Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums What's My Name

What's My Name The Girl's show

Old 07-26-2012, 05:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Chamsa! Chamsa!

31: Trippin'

Comedian Myq Kaplan and actor Lauren Hennessy take us on a trip of their good and bad experiences on mushrooms.

Lauren Hennessy

Official Site of Comedian Myq Kaplan

This entire show is available on KATG VIP along with...

Access to over 2,700 Keith and The Girl in-studio episodes dating back to March 2005.

Constantly updated VIP only podcasts, bonus shows and special offers including:
  • Chemda's What's My Name podcast
  • Keith's My Name Is Keith podcast
  • What Do We Do Now?
  • Andrea's WHAT'S UP, A?
  • Flavor of the Month
  • Bottoms Up with Hennessy
  • Myq Kaplan's Super Hang
  • That's the Show with Danny!
  • The Brother Love Owwwr!
  • Myka Fox & Friends
  • INTERNment podcast
  • All KATGtv episodes
  • A look back with KATG Beginnings episodes
  • Special discounts and offers

Click here to get more info about KATG VIP!

Last edited by MichaelApproved; 12-13-2012 at 10:57 PM.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

This was a good show. I think it is important as a parent to have had some of these experiences. All of the drugs and alcohol I have used, I did after I didn't live with my parents anymore. I moved out when I was 18. I started drinking immediately and then soon after started smoking weed. When I was 20, I worked in a restaurant where the head chef had access to pretty much any drug available. He took me under his wing and I tried mushrooms (twice), cocaine (about 10 times), several different kinds of pills, ectasy (twice), and LSD (1 time) all under the watchful eye of he and his wife. I was glad I experienced all of those things, but knew I didn't have the money or the time to continue to use any of these things to any extent and because my mom and grandpa were both alcoholics, I was more scared about becoming addicted to something than I was afraid of having a bad trip.

My experience with mushrooms was fun and I used some of my altered experiences as ideas for my college English writing assignments. It just seemed to expand my ability to think creatively.

I remembered hearing about the depression study Myq was citing on NPR and found this info on their website.

Your Brain On Psilocybin Might Be Less Depressed : Shots - Health Blog : NPR
Old 07-31-2012, 12:24 AM   #3 (permalink)

I had to leave and so posted the first post before I finished all my thoughts.

I think people like Myq and Lauren are rare. They are both so intelligent, in control, motivated, and have common sense. As a parent, I certainly did not want my stepson to use any substances while he was living at home. I didn't think he could handle it, but he, of course, started drinking and got into all kinds of trouble with it, including a DWI. Things still aren't good and I don't know what other drugs he has used.

I'm not like Keith thinking that we need to outlaw booze and violent movies and everything that can lead people into trouble. I think they're have been dangerous substances, weapons, and associations since the beginning of time. I think it's part of life to navigate through it and conquer your demons the best you can. Prohibition didn't work. Whatever we outlaw, something new that's an equal problem will replace it. Living life is a risk.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
myq

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallulahB View Post
I think people like Myq and Lauren are rare. They are both so intelligent, in control, motivated, and have common sense. As a parent, I certainly did not want my stepson to use any substances while he was living at home. I didn't think he could handle it, but he, of course, started drinking and got into all kinds of trouble with it, including a DWI. Things still aren't good and I don't know what other drugs he has used.
Thanks for saying nice things. Though I don't think Lauren and I are alone in having common sense.

Part of the problem in our society is that people lump "drugs" or "substances" together. Drinking has definitively different effects than pot or mushrooms.

If we tell kids a blanket statement that all drugs have adverse effects, and then they try pot and see that it doesn't do all that much, I think that THAT could have the biggest adverse effect. Pot's not a gateway but lying about pot and grouping pot with other actual more dangerous substances COULD be one.

I think we talked about this, but I'm certainly not for anyone of any age to do any drug at any time. But I am for parents to be able to speak honestly to their kids about it, talk about why it's important to have rules with age limits, because sometimes we DON'T know how a substance will affect a younger person's brain. If you have alcohol too early, you get fetal alcohol syndrome. If you have it when you're a grown-up, you don't.

I'm for good honest parenting, and also for people to try things when they're ready for them under as ideal circumstances as possible.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

Myq: What are the bad things you've heard about synthetics? I actually prefer tabs, paper, sugarcubes, etc. to mushrooms. I totally get what you're saying about wanting to stick to the natural stuff, but synthetics don't give me any of the stomach issues I always get from mushrooms. Even if I refrain from eating for a long time beforehand I tend to get stomach pain. This can cause me to get nervous in the beginning before I jump out of it. With acid, the dosage is easy and the trip lasts a bit longer.

Great episode guys, Lauren and Myq sound like good people to take a trip with. I haven't done so myself in a couple of years and you got me itching to do so again. Thinking my next trip will be a dosage and a day at the MET!
Old 07-31-2012, 03:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
myq

Quote:
Originally Posted by dead_mixed_tape View Post
Myq: What are the bad things you've heard about synthetics? I actually prefer tabs, paper, sugarcubes, etc. to mushrooms. I totally get what you're saying about wanting to stick to the natural stuff, but synthetics don't give me any of the stomach issues I always get from mushrooms. Even if I refrain from eating for a long time beforehand I tend to get stomach pain. This can cause me to get nervous in the beginning before I jump out of it. With acid, the dosage is easy and the trip lasts a bit longer.

Great episode guys, Lauren and Myq sound like good people to take a trip with. I haven't done so myself in a couple of years and you got me itching to do so again. Thinking my next trip will be a dosage and a day at the MET!
I honestly don't know the source of my apprehension about synthetics. It must come from various propaganda machines that put certain ideas in my head, that acid trips can have bad flashbacks later that you can't control, plus the general idea that "chemicals" are worse for you than "natural" stuff, even though chemicals appear in nature, and not everything that's natural is good for you (e.g. arsenic). So I'm aiming to shed my prejudice, and I think I will try acid at some point, if I can get some from someone whose judgment I respect and trust as far as what's in it being what's supposed to be (which is another concern, for any drug really, if it's not regulated and you don't know where it came from exactly).

Thanks for your thoughts and nice words!
Old 08-03-2012, 09:19 AM   #7 (permalink)

Pretty solid episode. I feel like I can relate to Myq and Lauren pretty well on a lot of these topics. I did a LOT of research before I decided to do it. Even now, I only really do it once a year at most. At the moment it has been about a year and a half since I last did them. It's a really powerful thing that you need to be prepared for before you dive in. Always go in with a positive attitude. Whatever emotion you take into it will be amplified. They don't make you crazy, they just bring whatever you've got to the surface.

I believe the reason orange juice can bring you out of, or intensify a trip, is because the citric acid breaks down the psilocybin faster. If you take it at the beginning of a trip it will be more intense but shorter, toward the end it can bring you out of it faster. I have usually done it with lemon juice in the past but either should be fine. Use fresh squeezed if at all possible too.

An eighth is about 3.5 grams. Generally when I do it I take around 7 grams. I do it alone in the apartment just laying in bed, lights out, no music, no tv. I've done the walking around outside thing which is nice but your mind can take you to even more amazing places. People have said I'm insane for doing this and that's probably true. Since I do it so infrequently I just go all out. I have had some tough trips but overall it's really not a big deal. I can work my way through it. It's kinda like lucid dreaming in that environment.. you are trying to steer your mind in different directions.

I've done a bunch of other psychedelics but mushrooms were always the best for me. I feel like they are more emotional and less speedy, more wavy. One time I cried for hours. Nothing was wrong, quite the opposite. I was realizing how much I love everyone.

Also, I'm not condoning it but growing your own is not difficult, expensive, or noticeable at all.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:11 AM   #8 (permalink)
24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Well done on a great episode Chemda and also Myq and Lauren for being cool and informative.

The debate about whether or not to tell your kids reminded me of this song which is funny and is about what to tell your kids

Inquiring Minds - Hamell On Trial - YouTube
Old 08-10-2012, 12:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
myq

[QUOTE=thelastknowngod;728639]I believe the reason orange juice can bring you out of, or intensify a trip, is because the citric acid breaks down the psilocybin faster. If you take it at the beginning of a trip it will be more intense but shorter, toward the end it can bring you out of it faster. I have usually done it with lemon juice in the past but either should be fine. Use fresh squeezed if at all possible too./QUOTE]

Thanks for the info! Sincerely appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imatami View Post
Well done on a great episode Chemda and also Myq and Lauren for being cool and informative.
Well done on a wonderful comment and also Lauren and Chemda for a great episode.
Old 08-11-2012, 02:18 PM   #10 (permalink)

Totes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myq View Post
If we tell kids a blanket statement that all drugs have adverse effects, and then they try pot and see that it doesn't do all that much, I think that THAT could have the biggest adverse effect. Pot's not a gateway but lying about pot and grouping pot with other actual more dangerous substances COULD be one.
I completely agree with this. The reason that marijuana IS a gateway is because we Lump it in with alcohol, cocaine and heroin. Oh pot isn't so bad. Maybe I could try coke. That wasn't so bad either lemme try all this other shit I've been told not to try! We need to treat it as a different substance than other substances. Same with mushrooms. But especially pot. It's funny how PILLS and perscriptions aren't spoken about in the same cautious way.