Keith and The Girl Forums

Keith and The Girl Forums (https://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/)
-   Show Talk (https://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/f5/)
-   -   3279: Smile, You’re on Camera (https://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/f5/3279-smile-you-re-camera-21849/)

Rune 06-10-2020 04:04 AM

Lol @ people who menstruate. I’ll admit I need some getting used to on that one.

Self-identity (in terms of gender) and simple biology is getting confused, whether out of malice or not, to the point people are physically describing biological traits for exclusion, or for plain description. What’s next, the original twats and cocks? Wombhavers, ejaculators, uteruskeepers, ballowners?

On the other other hand, transfolk have it hard, so I get not needing to fight them on a descriptor (woman), but it’s still funny (and absurd) to have to fight to be called a woman now.

Keith 06-10-2020 06:33 AM

Sure. How’d you hold it in these last 2 weeks?

(Somehow J.K. couldn’t)

Eliiiii 06-10-2020 10:58 AM

Don't forget, the thing she responded to said "...women, girls and people who have periods." Then she goes off on how it erases women. But like... Did you read? I thought you were a writer, but you can't read??

Rune 06-10-2020 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith (Post 883813)
Sure. How’d you hold it in these last 2 weeks?

(Somehow J.K. couldn’t)

Considering trans people are dying from being wantonly murdered in the US, conflict over something like this is misplaced. But it’s hard to disagree with her, bc she’s technically right. So long as there’s a conflict of the same word being a placeholder for both gender self-identity vs. its biological definition, there’ll be people who parse that out.

It’s like the phenomenon of people having a problem with word “feminist” in terms of equal rights for women, only this time the word in question has a biological definition too, so it just makes it more fucked. It’s kinda ridiculous to refer to women in the context of hygiene products as “people who menstruate” when you can just call us, idk, women. It isn’t even trans-exclusionary. I mean, if they wanted to get that granular, there were always women who weren't menstruating and no one ever needed that qualifier...until now. I don’t view it as something to get fired up about, but I still get it.

Eliiiii 06-10-2020 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rune (Post 883818)
It’s kinda ridiculous to refer to women in the context of hygiene products as “people who menstruate” when you can just call us, idk, women. It isn’t even trans-exclusionary. I mean, if they wanted to get that granular, there were always women who weren't menstruating and no one ever needed that qualifier...until now. I don’t view it as something to get fired up about, but I still get it.

The exact thing she responded to said "An estimated 1.8 billion girls, women, and gender non-binary persons menstruate..." Truly, could not have been more inclusive. Just saying "women" excludes trans men & enbys. It's not complicated at all!

Jay86 06-10-2020 11:27 PM

I've heard that Kimberly Jones speech twice now and twice it made me well up. Incredible.

Rune 06-11-2020 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eliiiii (Post 883819)
The exact thing she responded to said "An estimated 1.8 billion girls, women, and gender non-binary persons menstruate..." Truly, could not have been more inclusive. Just saying "women" excludes trans men & enbys. It's not complicated at all!

Thx Eli. She was addressing the title, which is objectively a crazy title. I’m curious to know what you think about her opinion piece. It’s super long, so maybe that’s not something you’d want to do. But it really provides a lot of insight. It’s interesting to watch people flaming her.

Lanfear 06-11-2020 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rune (Post 883828)
Thx Eli. She was addressing the title, which is objectively a crazy title. I’m curious to know what you think about her opinion piece. It’s super long, so maybe that’s not something you’d want to do. But it really provides a lot of insight. It’s interesting to watch people flaming her.

First of all - anybody who just reads a title and then freaks out about it needs to learn some basic communication skills which as a writer she should have.

So if you find it so 'interesting' I'd love to hear how exactly you feel about this and comment on her 'arguments'

dankumar89 06-11-2020 11:23 AM

I live in Bristol, UK and was at the protests last Sunday.

Finally that statue has come down, there have been sooo many petitions, debates, etc and this is what it took to tear it down. Edward Colston was responsible for a lot of the buildings and institutions in Bristol, some are being renamed. The school named after him has removed their statue of him and apparently have made sure that the slave trade and Colstons involvement in it is taught in their lessons.

As many people that are happy about it, I've got so many friends who it turns out are so close minded and blinkered they can even see beyond their privilege. Worst of all my own mother, who is a mother to half black half Asian kids is on the Trump side of the fence.

Eliiiii 06-11-2020 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rune (Post 883828)

Her essay is totally ridiculous. And if you don't know why, I highly recommend watching Contrapoints' YouTube video called "Gender Critical" which will explain why JKRs "reasoning" is just BS.