
As annoying as a bad stealth level in an action game can be - a well executed stealth game is fantastic to play. The Thief games still grab me.
I loved thief, as much as it caused me ulcers. But, for example, i hated "Hitman". It could've been great but i always thought it wass stiff as hell. A good idea would be a game when you can kill off your opponents like Rorschach does while getting out of prison. The Riddick game (the 1st one) had a good mixture of gaming styles. I liked it a lot.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:57 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
Keith and The GirlAd Management plugin by RedTyger