Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 10-07-2012, 05:50 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Dukes View Post
So, what denomination are you basing your opinions on? If you're both coming from different places, then you can't both be right in assuming one has a majority over the other. I'm saying that, according to you, Keith sees Catholicism as the majority, but you think he's speaking from a minority, which makes you the majority. Both can't be true. In reality, it's all coming from the same Bible. You can't tell me one denomination has a different Bible from the next, but for sure they interpret it differently. Thing is, the differences in opinion are either minimal or superficial. A Protestant isn't gonna be like, "Nuh-uh! The second and third commandments are backwards!" That shit is there and that's the shit that puts all Christians in the same box as long as they believe in the Bible. The differences aren't in moral issues, they are in material and wordly issues that have been twisted into moral issues like Mary, the Pope, rituals, and other meaningless things. At their core, they are alike.
The problem I have with Keith is that he makes a broad statement in saying that 'You can't be a good Christian and a good person'. This is complete bunk. I theorize that he bases is opinion on his upbringing as a Catholic, which has a dogma based on the bible being the absolute truth. I can attest that many sects of Christianity see the bible as a guideline and that Christ's word abolishes the laws of the Old Testament. Following Christ requires you to love God and love your neighbor. The rest is commentary.

But again, please answer my question. I am sincerely quizzical. Would you be ok with the content of the show being mostly anti-religious?

Last edited by Greg In Oakland; 10-07-2012 at 05:53 PM.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:51 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Keith is a smart dude. He sees the hypocrisy. We all see it. I was raised foot washing baptist, a teensy niche of Christianity, but I'm still able to call a spade a spade. It's the same God. It's the same Jesus. It's the same birthright. It's the same exploitation.

and, no, what's happening is painfully current and on-going. he's verbally thrashing the money changers. good on him. very christlike.
But why is this seemingly the only topic we ever hear about? Is he creating a bully pulpit in order to hate on (ironically) the religious?
Old 10-07-2012, 05:52 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoArmsJames View Post
You're the kind of douchenozzle who writes atheist podcasts complaining about their lack of faith, aren't you?
What are you talking about?
Old 10-07-2012, 06:15 PM   #24 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg In Oakland View Post
Would you be ok with the content of the show being mostly anti-religious?
Yes.

And don't be throwing the a-word around so liberally. Only atheists can call each other the a-word.

Chracker.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:15 PM   #25 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
But why is this seemingly the only topic we ever hear about? Is he creating a bully pulpit in order to hate on (ironically) the religious?
Who else do you want him to hate on? Would you be happy if he trash talked atheists and spends lots of time explaining how evolution is bullshit? Maybe you want him to go back to hating on other countries? I didn't hear you complain during the USA #1 mania.

You are just annoyed it is something you are interested in this time so either suck it up or stop listening this is not the "only stuff Greg finds funny show"
Plus if you have been listening for as long as your forums membership implies you should know that topics come and go.

Also I 100% agree with lovely Sparrow: Angry Keith is delighful!
Old 10-07-2012, 06:32 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
And even if it's an out right majority, my issue is that Keith states 'all' religious people are bad and/or evil. Which in the case of myself, and the hundreds of people of the two churches I have attended in my life, is not true.
I don't know how long you have been a listener for, but in case you haven't guessed by now, Keith's opinions should be taken with a very large grain of salt. Sometimes he's right, sometimes he's so wrong he's ridiculous. Keith couldn't begin to know what all religious people think. Why do you care so much about what he thinks?

Quote:
Also, my issue is not who is right and who is wrong, and should time be given to point out a group's hypocrisy. My issue is, why so much? Why every episode? Is this what we should expect for the rest of this show's tenure? Has the format of the show permanently changed?
Because it's always going to be a hot-button issue. People will always have something to talk about when it comes to religion. And for a team that puts on 5-8 hours per week of live, original talk show material, why would they shy away from something that continues to spark conversation?

Quote:
And you have still not answered my question; Keith should absolutely continue ranting about whatever he wishes. I would not have lasted 1600 shows if I didn't find it entertaining. But does focusing on one subject for so long make the show stale?
Just like Keith's opinions are completely subjective, so are yours. No one really thinks this topic is stale because we continue to talk about it. And if you're like me, and you feel like they're droning on and on about something that you don't care about (for me, it's pot smoking), then either FF through the show or skip it altogether.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:22 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanfear View Post
Who else do you want him to hate on? Would you be happy if he trash talked atheists and spends lots of time explaining how evolution is bullshit? Maybe you want him to go back to hating on other countries? I didn't hear you complain during the USA #1 mania.

You are just annoyed it is something you are interested in this time so either suck it up or stop listening this is not the "only stuff Greg finds funny show"
Plus if you have been listening for as long as your forums membership implies you should know that topics come and go.

Also I 100% agree with lovely Sparrow: Angry Keith is delighful!
I'm annoyed that the show has become a one subject podcast. I don't expect to agree or be entertained by 100% of any of the comedy podcasts I listen to. And of course I am annoyed that the one subject is bashing a group I associate with, especially since Keith's assessment is not accurate. Why is that so odd? My question is, would everyone be happy if the podcast was 100% bash religious people. That's the sole purpose of this thread. While no one has answered directly, the answer seems pretty clear.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:30 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyuilani View Post
Just like Keith's opinions are completely subjective, so are yours. No one really thinks this topic is stale because we continue to talk about it. And if you're like me, and you feel like they're droning on and on about something that you don't care about (for me, it's pot smoking), then either FF through the show or skip it altogether.
I've been listening since show 91, and I've listened to them all.

Your post is absolutely fair and accurate. And I do fast forward through subjects I am uncomfortable with or find boring (which have been very few until recently). The problem is that of late, I have fast-forwarded through a quarter or more of every episode for the last month and change.

I don't want to resort to an infantile 'I'll take my ball and go home' attitude and just say, "I'm going to unsubscribe!". I really don't want to. There has been too much good content over the years. But I am truly curious as to whether or not Keith is appeasing the majority of the audience by make the majority of the discussion religion bashing.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:32 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
The problem I have with Keith is that he makes a broad statement in saying that 'You can't be a good Christian and a good person'. This is complete bunk. I theorize that he bases is opinion on his upbringing as a Catholic, which has a dogma based on the bible being the absolute truth. I can attest that many sects of Christianity see the bible as a guideline and that Christ's word abolishes the laws of the Old Testament. Following Christ requires you to love God and love your neighbor. The rest is commentary.

But again, please answer my question. I am sincerely quizzical. Would you be ok with the content of the show being mostly anti-religious?
Give me five "sects" that reject the Old Testament. I'm sure you could come up with five mega-churches somewhere that have a couple hundred attendees and got some media coverage in the nineties, but there is no abundance of major denominations that do any such thing. This is America, where a whole lot of kid's parents brought them up Christian, me included. You're parading around like you're the only kid on these forums that is or was a Christian or was brought up in a Christian household. We're not ignorant of what Christianity is. Sodom and Gomorrah. First book of the Bible. Boom. Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve. Genesis. Pow. "It is an abomination." Leviticus. Sha-zam! There is a whole giant segment of this country that believes gay marriage should not be legal. What the fuck is their stance based on? It's not based on the actions of Jesus Christ. It's based on passages from the Bible in the Old Testament. Baptist, Methodist, Catholic, Protestant, African Methodist Episcopal. I don't care which one you pick out of a hat. Dump every Christian into that hat--good or bad, and even this supposed population of people who denounce the Old Testament--and you're going to get something like one of those 99% of the time. I'm not a scientist, and I don't have any statistical research, but I would bet you so many dollars (so many dollars lol) that it would be more than 50%, more than 60%, more than 70%, and more than 80%. (All I'm saying is to chill before you go railing me for naming percentages. You know exactly what I mean. LeBron James up in here.)

But, let's take these people who denounce the Old Testament. They're out there. I believe you. I was one of them my freshman year of high school, though I didn't look at it so specifically. They've got their beliefs. They may even be pro gay marriage and choice and all that bullshit. They're good people, and you may even consider them good Christians. That's what Keith is trying to say. These people aren't bad people, but they aren't good Christians according to the Bible, because they don't adhere to everything in there. So, they've got a different Bible. So, let's throw these people out of the equation. You have your Catholics and your Methodists and whoever, and they all believe in the Bible, but maybe some of them don't agree with everything that's in it. These people are practicing Methodists, yet they think gay marriage should not be banned. That's a good person but a bad Methodist. To be Methodist, you have to believe certain things. To be Protestant, you have to believe certain things. To call yourself Protestant and not practice according to your doctrine, you are a bad Protestant. The fact of the matter is that most Christian denominations do believe the Old Testament. There aren't enough out there to even bring them into the picture, and if you think so, and if that's your point, then you need to just say that shit and stop bickering with everyone who tries to explain it to you. That's a minute technicality in what is an overarchingly homogeneous system of beliefs.

I don't even care if you change your mind about any of this. That's not the point of discussion. The point of discussion is to learn, grow, and maybe solidify your own views, but no joy for either party can come from trying to change the other person's mind. You're not going to budge, and I'm not trying to make you switch over to the dark side or anything, but I really have to know if you even get what Keith and a lot of people here are trying to say. Technicalities aside, crazy middle-America sects aside, whether or not Keith's argument is right or wrong, do you at least get the picture? Do you know what we're trying to say? Because, honestly, you're coming across as dense, ignorant, petty, and instigating.

Oh, and again, you're right that Keith is generalizing, but that's because this truly is a general portion of the population and even the population of Christians. He's lumping in a lot of different people when he says "Christians", but his point is obvious. You know exactly what he means. He means the majority of Christians. It looks like you're upset that he is talking in general, but when you break it down and exclude whatever little sects you want to, the same point would be valid. And, also, he doesn't need anything more than his Catholic background and what he knows about other people's backgrounds. Christians are very vocal. That's an understatement. They control this country. And to get back at another one of mine and other's points, Catholicism is Christianity. So, Keith's point of view is from Christianity and the book that defines Christianity and all the people in this country that parade around in the name of God.

Quote:
THIS IS MY ANSWER TO YOUR QUESTION. I'M SORRY TO BE A DOUCHE IN ALL CAPS ABOUT IT, BUT I DON'T WANT YOU TO MISS IT FOR THE FOURTH TIME AND HAVE TO ASK ME AGAIN.

I did answer your question. I made a really big deal about how I didn't want you to ignore my answer hidden in all the gibberish, and I even repeated myself. I'll do it again.

"Since you keep reiterating that your point isn't whether Keith is right or wrong but about how he keeps bringing it up, then I gotta jump back real quick to one of my points before you forget it was up there, lol. Listeners keep bringing it up. America keeps bringing it up. Politicians keep bringing it. God keeps bringing it up through his people. Keith is just responding, and his opinion on religion just happens to spark more interest than his opinion of his butt hole or his poop. Keith talks about his poop a lot, too. Hell, he talks about Tom Cotter a whole fuckin lot, too, but it's funny when he does that, so nobody gets riled up."
Old 10-07-2012, 07:37 PM   #30 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

Every show, Greg? You're either insane or a liar. And lying is a sin.