Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums What's My Name

What's My Name The Girl's show

Old 12-14-2011, 05:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Chamsa! Chamsa!

15: Death

Comedian Jesse Joyce, musician Brother Love, and actor Lauren Hennessy talk about the premature deaths of their loved ones.

Jesse Joyce

facebook.com/brotherlove

Lauren Hennessy

What's My Name Show

This entire show is available on KATG VIP along with...

Access to over 2,700 Keith and The Girl in-studio episodes dating back to March 2005.

Constantly updated VIP only podcasts, bonus shows and special offers including:
  • Chemda's What's My Name podcast
  • Keith's My Name Is Keith podcast
  • What Do We Do Now?
  • Andrea's WHAT'S UP, A?
  • Flavor of the Month
  • Bottoms Up with Hennessy
  • Myq Kaplan's Super Hang
  • That's the Show with Danny!
  • The Brother Love Owwwr!
  • Myka Fox & Friends
  • INTERNment podcast
  • All KATGtv episodes
  • A look back with KATG Beginnings episodes
  • Special discounts and offers

Click here to get more info about KATG VIP!

Last edited by MichaelApproved; 12-13-2012 at 10:55 PM.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 03:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

what a beautiful episode. human and sweet and not tear jerkin at all (even if i felt like tearing up a bit for my own reasons).

love all the episodes, for the topic and the guests but this one and the one with lucas are the ones where i really felt that special empathy Chemda has. i feel like shes a person i could open myself to, and i never even met her.

PS: goddamn Jesse, though. hardcore new yortk comedian to the bitter end. "i guess my death isnt that good compared to yours, huh..."
Old 12-18-2011, 10:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

At first I kind of discounted Lauren's and Jesse's experience versus BroLo's because of the nature of death of a family member versus the death of a friend. But in many ways, Lauren's experience was the most intense and the separation she had to suffer after the death is pretty heartbreaking.

Jesse's experience is interesting in that he was so connected to Greg professionally and I'm sure so few to this day realize it.

I had a friend that died in 9/11 and a few days after I called his house and his girlfriend picked up. I had never met her, even though I should have at that point. I asked her if she had heard from Steve and she of course had not. She wanted to know if I had heard anything and I of course had not. We knew of each other through Steve. All I could say on the phone was, "I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'm so sorry." (Damn, crying writing this.) Now we have no connection and we could literally run into each other and not even know it.

Our connections in this world seem so strong, but in actuality are so loosely based. The only one that really understands what our connections mean to us is ourselves. And that kinda sucks.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

Another Aces Plus Gem Mint 10 Upper Echelon Mark McGwire Rookie Card Episode!

I'm also glad that Chemda brought up the situation with Dool and his sister. It really made us feel weird and uncomfortable, and I agree with the room: not nice.

Thank you all for sharing. What I took away from the show was that if it looks like friends or family are even about to catch a cold, run. Run to somewhere happy as fast as you can.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:21 AM   #5 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

I was dreading listening to this episode and avoided it for a little while because it seemed like it could be a huge bummer but it turns out it's impossible not to enjoy hearing Chemda talk with Laurenland, Jesse and BroLo no matter what the subject is.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

I too have only just listened to this episode because I wasn't sure how I would go listening to BroLo's account of his Mum.

Having stared down terminal illness a couple times in my life now, I live each day with a small part of me that wonders when I'm gonna have to do it all over again.

WMN is easily the most important radio show I've ever listened to and this episode typifies why. It's honest, it's love and it's truth.

Bloody hell Bless you all.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:20 AM   #7 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean from Australia View Post
Having stared down terminal illness a couple times in my life now, I live each day with a small part of me that wonders when I'm gonna have to do it all over again.
And with your line of work you must come face to face with it on a regular basis Dean.

I feel similar about (physical) trauma. When I was eleven I witnessed two cars collide head-on and in the moments which followed literally watched three people die, one as my mother administered first aid. Those three were strangers to me but in 2009 a woman I knew quite well died in front of me after falling from a deck, this time with me trying to help save her. She was fit, healthy and vivacious but within 15 minutes she was gone and the world had changed. Coming face-to-face with sudden death can't help but make you see life and mortality differently.

All that stuff about saving phone messages rang very true for me too. I not only do the same thing, I've "interviewed" my parents on video and back in the day I did the same thing with my Oma (grandma in Dutch). She died in 2006 and now the most precious thing I own now are those videos of her telling stories of her life.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:33 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucho View Post
And with your line of work you must come face to face with it on a regular basis Dean.

I feel similar about (physical) trauma. When I was eleven I witnessed two cars collide head-on and in the moments which followed literally watched three people die, one as my mother administered first aid. Those three were strangers to me but in 2009 a woman I knew quite well died in front of me after falling from a deck, this time with me trying to help save her. She was fit, healthy and vivacious but within 15 minutes she was gone and the world had changed. Coming face-to-face with sudden death can't help but make you see life and mortality differently.

All that stuff about saving phone messages rang very true for me too. I not only do the same thing, I've "interviewed" my parents on video and back in the day I did the same thing with my Oma (grandma in Dutch). She died in 2006 and now the most precious thing I own now are those videos of her telling stories of her life.
Yeah, exposure to death on the job is pretty much a job requirement. I can (sadly) recall every one of them and they do imprint on you. I carry alot of survivor guilt too, having watched patients succumb because of their treatment while I got through it - I didn't take much time off when I relapsed the second time in 2008.

I can only imagine the trauma you must have gone through, having witnessed that terrible accident and having to deal with the immediate passing. And I guess the impact of that experience wouldn't necessarily have hit you immediately either. I hope you were given the opportunity to work through that.

I was at my grand father's side when he died in 1993 and it wasn't peaceful. Having fought adenocarcinoma for 18 months, Pa died fighing for every last breath, drowning in fluid filled lungs.

I mistakenly went to see him in state at the funeral home afterwards and came away wishing I hadn't. It wasn't him in the casket. They'd made him up too wierdly and it was just wrong.

Strangely, I rather the images of him fighting for those last breaths over his body in the casket. While the last living hours were horrible - they were living hours...if that makes any sense.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

This was a great, yet hard, episode. I lost my dad a year ago to cancer, so I could identify with the stories, especially Brother Love’s. I’m still grieving, and I can’t believe it’s already a year. But shows like this help you remember that we’re all in it together, and everyone gets touched by grief at different points in their life. Thanks for the show Chemda, and all of the guests. The BroLo song at the end was awesome too.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
Administrator
24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

I'm a few episodes behind this one but I'm not sure if I'm ready to listen to it yet. Even though the roster is chock full of awesome guests, think this might be a bit too much for me to get through.