Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Do you like going out by yourself?
Yes 21 63.64%
No 12 36.36%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Keith

Old 01-04-2017, 06:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

2541: Party of One

with Robert Dean – Robert’s museum; how to shut down small talk; stealing from hotels; going out alone; Keith skydives; Kissing on New Year’s Eve; Mariah Carey’s New Year’s non-performance; Avril Lavigne vs. Mark Zuckerberg

Guest:
Robert Dean

Share this episode: Twitter, Facebook & email

Get the show: on iTunes, on Stitcher and RSS feed
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 09:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

So on the rating system with Uber and Lyft-I was briefly a driver part time for both platforms-what the riders don't know is that the drivers are at risk of being deactivated if their rating gets below 4.6. It is expected that the driver is to give 5 star service at all times. The only reason for drivers to give passengers 1 stars is for them to be complete assholes and the driver never wants to be paired with the rider again-in theory this is how it is supposed to work. The whole system is fucked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-05-2017, 11:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

Be sure you're seeing pictures on our app or website. His roller coaster pictures are the best!

Anyone have skydiving hassle like I have? I picture it must seem like I'm complaining about the greatest thing ever.
FingerLakes likes this.
Old 01-05-2017, 02:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer

Not usually. I like going to the movies alone and out to eat but things that are social, bars or parties, I'd rather go with friends. Partially to have a buffer, partially cuz its easier to socialize (for me) when you're with other people.
Old 01-05-2017, 07:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer

Static Line Dive

When I was 21 I was in Hong Kong with my job and one of my colleagues suggested going parachuting. He took a few of us to the airbase where he trained. We spent the morning learning about how to steer the chute and how to land. Then we jumped off tables and stuff to practice the land-and-roll techniques.

At 2:30 we got into the plane, a Cessna with overhead wing. at 2500ft the first jumper got out. I was 3rd and I got out at 2,900ft.

The static line means that the chute is tied by a high-tensile nylon thread to the plane and as you let go of the wing-strut the chute pulls out of the pack. So there's no freefall, but you don't have the baby bjorn feeling of having some dude strapped to your back.

The descent was less than 5 minutes, but it's all up to you to steer down and land. They had a huge fluorescent arrow on the ground that they rotated to show the best way to approach the airstrip landing site.

One of the best experiences of my life. I jumped again on the Sunday .... even better.

Last edited by Mattman; 01-09-2017 at 07:24 PM.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer

That's yes to everything, EP. They try to bring you in so your speed is not too much when you land because with the training chutes you are supposed to land and roll, rather than try to run like with a rectangular chute which has a faster forward speed.

For static line and training chutes they drop from 2400 to 3000 ft just in case you have any problems, as you would drift too far from the landing spot as you have the chute open all the time.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:56 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Be sure you're seeing pictures on our app or website. His roller coaster pictures are the best!

Anyone have skydiving hassle like I have? I picture it must seem like I'm complaining about the greatest thing ever.
I did a tandem jump many years ago. It was the greatest thing ever.

You are right that it's all about the free fall - the parachute descent is nothing to right home about.