Keith and The Girl Forums

Keith and The Girl Forums (https://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/)
-   Show Talk (https://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/f5/)
-   -   2017: The Good Ol' Days (https://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/f5/2017-good-ol-days-18707/)

Michael's Servant 07-21-2014 11:00 PM

2017: The Good Ol' Days

With Joe DeRosa - Entitled people; obtaining medical marijuana; sobriety and AA; expecting to die

Guest:
Joe DeRosa
http://static-3.keithandthegirl.net/...sa-100x100.jpg

Share this episode: Twitter, Facebook & email

Get the show: on iTunes, on Stitcher and RSS feed

BritPete 07-22-2014 03:43 AM

I found this a very difficult episode to listen to because of the negativity towards AA. There wasn't much of what was said that I agree with or have experienced myself in AA and I worry that the discussion could put people off who really need it.

The comment about real addiction being as rare as someone who eats so much that they get stuck in their house seems excessive to me. I have only heard of this happening a handful of times, so does Joe really believe that there are only a handful of real addicts in the world? Why should I have to drink to the point of death before I can get help for an addiction? My Mum is a ‘functioning’ alcoholic and it effects everybody around her and has shaped my entire life, but according to Joe this isn't real addiction.

I don’t want to comment on every point that Joe made because this is a forum not somewhere to post open letters, but I want people to know that Joe’s view of AA seems very distorted by his own issues and he seems to be picking out all the negatives and not highlighting the positives. I went into AA when I was 29 when Joe would rather I drank for another 20 years to prove that I am really an addict. It has changed my life completely. And Keith, don’t worry my higher power isn't a lamp, but it’s also not a man sitting on a cloud with a beard.

Thank you Chemda for trying to balance things and not let the episode resort to AA bashing.

BritPete 07-22-2014 03:55 AM

Just listening to Joe's comments on AA being a cult.
:mad::(

Scumhook 07-22-2014 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BritPete (Post 827568)
Just listening to Joe's comments on AA being a cult.
:mad::(

stfu pete, you gay faggot

go grab a beer & relax

BritPete 07-22-2014 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scumhook (Post 827571)
stfu pete, you gay faggot

go grab a beer & relax

Hang on a minute Scumhook, I'm entitled. You have to sit down and listen to me and pat me on the back and feel sorry for me. Isn't that right Joe?

Scumhook 07-22-2014 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BritPete (Post 827572)
Hang on a minute Scumhook, I'm entitled. You have to sit down and listen to me and pat me on the back and feel sorry for me. Isn't that right Joe?

I'll pat you on the naughty place, which will entitle you to feel dirty and sorry for yourself.

Scumhook 07-22-2014 05:28 AM

For the record, I agree with Joe's "lighten the fuck up" stance.

which, i'm sure, will greatly help his cause.

g001dfinger 07-22-2014 06:04 AM

Regarding the Vince Vaugn "gay" car joke, the problem is that some people don't see the word as having multiple meanings, while others do. So you get a clash of opinions on the meaning of the word. An example of when people accept that a word can have two connotations would be "black". There is a big difference between a "black" car (color), or a "black" car (style). It's similar to the South Park episode about the word "Fag". Both "Gay" and "Fag" can have two completely different connotations based on how they are used. Sure, the joke could have been said as "Dude, that car is very effeminate." Or "Dude, that car is very wussy." But that doesn't have the same comic punch as "Dude, that car is gay." When I heard that joke, I didn't think "Dude, that car is a loving homosexual relationship that should be respected." I heard, "Dude, that car is wussy." Same word, two completely different meanings. Same as Fag. Fag = asshole, or Fag = hatred for a homosexual. Either everyone will accept that these words will have only one meaning (such as the N-word), or we'll all accept that the words can have multiple meanings (such as pussy, black, white, bitch, cunt), or we'll just continue like we are and disagree about whether or not "Gay" and "Fag" can have multiple meanings. Hell, even the word "Friend" can have two completely opposite meanings based on the tone.

Lanfear 07-22-2014 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by g001dfinger (Post 827580)
Regarding the Vince Vaugn "gay" car joke, the problem is that some people don't see the word as having multiple meanings, while others do. So you get a clash of opinions on the meaning of the word. An example of when people accept that a word can have two connotations would be "black". There is a big difference between a "black" car (color), or a "black" car (style). It's similar to the South Park episode about the word "Fag". Both "Gay" and "Fag" can have two completely different connotations based on how they are used. Sure, the joke could have been said as "Dude, that car is very effeminate." Or "Dude, that car is very wussy." But that doesn't have the same comic punch as "Dude, that car is gay." When I heard that joke, I didn't think "Dude, that car is a loving homosexual relationship that should be respected." I heard, "Dude, that car is wussy." Same word, two completely different meanings. Same as Fag. Fag = asshole, or Fag = hatred for a homosexual. Either everyone will accept that these words will have only one meaning (such as the N-word), or we'll all accept that the words can have multiple meanings (such as pussy, black, white, bitch, cunt), or we'll just continue like we are and disagree about whether or not "Gay" and "Fag" can have multiple meanings. Hell, even the word "Friend" can have two completely opposite meanings based on the tone.

I'd looooooove for you to tell me about the multiple meaning of pussy/bitch/cunt and please don't try any "well technically a bitch is a female dog" bullshit

BrianAlt 07-22-2014 06:30 AM

As someone that grew up in the 70s, I'll say it's easy to be nostalgic. The homophobia, racism, anti-semitism was quite alive back then. Add the Watergate scandal, which is generally pointed to historically and the original source of our distrust of the government, and it was a pretty shitty time. Americans were highly depressed about themselves, leading to a generally ineffective president that then led to the Iran hostage crisis.

As someone who loves the music and art from the period, I understand the nostalgia. But if you were there, I don't think you would enjoy it.

g001dfinger 07-22-2014 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lanfear (Post 827583)
I'd looooooove for you to tell me about the multiple meaning of pussy/bitch/cunt and please don't try any "well technically a bitch is a female dog" bullshit

Pussy - 1. Vagina 2. Weak-willed individual; scared; yellow-bellied

Bitch - 1. Agressive or angry woman 2. Weak, sheepish man (similar to "pussy") 3. Female Dog

Cunt - 1. Vagina 2. An asshole or dickish person (similar to "bitch" when referring to a woman)

Sparrow 07-22-2014 06:58 AM

language is a living thing. beautiful, really.

words can have lots of denotations; you're right, but associations are important to we human creatures. we like to make connections. context and connotation are just as important; more so here when we talk about "others." when we reinforce the idea that 'homosexual' also means 'wussy,' 'effeminate,' 'less than,' 'uncool' we add those words to the people as well. it's really not cool. language changes, it breathes; can we manage to make it less stanky? we have that power. you can choose to not be an asshole to another person by adding to the systemic reasons their lives are more difficult than they need to be, or gallantly wave a dictionary.

my inclination is also that you aren't gay. there's hubris here in how you get to decide what those words we use for them get to mean to them and how they should feel about it. check yo privilege.

Sparrow 07-22-2014 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by g001dfinger (Post 827580)
a word can have two connotations would be "black". There is a big difference between a "black" car (color), or a "black" car (style). It's similar to the South Park episode about the word "Fag". Both "Gay" and "Fag" can have two completely different connotations based on how they are used.

for your edification as we move forward

de·no·ta·tion

ˌdēnōˈtāSHən

noun

the literal or primary meaning of a word, in contrast to the feelings or ideas that the word suggests.

con·no·ta·tion

ˌkänəˈtāSHən

noun

an idea or feeling that a word invokes in addition to its literal or primary meaning.

BlackhatGuy 07-22-2014 02:35 PM

I didn't find myself agreeing with a lot of what Joe spoke on, but I appreciated (for the most part) the logic that he used to get to those points. He defended himself well which made for a great episode to listen to. I wish Keith would shut the fuck up though. Christ, let someone else talk.

New here 07-22-2014 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackhatGuy (Post 827602)
but I appreciated (for the most part) the logic that he used to get to those points

give example(s) ?

daemon 07-22-2014 05:30 PM

https://smartrecovery.org/

andywebs 07-22-2014 05:50 PM

I appreciate Chemda's idealism, but unfortunately the real world isn't ideal. It's the reason we have doors and locks, instead of trying to teach everyone in the world not to steal. Everyone knows stealing is wrong, but keep on doing it anyway.

Some things are just easier to fix on your end, instead of being shocked when your stuff is gone when you get home to your unlocked house.

Mark Sandiego 07-23-2014 02:06 AM

The medical condition Joe's mom died of was probably NASH. It is a rapidly growing problem and soon to become the leading cause of liver transplants. Here is a cnbc story on it... The next hepatitis C? NASH

Cart Horse 07-23-2014 03:41 AM

Doug Stanhope is absolutlely fantastic. Haven't heard him for a while. I must hear more. :)

King Will 07-23-2014 09:27 AM

comment pasta time!

Quote:

“Our youth now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for their elders and love chatter in place of exercise; they no longer rise when elders enter the room; they contradict their parents, chatter before company; gobble up their food and tyrannize their teachers.”

-Socrates

BlackhatGuy 07-23-2014 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New here (Post 827603)
give example(s) ?

Naw

rodimusprime 07-23-2014 11:16 AM

It's always straight white dudes who long for the freedoms of the past. The "good ol days" certainly weren't "good" for everyone. Seems more like they want to exist in a time where you weren't confronted with concerns from anyone you didn't care about.

BrianAlt 07-23-2014 11:22 AM

I'm a straight white dude. See my previous post.

Keith 07-23-2014 11:26 AM

He said, "It's always straight white dudes, " not, "It's all straight white dudes..."

Don't Hulk out on us, Brian.

#notallstraightwhitedudes

BrianAlt 07-23-2014 11:34 AM

Yeah, yeah. Whatever.

robotparker 07-23-2014 03:21 PM

The 7 of you that said the 1970s were better must be on some crazy 40+ year acid trip.

rodimusprime 07-23-2014 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianAlt (Post 827660)
I'm a straight white dude. See my previous post.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith (Post 827662)
He said, "It's always straight white dudes, " not, "It's all straight white dudes..."

Don't Hulk out on us, Brian.

#notallstraightwhitedudes

Exactly.

BrianAlt 07-23-2014 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianAlt (Post 827663)
Yeah, yeah. Whatever.

Exactly.

Scumhook 07-23-2014 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianAlt (Post 827698)
Exactly.

Possibly the most narcissistic post evar.

Scumhook 07-23-2014 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scumhook (Post 827699)
Possibly the most narcissistic post evar.

Exactly

BrianAlt 07-23-2014 08:08 PM

And that's saying something on these forums!

da_ticklah 07-24-2014 07:13 PM

When there is a report of someone dragging a white person behind a VW bug or an Escalade while screaming "Die White Bread" we can talk, till then we all can admit the tags nigga/nigger and fag is kinda worse than "White Bread"

Scumhook 07-24-2014 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by da_ticklah (Post 827778)
VW bug"

Are these popular in da hood?

And do they have enough grunt to drag a screaming fat pile of privileged cracka?

da_ticklah 07-24-2014 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scumhook (Post 827788)
Are these popular in da hood?

And do they have enough grunt to drag a screaming fat pile of privileged cracka?

I was stereotyping the gays there and the Beetle with the 2.0 Turbo is no slouch 207 ft/lb @ 1700 rpm will drag a mofo...

Maximum Horsepower, (SAE) 210 @ 5,300 rpm
Maximum torque, lb-ft 207 @ 1,700 rpm

Scumhook 07-24-2014 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by da_ticklah (Post 827809)
I was stereotyping the gays there

:D :D I didn't realise - glad we cleared this up. I hate not knowing who is being offended.

Quote:

Originally Posted by da_ticklah (Post 827809)
and the Beetle with the 2.0 Turbo is no slouch 207 ft/lb @ 1700 rpm will drag a mofo...

Maximum Horsepower, (SAE) 210 @ 5,300 rpm
Maximum torque, lb-ft 207 @ 1,700 rpm

Quite a grunty little fucker.

You could drag a cracka down the back road, and then pop out for a spot of shopping and brunch and be faaaaaabulous doing both :D