Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Like Tree366Likes

Old 10-05-2010, 08:07 PM   #3271 (permalink)

Just saw carriers, aces ten!
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 09:37 PM   #3272 (permalink)

American Psycho

at first I liked it, then I didn't, then I really liked it, then I hated it, in the end, it was pretty entertaining and overall...good.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:01 PM   #3273 (permalink)

Never mind the "killer comedy" tag line, put this in the same category as "Henry, Portrait of a Serial Killer", "Funny Games", "Irreversible", etc (a "How far are you willing to go?" kind of movie watching experience)

A fictitious three-man black and white film crew follows a Parisian serial killer as he makes his rounds around the city, the production being funded by the money the killer steals from his victims. He is also a poet and a fierce ideologue and an art enthusiast and a lover of shellfish. Who rapes and disembowels women, kills kids and (literally) frightens old women to death. Eventually the film crew begins to sympathize with his zeal for living like a Nietsczhean Superman and begin helping him with his murders. Spoiler alert?
Old 10-05-2010, 11:04 PM   #3274 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeEMETIB View Post
American Psycho

at first I liked it, then I didn't, then I really liked it, then I hated it, in the end, it was pretty entertaining and overall...good.
The book is "better" (?)
Old 10-05-2010, 11:16 PM   #3275 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by typicallistener View Post
The book is "better" (?)
Possibly? I didn't even know it was a book until I looked up something about the movie, to make sure what I was thinking by the end of it was "correct."
Old 10-05-2010, 11:30 PM   #3276 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by typicallistener View Post
"The Social Network"

Believe the hype, movie of the year hands-down.
I was surprised that I liked this movie as much as I did. When I saw early trailers, I was "eh" about it...but I saw it last night and loved it. Ran a little long, IMO, but enthralling nonetheless.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:30 PM   #3277 (permalink)

No it's actually total horror, skin peeling, clit mutilating, eyeball gouging. Pages and pages of descriptive butchering of women, the depictions in the movie pale in comparison. If that's your thing that is
Old 10-05-2010, 11:36 PM   #3278 (permalink)

Not really my "thing" but any book well written should be able to be enjoyed...right? I mean, if you can make massive amounts of serial murder my thing...then that's some damn good writing. Anyway, I liked the movie, I just don't really like endings that "leave it up for you to interpret."

I like knowing that there was a definite, or close to definite, answer to what's going on....and I like, hopefully coming to that conclusion myself...

As far as I'm concerned none of the murders actually took place, he's just mad. But I'd like some confirmation of that from the movie/book.

I mean, by the end of it, it did kind of seem like it HAD to be imagined...but still..I want to KNOW I'm right.

Secretary of State,
KATG Film Club
Old 10-09-2010, 08:59 AM   #3279 (permalink)

Saw "Let me in". The American remake of "Let the right one in"

3.5/5 starts and worth seeing but has its problems.

First, its not better or even close to being on par with the original.

The American adaptation deemed it necessary to add a confusing theme of Good vs. Evil in the context of religion. I mean, tons of religion in every scene. This would not have bothered me if they hadn't also made Abbey (Eli) feel and look like some kind of evil beast. The original Eli never felt evil, she always seemed sad and pathetic. More like she was diseased not possessed by a demon. Whatever the point of its consistent religious tones were, it was lost on me and just left me confused.

One positive change, they revamped the parents role by having a very realistic well crafted portrayal of a family mid divorce. One scene hit so close to home for me, I actually welled up with some tears. While also ripping off a camera technique from Gus Van Sants indie film "Paranoid Park".

One last thing that felt strange to me, why was it so long? They cut out some scenes from the original and yet they were still the same length.

You can also tell that they connected some story dots that the original didn't need to. Sometimes it was a clever visual exposition and sometimes they had to spell out what the original conveyed with powerful tone and emotion.

The original is fucking good, and this movie is probably equally good if its front of an audience that is not used to seeing better films i.e. most of America. Spread the word and go see this film. If you loved the original, you wont hate this one. And if you hate foreign films but want your dark children vampire love story Americanized, your in for a treat.

Last edited by madeyeshawn; 10-09-2010 at 09:06 AM.
Old 10-09-2010, 03:11 PM   #3280 (permalink)

There's a scene in this movie that is as good as Sam Raimi at his wild best, where Joe Piscopo fights a reanimated, headless, hoofless, skinless beef cow in the kitchen of a Chinese restaurant. Otherwise WORST MOVIE EVER. Fun though.