Keith and The Girl Forums

Keith and The Girl Forums (https://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/)
-   Show Talk (https://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/f5/)
-   -   2743: Momentum (https://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/f5/2743-momentum-20758/)

Michael's Servant 10-26-2017 08:00 PM

2743: Momentum

With Peyton Clarkson — The roller-coaster of sobriety; divorce, presents, and parents; Swiss investment adviser and racist Marc Faber; a resort for solely obese people; a $1,000 New York bagel; The Walking Dead celebrates their 100th episode with zombies on your commute; man sentenced to 3 months in Dubai for accidentally touching another man’s hip; your next step in life; Eminem vs. President Trump; comedy audiences in small towns vs. big cities

Guest:
Peyton Clarkson
http://static-1.keithandthegirl.net/...ON-100x100.jpg

Share this episode: Twitter, Facebook & email

Get the show: on iTunes, on Stitcher and RSS feed

marykae 10-27-2017 07:24 AM

Keith.

I'm not hitting on you or anything. My boyfriend is moving in today.

But I'll take that god damn childhood kitten book.

Do you also happen to have the Roly Poly Puppy?

Keith 10-27-2017 07:33 AM

I apologize, Apia. I didn’t even think that it was group of rape victims.

Marykae, it was too painful to hold onto.

(Does sound like hitting on to me though...)

Sorin Markov 10-27-2017 07:38 AM

Hearing how Keith thinks of gifts for the people he is in a relationship with is so amazingly romantic and I really wish I could meet a gay guy as romantic and thoughtful as you.

Edit: fat jokes ARE funny

Keith 10-27-2017 07:47 AM

But are you hitting on me?

Sorin Markov 10-27-2017 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith (Post 864066)
But are you hitting on me?

Is that an invite to pound town?

Mermaid 10-27-2017 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apia (Post 864061)
Chemda. Thanks for defending fat people. They need a place to just live. You are right and Keith is wrong here.
If you want to evolve read " hunger" by Roxanne Gay.
She was raped as a child and got fat as a response. Haha. She is fat.
The people do not go to the resort to eat. They buy freedom from harassment.

Emotional eating is so common.
Binge eating is most often emotional.

The fact that people view overeating and obesity as a moral deficiency is sad.

The fact that people view "will power" as a strength, only adds to the stigma of being in a larger body.

Also, why do people care about the size of other people's bodies? Why do people get so upset by it? No one is obligated to look a way that is appeasing to you personally.

Health is not a matter of morality.

Mermaid 10-27-2017 09:43 AM

For fact checking reasons...

Obesity Stigma: Important Considerations for Public Health
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2866597/

Stigma and discrimination toward obese persons are pervasive and pose numerous consequences for their psychological and physical health. Despite decades of science documenting weight stigma, its public health implications are widely ignored. Instead, obese persons are blamed for their weight, with common perceptions that weight stigmatization is justifiable and may motivate individuals to adopt healthier behaviors. We examine evidence to address these assumptions and discuss their public health implications. On the basis of current findings, we propose that weight stigma is not a beneficial public health tool for reducing obesity. Rather, stigmatization of obese individuals threatens health, generates health disparities, and interferes with effective obesity intervention efforts. These findings highlight weight stigma as both a social justice issue and a priority for public health.

The findings:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art...n/1019fig1.jpg

Mermaid 10-27-2017 09:53 AM

I love Peyton.

His accent is comforting and he sounds like he gives good hugs.

The Alabama fight song was such a regular part of my life that I forget that it's a regional thing.

Keith 10-27-2017 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mermaid (Post 864073)
Why do people care about the size of other people's bodies?

Weren’t you in beauty pageants?

Mermaid 10-27-2017 12:08 PM

Yes, once when I was 8. And?

Keith 10-27-2017 12:16 PM

Oh ok. I guess we didn't extensively write back and forth about adult pageants again and again and again. Never mind.

Enunciated Piffle 10-27-2017 12:53 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I remember liking Roly Poly and Poky Puppy. I couldn't tell you if they were actually any good but I do know kids books these days Have gotten good.

If you're ever buying kids books; look for illustrator David Catrow. Funny Lunch is the best.

Mermaid 10-27-2017 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith (Post 864084)
Oh ok. I guess we didn't extensively write back and forth about adult pageants again and again and again. Never mind.

That back and forth was you calling pageant participants dumb because of a few clips you watched and me saying that is an unfair assessment.

Nothing about body weight stigma.

Keith 10-27-2017 01:46 PM

And now we moved onto weight stigma, pageant supporter.

Mermaid 10-27-2017 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith (Post 864090)
And now we moved onto weight stigma, pageant supporter.

*Supporter of women taking advantage of a system that will judge them for their looks no matter what they do.

Keith 10-27-2017 01:59 PM

Looks-judging is going to happen anyway so why not participate in a beauty contest cause not being in the pageant won't end people judging looks?

Mermaid 10-27-2017 02:21 PM

You like hair and makeup? You like bikinis? You like being on stage? You want that scholarship money and the experiences you will gain from traveling?

Go for it girl!

Shitty people on the street and employers will judge your weight, and every other little thing about your appearance every day. And ain't even no prize for that.

You wanna use it to move you closer to what ever your goals are? More power to you.

Same goes for sex workers, makeup artist, models, etc.

What I'm not finna do is put the onus of fixing a societial problem on the victims of that problem. I'll be damned if I blame women for sexism, POC for racism or larger bodied people for weight stigma.

Keith 10-27-2017 02:44 PM

Fuck yeah! You're gonna be judged anyway, might as well do it on television and help define beauty!

Mermaid 10-27-2017 03:18 PM

Is the definition of beauty that is defined by pageants why you have such negative feelings toward larger bodied people?

I'm almost certain you would have plenty of terrible fat jokes about pageants for people of all sizes.

Hell, you talked shit about people just wanting to vacation in peace.

Contrary to popular belief members of marginalized groups are not obligated to be activists. And they are not to blame for societal issues for playing the cards they are dealt.

Valuing women solely for their looks only seems to become an issue for people when women find a way to benefit from it.

A woman who fits the description of what is deemed as "beautiful" is for some reason never supposed to use it to her advantage... Or even notice that she does fit the description.

The game is fucked up. I have not issue with women playing the game in order to benefit themselves.

I for one will be in their corner screaming "Yaaas bitch! Secure the bag! That bikini is gorgeous!"

But because I am capable of nuanced thought (unlike some people), I am able to both celebrate women for taking advantage of the system for personal gain AND see that the system itself is fucked up.

Keith 10-27-2017 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mermaid (Post 864095)
ecause I am capable of nuanced thought (unlike some people), I am able to both celebrate women for taking advantage of the system for personal gain AND see that the system itself is fucked up.

You don’t support judging beauty but you do support contests where they judge beauty.

You’re so deep and nuanced.

Hera 10-27-2017 04:07 PM

I can’t believe how heartless keith’s ex is. I mean wtf leaving his sweet gifts behind. Did she find out he is secretly a serial killer or something??

Enunciated Piffle 10-27-2017 04:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey how did Ralphie May die? Was it fat shaming - related or..?

Mermaid 10-27-2017 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith (Post 864097)
You don’t support judging beauty but you do support contests where they judge beauty.

You’re so deep and nuanced.

I know reading isn't your thing.

So I will excuse this failure in reading comprehension.

Mermaid 10-27-2017 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enunciated Piffle (Post 864100)
Hey how did Ralphie May die? Was it fat shaming - related or..?

Well just look at him. Obviously he was suicidal and just wanted to die. Or maybe he was just so dumb that he couldn't stop bringing his hand up to his mouth.

Where do these fat people get off? The nerve of them to die.

Maybe another fat joke will help them realize the error in their ways.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Keith 10-27-2017 04:24 PM

Or maybe he simply didn’t know any better. Sometimes they just don’t know. We can’t assume his privilege.

Mermaid 10-27-2017 04:28 PM

Yep, the key is to just be unrationally angry at fat people for having the nerve to exist.

Who do they think they are?

Enunciated Piffle 10-27-2017 04:36 PM

i loved Ralphie May. His Just Correct album is one of my favorites of all time.

He didn't have to die, at age 44, with a wife and two kids. He ballooned to 800 lbs and had a heart attack. The human body is NOT designed to handle hundreds of pounds! Obesity affects mood. It's a tremendous strain on organs. Obviously.

I agree you should not make over weight people feel like shit about their weight. It's just gonna trigger them into eating more. That's their coping mechanism. But addressing weight needs to happen. It might have saved poor Ralphie's life!!!

Looks matter. If you're a meth head you look sick. If you're obese; you look sick. Any Atheist should be able to understand. You're human but you're still animal. What do pack animals do when something looks sick? They notice. They respond. It's evolutionary biology.

We need to figure out obesity. Cheering them on and BS-ing them into embracing their early death is not the way.

Keith 10-27-2017 04:59 PM

Ralphie never got the news about fried food and desserts, and no one in his life informed him. He had a different television than the rest of us - the kind that the not privileged have that Mermaid was referring to.

Even those assholes on Celebrity Fit Club wouldn't tell him!

R.I.P.

Mermaid 10-27-2017 05:01 PM

Obese people know the health risks of being obese more than anyone.

Why?

Cause people are constantly angrily telling them.

However, there isn't a cure for obesity. If their hunger hormone signals are permanently damaged there is no known treatment.

Like I said in the other thread, diets are scientificly proven as ineffective treatment for obesity. They fail over 95% of the time. If any other medical treatment failed that often (and caused the opposite effects as often) as diets do, it would never be suggested.

But because medicine is slower than research and a majority of doctors finished school decades before current research on diet alternatives, they keep prescribing diets.

There is currently no cure for obesity.

Use of willpower is finite and actually causes an increase in calorie intake due to binging.

People are literally shaming people for having a disease with no cure.

Yes, people cheer larger bodied people on. They are constantly bashed for existing. They deserve to love themselves just like everyone else. They deserve confidence just like everyone else. They deserve to feel included and loved and lusted after and heard, just like everyone else.

Keith 10-27-2017 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mermaid (Post 864107)
However, there isn't a cure for obesity ... Like I said in the other thread, diets are scientificly proven as ineffective treatment for obesity. They fail over 95% of the time ... There is currently no cure for obesity.

The only thing that would make sense is if you deliberately spelled 'scientifically' wrong because it means something you've invented.

Extra congratulations to the people that write me about the massive weight they've lost and kept off. There was no cure for your obesity and diets fail over 95% of the time, and still you did it! YAY! You're a rockstar!

For you other 95%, sorry to hear. You're stuck. Sometimes literally. Best of everything.

Mermaid 10-27-2017 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith (Post 864108)
The only thing that would make sense is if you deliberately spelled 'scientifically' wrong because it means something you've invented.

Most of the stuff I've typed has 50-11 spelling and grammar mistakes. I'm unwilling to put effort into editing text when typing on my phone.

Mermaid 10-27-2017 05:36 PM

More fact checking...

Medicare's search for effective obesity treatments: diets are not the answer.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17469900

The prevalence of obesity and its associated health problems have increased sharply in the past 2 decades. New revisions to Medicare policy will allow funding for obesity treatments of proven efficacy. The authors review studies of the long-term outcomes of calorie-restricting diets to assess whether dieting is an effective treatment for obesity. These studies show that one third to two thirds of dieters regain more weight than they lost on their diets, and these studies likely underestimate the extent to which dieting is counterproductive because of several methodological problems, all of which bias the studies toward showing successful weight loss maintenance. In addition, the studies do not provide consistent evidence that dieting results in significant health improvements, regardless of weight change. In sum, there is little support for the notion that diets lead to lasting weight loss or health benefits

Weight Science: Evaluating the Evidence for a Paradigm Shift
https://nutritionj.biomedcentral.com...1475-2891-10-9

Current guidelines recommend that "overweight" and "obese" individuals lose weight through engaging in lifestyle modification involving diet, exercise and other behavior change. This approach reliably induces short term weight loss, but the majority of individuals are unable to maintain weight loss over the long term and do not achieve the putative benefits of improved morbidity and mortality. Concern has arisen that this weight focus is not only ineffective at producing thinner, healthier bodies, but may also have unintended consequences, contributing to food and body preoccupation, repeated cycles of weight loss and regain, distraction from other personal health goals and wider health determinants, reduced self-esteem, eating disorders, other health decrement, and weight stigmatization and discrimination. This concern has drawn increased attention to the ethical implications of recommending treatment that may be ineffective or damaging. A growing trans-disciplinary movement called Health at Every Size (HAES) challenges the value of promoting weight loss and dieting behavior and argues for a shift in focus to weight-neutral outcomes. Randomized controlled clinical trials indicate that a HAES approach is associated with statistically and clinically relevant improvements in physiological measures (e.g., blood pressure, blood lipids), health behaviors (e.g., eating and activity habits, dietary quality), and psychosocial outcomes (such as self-esteem and body image), and that HAES achieves these health outcomes more successfully than weight loss treatment and without the contraindications associated with a weight focus. This paper evaluates the evidence and rationale that justifies shifting the health care paradigm from a conventional weight focus to HAES.

Does dieting make you fat? A twin study.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21829159

Our results suggest that frequent IWLs (intentional weight loss) reflect susceptibility to weight gain, rendering dieters prone to future weight gain. The results from the MZ pairs discordant for IWLs suggest that dieting itself may induce a small subsequent weight gain, independent of genetic factors.

Sustained self-regulation of energy intake: initial hunger improves insulin sensitivity.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20721291

Background. Excessive energy intake has been implicated in diabetes, hypertension, coronary artery disease, and obesity. Dietary restraint has been unsuccessful as a method for the self-regulation of eating. Recognition of initial hunger (IH) is easily learned, can be validated by associated blood glucose (BG) concentration, and may improve insulin sensitivity. Objective. To investigate whether the initial hunger meal pattern (IHMP) is associated with improved insulin sensitivity over a 5-month period. Methods. Subjects were trained to recognize and validate sensations of IH, then adjust food intake so that initial hunger was present pre-meal at each meal time (IHMP). The purpose was to provide meal-by-meal subjective feedback for self-regulation of food intake. In a randomised trial, we measured blood glucose and calculated insulin sensitivity in 89 trained adults and 31 not-trained controls, before training in the IHMP and 5 months after training. Results. In trained subjects, significant decreases were found in insulin sensitivity index, insulin and BG peaks, glycated haemoglobin, mean pre-meal BG, standard deviation of diary BG (BG as recorded by subjects' 7-day diary), energy intake, BMI, and body weight when compared to control subjects. Conclusion. The IHMP improved insulin sensitivity and other cardiovascular risk factors over a 5-month period.

Keith 10-27-2017 05:40 PM

Fascinating stuff.

Mermaid 10-27-2017 06:27 PM

With a focus on low income

EXPLORING MEDIATORS OF FOOD INSECURITY AND OBESITY: A REVIEW OF RECENT LITERATURE
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3334290/

One in seven American households experience food insecurity at times during the year, lack of money and other resources hinder their ability to maintain consistent access to nutritious foods. Low-income, ethnic minority, and female-headed households exhibit the greatest risk for food insecurity, which often results in higher prevalence of diet-related disease. The food insecurity-obesity paradox is one that researchers have explored to understand the factors that influence food insecurity and its impact on weight change. The aim of this inquiry was to explore new evidence in associations of food insecurity and obesity in youth, adult, and elderly populations. A literature search of publication databases was conducted, using various criteria to identify relevant articles. Among 65 results, 19 studies conducted since 2005 were selected for review. Overall, the review confirmed that food insecurity and obesity continue to be strongly and positively associated in women. Growing evidence of this association was found in adolescents; but among children, results remain mixed. Few studies supported a linear relationship between food insecurity and weight outcomes, as suggested by an earlier review. New mediators were revealed (gender, marital status, stressors, and food stamp participation) that alter the association; in fact, newer studies suggest that food stamp participation may exacerbate obesity outcomes. Continued examination through longitudinal studies, development of tools to distinguish acute and chronic food insecurity, and greater inclusion of food security measurement tools in regional and local studies are warranted.

Food Insecurity Is Associated with Obesity among US Adults in 12 States
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4584410/

A redesigned food insecurity question that measured food stress was included in the 2009 Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System in the Social Context optional module. The objective of our study was to examine the association between food stress and obesity using this question as a surrogate for food insecurity. Our analytic sample included 66,553 adults from 12 states. Food insecurity was determined by response (always/usually/sometimes) to the question,“Howoften in the past 12 months would you say you were worried or stressed about having enough money to buy nutritious meals?” T tests were used to compare prevalence differences between groups, and logistic regression was used to examine the association between food insecurity and obesity. Among the 12 states, the prevalence of obesity was 27.1% overall, 25.2% among food secure adults, and 35.1% among food insecure adults. Food insecure adults had 32% increased odds of being obese compared to food secure adults. Compared with food secure adults, food insecure adults had significantly higher prevalence of obesity in the following population subgroups: adults ages ≥30 years, women, non- Hispanic whites, non-Hispanic blacks, adults with some college education or a college degree, a household income of <$25,000 or $50,000 to $74,999, and adults with none or two children in their households. One in three food insecure adults were obese. Food insecurity was associated with obesity in the overall population and most population subgroups. These findings are consistent with previous research and highlight the importance of increasing access to affordable healthy foods for all adults.

Poverty and obesity: the role of energy density and energy costs
http://seriecientifica.org/sites/def...rtyobesity.pdf

Many health disparities in the United States are linked to inequalities
in education and income. This review focuses on the relation
between obesity and diet quality, dietary energy density, and
energy costs. Evidence is provided to support the following points.
First, the highest rates of obesity occur among population groups
with the highest poverty rates and the least education. Second,
there is an inverse relation between energy density (MJ/kg) and
energy cost ($/MJ), such that energy-dense foods composed of
refined grains, added sugars, or fats may represent the lowest-cost
option to the consumer. Third, the high energy density and palatability
of sweets and fats are associated with higher energy intakes,
at least in clinical and laboratory studies. Fourth, poverty and food
insecurity are associated with lower food expenditures, low fruit
and vegetable consumption, and lower-quality diets. A reduction
in diet costs in linear programming models leads to high-fat,
energy-dense diets that are similar in composition to those consumed
by low-income groups. Such diets are more affordable than
are prudent diets based on lean meats, fish, fresh vegetables, and
fruit. The association between poverty and obesity may be mediated,
in part, by the low cost of energy-dense foods and may be
reinforced by the high palatability of sugar and fat. This economic
framework provides an explanation for the observed links between
socioeconomic variables and obesity when taste, dietary energy
density, and diet costs are used as intervening variables. More and
more Americans are becoming overweight and obese while consuming
more added sugars and fats and spending a lower percentage
of their disposable income on food.

Strong nutrition education can lead to healthier food choices among low-income families
https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...1209104918.htm

Well-designed nutrition education programs can lead to healthier food choices among low-income families who participate in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), according to a study.

Keith 10-27-2017 06:40 PM

How do you mean?

Mermaid 10-27-2017 06:58 PM

Posted all that info mostly for lurkers and maybe Chemda if she is interested enough to read.

Not expecting you to care enough to read it.

Keith 10-28-2017 02:53 PM

It’d be like if someone used to be a pro figure skater and you gave them a bunch of goldfish crackers.

Enunciated Piffle 10-29-2017 04:11 PM

This video, (if you pay attention) reveals the danger in focusing on making obese people feel 100% about their over-eating. She announces her goal of hitting 500 lbs by 30. The fact her mother supports her eating/ looks. Her saying her doctor says she's "perfectly healthy."

These are all lies and they're killing this person. You cannot be obese and not have serious health problems. Most of which result in death. I'm not advocating being a dick to these people. They have an addiction. But it isn't helpful to bullshit them either.

Enunciated Piffle 10-29-2017 04:25 PM

How sad that so many places are literally starving to death and my culture is trying to figure out, (not how to consume less) but to continue outrageous consumption - to the point you have to pop another hole in your stomach because the traditional use of b-hole evacuation, is preventing even more resources from being going into the face hole.