Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums My Name Is Keith

My Name Is Keith Keith's show

Like Tree14Likes

Old 08-07-2012, 11:29 PM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron View Post
This was an interesting show. I usually like Kyle, but he has to stop muttering. He sounds like an irresponsible stoner who doesn't care about anything, where McNalley actually sounds like he's passionate about things.

It was really ironic. The reality is the opposite.

Kyle lost points with me this show and McNally won points. Kyle needs to sound like less of a stoner and more serious. He's awesome, but a dud on My Name Is Keet.
All three of them were drunk! On top of that, Kyle had already rode his bike around NYC for 8 hours and hadn't eaten. He kept saying he was tired. Yea, he sounded slowed down, but most of what he said made a ton of sense.

"Keet" was also making sense for the most part.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 04:07 AM   #32 (permalink)

Fuck your shit!

To a certain extent, I get where McNally is coming from. My mother had eleven brothers and sisters. One of them died from lead poisoning as a young kid. They suffered in poverty, had to share clothing to the point where the boys couldn't go to school every day because they didn't have enough boys shoes to go around, and the list goes on, including severe beatings and emotional torture at the hands of my grandfather. They were in New York so, of course, they couldn't have had it as bad as McNally's family. (McNally, you can't distill suffering down to any objective financial measure and tell people what they have a right to feel.)

Coming from a family like this can leave you with some emotional baggage. Hearing the stories of any survivors, you being the next generation who's supposed to make the struggle somewhat worthwhile, can be heavy. Really, I wonder what kinds of stories were being passed down to McNally that he is so affected by the struggles of the people before him. Maybe they were passed down to him in an inappropriate way. "After Sesame Street, Mommy's gonna strap you down and tell you all about how she fought her way tooth and nail out of abject poverty just for YOU!" I'm being kind of an asshole here, but I'm also serious. McNally needs to examine how and why he feels so intensely about this.

My family doesn't try to guilt trip me about their horrific past. Still, I sometimes feel guilty about addressing my own problems handed me by own life, because I know how bad it can be for people. And I know that even my family didn't have it as bad as it can be. Still, we've got people in and out of jail, homelessness, decades of drug and alcohol abuse, and mental illness as constant reminders of the shit they suffered. And that lays a nice layer of fucked up for the next generation to muddle around in.

Kyle's words are very wise! He may be making it seem slightly more simple than it is, but ultimately we have no choice but to own ourselves. We can't take on responsibility for other people's lives, or pasts that had ZERO to do with us. I hope McNally takes that shit seriously!

Regarding the whole 1% thing, I think Kyle's kind of on to something. We're not all struggling as much as Kyle, but we all do have to struggle. Unless we are really lucky, we can't just stop moving. A few days of that, for a lot of us, and we end up on the street or unfairly taking from the strained resources of people nice enough to pick up our slack.

I am better off than Kyle because I have a job with benefits, and paid leave and that kind of shit. But, for that you gotta settle for a life of slow brain death (office work). You can take days off to try and ease the depression of the waste of life that is the day to day, but take too many and you're at risk of being out on your ass. We all HAVE to keep grinding on. There are ways to free ourselves a little, but in the end we gotta eat, have shelter, pay for water and electricity and all of the fucking bills and debt we accumulated before we were adults and knew better (student loans-kill me), plus any extras that we may need to keep moving (I need therapy to keep my shit in order).

Mental gymnastics can free us from some of our seeming burdens. We could do with less stuff, and buy ourselves more freedom a bit that way. Some burdens are part of lifestyle. They seem necessary, but are choices. But some are unavoidable. I can't think my way out of the massive debt I accidentally landed in when my head was still soft.

Poverty is an entirely different ballgame, but we all can relate to struggle to keep our lives afloat, and to limitations to our choices since true free choice is reserved for a very privileged few.

McNally, the only reasonable response to what your family endured is sympathy. I think you'd be a lot less miserable if you allowed people to relate to you and stop isolating yourself in what you think is one of a kind experience.

Also, you're incredibly fucking lucky. Use your mom's money for therapy. That's not meant in a mean way.

We need to start a Kyle's Reuben Sandwich fund.

In the end, GREAT SHOW!

I yelled at McNally while sitting at my desk at work. Yes, I'm that weirdo. This thing was intense! You people are amazing at this show business!

WHERE'S PART 2?!

Last edited by Kimberly; 08-08-2012 at 04:10 AM.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:38 AM   #33 (permalink)
24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer

"I found my shoes . . " - Keith McNally

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianAlt View Post
To be fair, here is a picture of McNally growing up. None of us really know how bad he had it...

dude, his mom is way hotter that I thought she'd be

to all previous posters, i love you

Kyle, please mumble more and not into the mic as much

McNally validated everything I've felt about him; delusional spoiled child. I love the guy and feel him but, yikes, grow a pair and buy a clue with your mom's money.

keet was so impressive, knows his audience, is his 'brand' and rhino-wrangled like the true pro he is. Loved how he put the kibosh of the Maron smack talk

So, I started this ep as I hit the road home from a consult with a spinal/neuro surgeon in New Britain, CT. At the point where McNally started to sob over mention of his brother and keet's measured response is, "Shots! . . that's why we do this . . "
If I wasn't hammering up I90 south of Worcester I would have given a standing ovation.

best show ever did
John F. O'Donnel, KATG Show #1127 @01:35:33
"I will hammer-fuck you with my cock of destiny."
"The most powerful force in the universe is irony." - jdb, 1994 "Ignorance is never not arrogant." - jdb, 2007

Last edited by dEadERest; 08-08-2012 at 07:45 AM.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:16 AM   #34 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjamis View Post
You like watching train wrecks?
What?
Old 08-08-2012, 08:40 AM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianAlt View Post
This episode made me like McNally more. Not sure what that says.
YOU. LIKE. WATCHING. TRAIN. WRECKS.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:48 AM   #36 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjamis View Post
YOU. LIKE. WATCHING. TRAIN. WRECKS.
You're very interesting to talk to. Have a nice day.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:44 AM   #37 (permalink)
24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer

enjoy
Old 08-08-2012, 05:04 PM   #38 (permalink)

I wish my uncle was poor enough to have 2 trailers.

As remember it from Keith McNally own podcast, grow up a video game nerd, lived in a 3 story house with the third floor to his self. His pet rat had its own room to destroy. Also, it's kind of interesting when the quality of life is measured in big macks.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:17 AM   #39 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

McNally knows what it's like

Yeah, so I spent an evening doing this. Chirbit - McNally knows what it's like

I was struck by how many times he said the phrase "know what it's like"
Upstate likes this.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:45 AM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotticus View Post
Yeah, so I spent an evening doing this. Chirbit - McNally knows what it's like

I was struck by how many times he said the phrase "know what it's like"
Ohmygod.