Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: ¿Is Jesse Joyce proficient in Spanish?
Sí. 73 39.67%
No. 111 60.33%
Voters: 184. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-16-2009, 09:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

1081: Excellence in Adequacy

"Your marriage is based on a lie already."

Jesse Joyce

Last edited by Keith; 11-16-2009 at 10:05 PM.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 12:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Modern Warfare 2 is for pussies.

Old 11-17-2009, 02:32 AM   #3 (permalink)

Strange, "comedy" seems to be nowhere found on Jessie's resume....

now that's funny.
Old 11-17-2009, 03:13 AM   #4 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

People who whine about MW2 on youtube are lifeless creeps who should be gutted and sold to necrophiliacs for a couple of dollars. End of argument.
Old 11-17-2009, 05:51 AM   #5 (permalink)

I agree with Chemda, if Jesse is Proficient in Spanish it means he is an expert at it... ergo fluent.

While I'm thinking of it... Synonyms for like are: according to, agnate, akin, alike, allied, allying, analogous, approximating, approximative, close, coextensive, cognate, commensurate, comparable, compatible, conforming, congeneric, congenerous, consistent, consonant, corresponding, double, equal, equaling, equivalent, homologous, identical, in the manner of, jibing, matching, much the same, near, not far from, not unlike, on the order of, parallel, related, relating, resembling, same, selfsame, such, twin, undifferentiated, uniform

Just because, like, Jesse seems to like, need to say, like, every like few words... and not everyone likes it.

LOL

Last edited by whatotherway; 11-17-2009 at 06:04 AM.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Here is a uni chart for studying abroad:
http://www.uq.edu.au/uqabroad/forms/language-grid.pdf

There are several levels of proficiency. The lowest one is A1, which can be summarized as "can understand common words and simple phrases, can interact in simple way provided the other person speaks slowly and clearly, can write simple stuff like holiday greetings"

Then there's A2 followed by B1, which is roughly "can understand TV, enter unprepared in a conversation, talk about ambitions, write about personal interests".

B2 is required to study abroad, which is roughly "can understand lectures, participate in discussion, write essays on my subject".

Proficiency ranges all the way up to C2, which is probably more than most native speakers can do as it involves putting forth logically coherent arguments.

Jesse is probably A1, definitely just barely in the range of "proficiency". I guess the desired definition for proficiency varies by subject for each resume. The required level for "proficient in acting" on Jesse's resume is much higher than the required level for "proficient in Spanish" on his resume, so I'd say it's fine. The meaning of proficiency in Spanish for a translator's resume certainly differs vastly from a comedian's resume.

Last edited by DWarrior; 11-17-2009 at 06:16 AM.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:15 AM   #7 (permalink)

south african?!!

Having lived in South Africa and being married to a South African, i can tell you that Jesse's SA accent is like listening to Dick Van Dyk trying to speak Cockney English. it was TERRIBLE! maybe that means he is "profficient" at it....
Old 11-17-2009, 08:50 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by riotstarter View Post
Having lived in South Africa and being married to a South African, i can tell you that Jesse's SA accent is like listening to Dick Van Dyk trying to speak Cockney English. it was TERRIBLE! maybe that means he is "profficient" at it....
Seconded. I had a South African girlfriend and his accent was just miles off.

But then, all Jesse's accents are awful. Lest we forget, here's a dose of his German (around the 12:45 mark):

But my favourite shitty Jesse accent has to be his Irish one (reference Joyce to the World: Track 26) where he actually punctuates his impression with comedy 'ta-tiddily-tiddily' noises to make it recognisable. Good grief. And he's one of those American types that calls himself Irish too!

Forshame, Joyce. Your resume is a tissue of lies.

Last edited by Badger; 11-17-2009 at 09:09 AM.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:12 AM   #9 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer

I'm shore Jessie speaks Spanish better than more than half of the people who checked that box off.

Buy the way, I'm really looking forward to today's show Keith, that Sarah Palin interview on Oprah is going to be aces!
Old 11-17-2009, 01:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by riotstarter View Post
I thought he sounded like Murray from Flight of the Concords. But he's from New Zealand, so I figured that was close enough.