Keith and The Girl Forums

Keith and The Girl Forums (https://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/)
-   Show Talk (https://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/f5/)
-   -   1872: Sympathy for the Devil (https://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/f5/1872-sympathy-devil-18166/)

Keith 11-06-2013 04:18 PM

1872: Sympathy for the Devil

with Troy Conrad

www.twitter.com/TroyConrad

Share this episode: Sympathy for the Devil (Keith and The Girl) - Comedy Talk Show & Podcast

Subscribe for free: Keith and The Girl podcast on your iPhone, iPad and iPod with iTunes

OLDPPL 11-06-2013 06:14 PM

Troy claims his show brings out the true voice of the comedian.

I imagine Marc Maron's true voice resembles a deaf Jewish boy who yells and screams for candy and ice cream. Come to think of it..it's not a far cry from the adult version of Maron.

OLDPPL 11-07-2013 02:53 AM

Libertarians are Homophobes ?

First of all, Troy was a great guest and I look forward to him being on the show again. He has all the great traits of a solid KATG show guest.

This being said, I was with him up until he made the proclamation "Libertarians are homophobes." That is why he made the 'Flamers' movement.

To my knowledge, Libertarians are obnoxious not because they hate gays. It's because they want liberty to extend so far that it allows too much freedom for corporations and the market. Just because their base is white people; does not mean that they are the dogmatic, hateful right wingers like the Republican party.

Troy is funny. He is smart. I expect more from someone of his ilk than to make blanket generalizations and what's worse; take his own biased assumptions as fact.

Scumhook 11-07-2013 04:15 AM

Troy made a comment about being agnostic and an atheist (from memory). I would like more info on this stance. Did I mis-hear or wtf??

I voted No on the poll because I still can't 100% discount "something" being out there.

and @OLDPPL, when u post, I feel your username is yelling at me. Fuck you.

Super Mario 11-07-2013 04:46 AM

I believe in aliens

Scumhook 11-07-2013 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Super Mario (Post 785200)
I believe in illegal aliens

Fix'd

John Galt 11-07-2013 06:28 AM

Surveys show that 89.3% of people who say "libertarians are ..." are using the OSM definition of libertarian, and have no idea what they're talking about.

Based on the libertarians I know, they are the least homophobic group of people I have ever met. By ever, I mean, ever and by group I mean gathering of three or more. Observation is just my personal experience, however, and might be skewed by the fact that I've only dealt with libertarians in the northern hemisphere so far.

flerchin 11-07-2013 10:11 AM

The heckler who gets part of the door take probably doesn't say "I didn't write anything either."

Great episode, great guest.

John Galt 11-07-2013 10:27 AM

... and now that I have time to write a touch more ...

Great show and a great guest. I really like the 'set list' concept for bringing out the funny and the creativity in people.

Electric Squirrel 11-07-2013 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scumhook (Post 785198)
Troy made a comment about being agnostic and an atheist (from memory). I would like more info on this stance. Did I mis-hear or wtf??

I don't often say I'm atheist and agnostic but that is how I would define myself. Here is why.
I call myself an atheist because I do not believe in any gods/god/higher power.
I do not believe because there is no logical reason to conceive such a thing exists.
However while there is no evidence that would make one conceive of such a thing there is no evidence to say it con not be either.
So I come to this conclusion. I can dismiss all ideas of higher powers and magic because what can be asserted with no proof can be dismissed with no proof. But the only way to know something for certain is to prove it which by the nature of the assertion I cannot do. So while there is no way I could possibly be more certain that there is no such thing as a higher power the fact I cannot disprove god means there is no logical way to say there is a 100% chance there is no higher power in the same way I cannot disprove the Flying Spaghetti Monster despite the fact I can know it is a joke.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Scumhook 11-07-2013 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seamus (Post 785223)
Agnostic just means you aren't 100% confident in your belief. Troy is an agnostic-atheist which means he doesn't believe in god but is not absolutely confident.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Electric Squirrel (Post 785229)
I don't often say I'm atheist and agnostic but that is how I would define myself. Here is why.
I call myself an atheist because I do not believe in any gods/god/higher power.
I do not believe because there is no logical reason to conceive such a thing exists.
However while there is no evidence that would make one conceive of such a thing there is no evidence to say it con not be either.
So I come to this conclusion. I can dismiss all ideas of higher powers and magic because what can be asserted with no proof can be dismissed with no proof. But the only way to know something for certain is to prove it which by the nature of the assertion I cannot do. So while there is no way I could possibly be more certain that there is no such thing as a higher power the fact I cannot disprove god means there is no logical way to say there is a 100% chance there is no higher power in the same way I cannot disprove the Flying Spaghetti Monster despite the fact I can know it is a joke.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Thx for these posts. They did help, and then I thought about it some more and started going down a fucking rabbit hole :D

Will re-read later, and then re-read the Godless WMN thread too.

I hope God is made of pasta.

Sparrow 11-07-2013 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seamus (Post 785223)
Agnostic just means you aren't 100% confident in your belief.

i think squirrel hit on this, but Agnosticism isn't about your waffling confidence level, it's a philosophical position that you /cannot/ know. you can very well believe that a higher power exists in whatever form makes sense to you, but as an agnostic, the rationale is that we puny humans can't possibly "know" it. epistemology is a fucking rabbit hole.

i have a personal belief that using Agnosticism as an excuse to be lazy about exploring and understanding your inner belief system or making definitive statements about your truth is a cop out and lacks precision of speech.

adrian 11-07-2013 09:32 PM

I've been asked the "how would you know what's right or wrong without jesus" question.

Seriously folks, if you've read your bible or even looked at the pictures in it, you might have noticed two more people being crucified ? They were robbers. And if you flick back a few pages, you will see that the "mob" were offered a pardon for one prisoner - either jesus or barabbas. Barabbas was a murderer.

Plainly the Romans had somehow managed to come up with a system founded on morality and exercised in law without any need of christianity.

And quite frankly if you need a god to tell you not to rob and kill, then you are a bit of a cunt.

adrian 11-07-2013 09:44 PM

Stewart Lee on creationism and Richard Dawkins. - YouTube
Only 49 seconds

adrian 11-07-2013 10:54 PM

Agnostics are pretty much lost causes. A muslim, jew or christian has already denied the existence of a hundred other gods - they are just one more god away from reality.

Scumhook 11-07-2013 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adrian (Post 785308)
And quite frankly if you need a god to tell you not to rob and kill, then you are a bit of a cunt.

:D :D :D

OLDPPL 11-08-2013 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Galt (Post 785216)
Surveys show that 89.3% of people who say "libertarians are ..." are using the OSM definition of libertarian, and have no idea what they're talking about..

Agreed. All the Libertarians I know don't give a fuck who you marry or who you pray to. They just want to be left alone.

Majority of my friends are radical left to democrat liberal and I love em but they have no idea where the original tea party came from , nor what libertarians are about.

I get so annoyed with the mind set of 'Well it's not Obama, so it must be anti-liberal and Republican.' America is so fucking divided by party lines. How about the issues on an individual basis? How about being socially liberal and fiscally conservative??

moeman99 11-08-2013 09:57 AM

Did Troy really say that you can get arrested in Canada for telling a joke? Are you kidding me? What a moronic comment.

Keith 11-08-2013 10:05 AM

Recently two or three comics in Canada got sued and lost for the way they responded to a heckler on stage (and it wasn't anything so crazy that they said back.)

These are separate occasions, one comic at each occasion, in completely different venues.

That wouldn't happen now in America.

The flamer/libertarian thing I didn't know to comment about because to me it's so nuanced in politics I can give a fuck. Still don't know what a libertarian is, and if someone doesn't tell me in three sentences here I'll never know nor care. But I was on board with the Canadian point.

BrianAlt 11-08-2013 10:14 AM

A Libertarian is supposed to be one that believes in a person's liberty to live their life the way they want to. However, in my opinion, too many of the party leaders also want to dictate some of those liberties (a contradiction). Most individuals (non-politicians) just want true liberty, but if they get it, that often infringes on someone else's liberties (another contradiction).

kevinquinn 11-08-2013 10:17 AM

There's nothing ambiguous about what the bible says about homosexuality.

You can choose to believe it or not believe it but it doesn't help to confuse the matter by referring to scriptures about spilling seed.

1 Corinthians 6:9-10
English Standard Version (ESV)
9 Or do you not know that the unrighteous[a] will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality,[b] 10 nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.

Footnotes:

1 Corinthians 6:9 Or wrongdoers
1 Corinthians 6:9 The two Greek terms translated by this phrase refer to the passive and active partners in consensual homosexual acts

&

Leviticus 18:22 (King James Version)

Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination.

The bible is relatively silent about girl-on-girl action, as it is with most issues related to women. There is however some interesting stuff going on between Lot and his daughters.

Genesis 19:8

“Now behold, I have two daughters who have not had relations with man; please let me bring them out to you, and do to them whatever you like; only do nothing to these men, inasmuch as they have come under the shelter of my roof.”

and later in Genesis 19:

31 One day the older daughter said to the younger, "Our father is old, and there is no man around here to lie with us, as is the custom all over the earth. 32 Let's get our father to drink wine and then lie with him and preserve our family line through our father." 33 That night they got their father to drink wine, and the older daughter went in and lay with him. He was not aware of it when she lay down or when she got up. 34 The next day the older daughter said to the younger, "Last night I lay with my father. Let's get him to drink wine again tonight, and you go in and lie with him so we can preserve our family line through our father." 35 So they got their father to drink wine that night also, and the younger daughter went and lay with him. Again he was not aware of it when she lay down or when she got up. 36 So both of Lot's daughters became pregnant by their father.

And then there's this:

"There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses." - Ezekiel 23:20

adrian 11-08-2013 10:18 AM

I thought that was a strange comment too - never heard of a comedian being arrested here. in the US though, i've seen pictures of cops filling the aisles at Lenny Bruce gigs prior to his many arrests.
And i've seen comedy shows being taken off air because they had a gay character.
And i've seen newsmen lose their jobs for asking the wrong question.
And talk show hosts lose their shows for making an obvious comment that was deemed "unpatriotic".
And i've seen department stores dump their advertising campaigns because of protests over gay representatives. cola companies dump their endorsers over the baring of a nipple and tv companies dump syndicated shows on grounds of "morality".

John Galt 11-08-2013 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianAlt (Post 785495)
A Libertarian is supposed to be one that believes in a person's liberty to live their life the way they want to. However, in my opinion, too many of the party leaders also want to dictate some of those liberties (a contradiction). Most individuals (non-politicians) just want true liberty, but if they get it, that often infringes on someone else's liberties (another contradiction).

"The kind of man who wants the government to adopt and enforce his ideas is always the kind of man whose ideas are idiotic." - Mencken

adrian 11-08-2013 11:07 AM

if this is what people are referring to, then it appears you are defending the right of a "comedian" to make personal homophobic attacks on audience members ?
Court upholds decision to fine Guy Earle $15K for insulting Lorna Pardy | National Post

Keith 11-08-2013 11:15 AM

Ah! There you go.

Yes, when someone heckles, I believe you may say anything you want about them "personally" without getting sued.

But I'm a libertarian.

adrian 11-08-2013 11:25 AM

And as a libertarian you don't regard the cases i mentioned before, Lenny Bruce, Dan Rather, Ellen Degeneres, Bill Maher, that Jackson woman etc as troubling or as a sign that the US isn't quite as accepting of free speech as everybody likes to claim?

Keith 11-08-2013 11:37 AM

Lenny Bruce is the only case you have, and you know I said "now."

I said it for someone like you.

adrian 11-08-2013 11:51 AM

There is a difference between comedic responses to a heckler and hate speech. As I think the guy who used to be Kramer demonstrated.
I'd also point out that the comedian was not arrested or charged with anything. The case was taken to a human rights tribunal which assessed him as liable for damages. The law suit that followed was him appealing the tribunals decision.
That is not prosecuting a comedian for what they say.

Keith 11-08-2013 11:56 AM

And his wasn't hate speech either. He was a flustered comedian.

You're being goofy.

We're talking about being arrested. I think being taken to court, and being sued, and losing is close to what the guest was saying. I don't think the public being offended by Kramer is close to being arrested.

Quote:

Originally Posted by adrian (Post 785515)
That is not prosecuting a comedian for what they say.

That's exactly what it is.

Good day.

adrian 11-08-2013 11:59 AM

My apologies. I have just edited my previous post to include the fact that this was not a criminal prosecution for what was said. I think it is stated in the original article though.

Keith 11-08-2013 12:00 PM

He paid for damages!

C'mon. Stop it.

adrian 11-08-2013 12:05 PM

Yes he did pay damages . And I'm not sure that I agree with that.
But I do object to a case of a human rights tribunal protecting the rights of homosexuals to live without personal abuse (regardless of provocation) being described as comedians being arrested for their comedy.
You know better than that.

Keith 11-08-2013 12:14 PM

I don't. I abhor homosexual behavior.

Wait, what?! You tricked me!

Electric Squirrel 11-08-2013 04:00 PM

We in Canada have to worry that we might get sued if we say something offensive on stage, and in the US you have to worry you might be shot in a mass shooting. I'll stick with my Canadian problems.

Keith 11-08-2013 04:10 PM

I'd keep it this way.

adrian 11-08-2013 05:38 PM

I thought we'd established that it wasn't anything in his act that got him in trouble. Not was he arrested or charged with anything. It was the fact that his response was to attack the woman on the basis of her sexuality.
Given the option of living in a country where minorities are protected or a country where school kids get shot, I know where I'd rather be.

Keith 11-08-2013 06:34 PM

We didn't think you were gonna move.

Good talk.

dannyhatch 11-08-2013 06:44 PM

Hecklers are so faggy!

What are we talking about?

Bucho 11-09-2013 03:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith (Post 785578)
I'd keep it this way.

Easy for you to say, you never go outside.

Subsonix 11-10-2013 09:57 PM

I've seen Set List live probably about 15 times all but one show was amazing. There was one where every comedian struggled. The crowd is always into it and when the comedians do well the room is a buzz. I've feel like I've seen inside some of these best comedians minds after seeing them do set list. If Keith ever got the chance it could be one of the greatest things ever!